Have you stopped upgrading. If so, why?

i responded to a member who uses his cdx2 as first source and his nds/555 ps for convenience, as a second source. I am surprised because i personally went from cdx2/ xos2 to nds/555dr. This member prefers the sound of the cdx2.
But however i don’t deny his experience.

i have the unitserve too and i agree it was not so simple to run with the nds. But you should try , it’s a new world after, specially with hirez streamed by the nds from the unitserve. A lot of people can explain you here. My english is too poor to give you clear steps.

I will put 272/XPS2 against CDX2/XPS2 also, someone has done this test before?

Big difference compared to other DLNA servers, from WD for example? In SQ

Comment vous pouvez expliquer la différence? Merci

when i bought second hand nds and new 555 dr and unitserve 3 years ago, the nds was connected via a standard ethernet cable directly to my router. The sound was a bit less involving vs my past cdx2/ xps2.
The cdx2/ xps2 presentation was more immediate and urgent.
But during months i improved the network : linear ps to the unitserve, then dedicated switch with linear ps, then better quality ethernet cables, then cisco 2960 switch.
For me, the differences vs the cdx2/ xps2 now: the soundstage is a lot bigger, the sound is weighter , with more details, more textures, more fluent

Very similar experience to that @frenchrooster.

I actually used my CDX2 and NDX to ‘tune’ my streaming network to a point where NDX sounded as good as my CDX2.
The ‘tuning’ process was similar to that described above.

glad to hear that Adam. Perhaps, but i am not sure( my cdx2 is gone), the cdx2 was a little bit more immediate sounding, but i am not sure.

Me neither - my CDX2 is also gone.

I’m currently enjoying some Porcupine Tree on my Nova via Tidal. There’s plenty of grip, power, detail and sparkly cymbals. One can always have more, but this is better than anything I’ve had soundwise and will do fine.

1 Like

What about NS03 vs Unitiserv?

I use an NS01 because I had a lot of problems with the UnitiServe (discs not ripping, missing tracks, discs being scored by the reader etc.). The biggest advantage of the NS01 is that it has two internal 2TB drives, one of which is configured to be a back-up copy of the other, main drive. It also has a drawer load system, which I prefer.

I think it partly depends on your approach to listening to music. There are some who repeatedly listen to the same albums and cherish every nuance, others are more exploratory and relish being excited by new music. As there are only so many hours in the day and so many years of life expectancy I find that streaming has given me access to such a cornucopia of new music that I spend less time listening to my core library. Back in the 80s and 90s I didn’t have the same opportunities and ended up with a top multi box olive system and obsessed over cymbal timbre etc… I still like to listen critically to some extent but I find my Nova is plenty good enough to keep me happy. I certainly get more pleasure now from my system than I used to when I had the full monty.
Of course there could be other factors such as my hearing being less discriminatory as i age but I can still tell wav from flac and appreciate the improvement a Powerline offers so I’m not completely deaf yet!
In all honesty cost may also be an issue - I could afford say an ND555 and PS if i really wanted to but I’ve just got back from 2 weeks in the sun and I wouldn’t want to curtail my travels for incremental improvements in sound quality when I enjoy what I have so much. Everyone will have their own trade offs and that’s mine so barring radicalchanges in technology my Nova is probably my end game.

4 Likes

In that case, I strongly suggest that you NOT audition an ND555/PSU555. :grin:

Bailyhill

I hope not, and primarily because few things bring a smile to the face more than when you introduce a worthwhile upgrade that just presents well known music in a more coherent and enjoyable form - many simple systems sound fantastic, many albums you think might improve with better equipment don’t but many others do and are frankly transformed with hitherto unheard nuances of timing or vocal phrasing, layering of new sounds, hearing more notes than you’d ever believe were there before or elements that just didn’t register discretely on the older system.

In this hobby we often spend disproportionate amounts of our disposable income or credit availability on something that’s inconsequential to most folks.

I’ve mentioned before I’ve put my hi-fi upgrades ahead of more practical things - perhaps as these are easy choices for me.

As I get older I’m even more convinced that bigger upgrades will probably be needed in the next few years before the ravages of time affect my hearing or vision (AV systems), and spending now may well give better value for money, and longevity of enjoyment than waiting until I’m much older with fewer other financial commitments but less time and accurate senses to enjoy the music.

2 Likes

Minor upgrades planned but no more box upgrades. Spent way too much in the last year on my two main listening zones next big one will be when I retire or pay off the mortgage, what ever comes first.:scream:

1 Like

I have owned quit a bit in a short period of 2 years…sold it all and put it back into the bank
N272
555PS-DR
NAP 250DR
NAP 300DR
NAP 500DR
Super Lumina full loom
Focal Aria 926
Focal Aria 948
Focal Sopra 2
Focal Sopra 3
Focal Scala V2

1 Like

What a journey. Would like to hear more about it. I’ll bet you lost less money than if you put the money
in the market(us). Did you buy all that new?

Bailyhill

Ouch! Why?

every piece I purchased brand new and always came out ahead when items were sold