Have you stopped upgrading. If so, why?

Simple answer yes and no :smiley:

Yes. Why? I’m very satisfied with what I have got! But… ask me again in six moths time.:wink:

For now - yes.
How long is now…

DB.

1 Like

I did a huge amount of upgrades last year: service and DR to all my Naim (except ND5), second REL sub, new speakers, new Fraim x 2, new tonearm, and isolators for speakers and TT.

In 2019 I plan to get a new cartridge. On the short list are Clearaudio Stradivari V2 and Benz-Micro Gullwing SLR.

After that there will be no upgrades, or reason to. I would like to change the ND5 to a NDX2, but don’t play it nearly enough to justify any further investment in digital hardware.

the poster formerly known as RaceTripper

I always say I’m done but it never transpires.

I am currently researching options for headphones and associated equipment to add to my Nova/Core/LP12 setup.

I will look into a speaker upgrade (from Linn Keilidhs) after that.

Wife is happy with her Qb x 2 :grinning:

Rgds

I had to downgrade because my employment situation got downgraded when I was declared “redundant” last August, and at a time in life (age 60, now 61) when it is not so great to be looking for work. So my XP5 XS just got sold recently…instead of upgrading to an XPS.

2 Likes

I’m sorry for you. I’m 60 so I can understand what a let down that would be, so close yet so far from retirement. Best wishes to you.

Just to add in regarding the Aria, it extends the lower end over the Stageline as well.

I would definitely audition one to see what you think. Try it with the Rega Reference mains cable as better mains cable really shows off what it’s capable of.

Yes many times.

4 Likes

Yes and no :slight_smile:

Basically, I found out that my system changes substantially every 12-14 years. I think it takes that long for technology to get to a point where a change makes a significant difference as opposed to a small incremental change. Since 1981, i’ve had 4 pair of speakers in my main system: Meridian M2 (active), Magneplanars MG3.5 and Magico Mini 2 followed by Q5. I’ve had 4 sets of amps: Jadis Defy-7, ASL Hurricanes, ARC610T and now the Constellations. I’ve had 3 record players: LP12, then a VPI Superscoutmaster (that was a mistake, I think of it as a retrograde not an upgrade) and now the SME. I’ve had 3 CD players, 3 phono stages (including the one in the Meridian 101 preamp), 4 preamps.

It usually starts with the speaker then that seems to drive everything else. Better speakers will require better amplification which in turn will require better sources … So the last item to upgrade in my current setup is to replace my 13 years old CD player that I am currently using as transport only with the new model. Then I’m set for another 12 years or so, if still alive :smile:

I know where your coming from, was made redundant February 2018 at the age of 61. Fortunately I have not needed to sell any kit, managed to find a part time seasonal job which covers the bills… roll on March when tourist season starts again down here in Cornwall.

1 Like

Thanks Nick,

I hope to audition in a month or two. Hopefully, extended bass is also tight controlled bass?

Probably stopped in terms of black boxes and don’t seriously envisage changing the wooden boxes unless they fail. That having been said, I’d really like to try a pair of PMC Fact 12s at home :thinking:. (Don’t tell the NBLs!)

Other than that, maybe cables or minor tweaks to my LP12.

I am very happy with my NDX, but not looking to move to NDX2 any time soon
next upgrade will be SCDR for 282 and then may be, just may be 252

Pretty much at where I want to be. Speakers (ProAc K6) are my ‘for evers’. Can’t imagine the 555DR or 250DR being improved upon. That just leaves the 272. I will never increase the box count, so only ‘upgrade’ possible would be a single box 272 replacement. I am so thrilled with the sound my system produces now that I have difficulty imagining how a ‘372’, were there ever to be such an animal, could improve things in a cost effective fashion. I certainly wouldn’t be prepared to part with £5k+ for marginal gains.

2 Likes

I am very satisfied of my kit at the moment. The amp/preamp are freshly recapped and the digital source perform almost as good as vinyl and FM. As for the speakers, I will certainly keep them until the ferrofluid dries up!

If I ever have to downsize one day, my insurance policy is a precious Nait 2 which I keep in a secure place just in case…

I am not planning to upgrade, but never say never. If you buy the best, there is no temptation to upgrade. That was why I bought the NDS.

I think that I’m blessed with a small awesome listening room that somehow brings out the best from what is running. Even from basic budget components it sounded great. Every step up has brought marginal improvements. More in that tactile sense of feeling the music as a closer communication.

No doubt moving up will get me closer still, but I’m not ready for my super warts and all close up just yet.

1 Like

Yes (sort of). …And I first stopped about 30 years ago!

Other than the early years when I was building a decent system, my upgrades have been spasmodic, mostly just when something died and needed replacing, or a chance spotting of a bargain too good to miss, though an inheritance 3 years ago led to some significant changes, the result a reminder whenever I play music of the person who introduced music to my life. However that also left me with some tweakery to finalise things, of which I think I am nearing the end.

Barring either something failing, or a lottery win, the only thing remaining for me now is to resolve the poor library handling of my chosen renderer - which might lead to hardware changes around it, though whether soon or in a year or three I don’t know.

1 Like