Have you stopped upgrading. If so, why?

I learned fast that if I did not have a full 500 series then I would never be happy

2 Likes

Seems to be the opposite of most people’s experience? The majority of forum members appear to buy second-hand as it saves them money. Share your secret?

“every piece I purchased brand new and always came out ahead when items were sold”

Are you selling your gear to Aliens?

1 Like

if you mean other Naim owners in the USA then yes

You should open a dealership then… NAIMxit Exports. I am assuming that the US guys are loosing the warranty in the process. Were all the speakers shipped across the Atlantic as well?

hifi mental health topic ?

Blimey. If I’d even tried to do that in the same time frame, my dealer would have stopped me and refused to sell until I had my head checked.

and what you have now? if i may ask

I am fortunate to have a full 500DR system driving a pair of ProAc D40R’s. The ProAcs, nice as they are, are the weak link. I have been offered a tempting demo pair of the ProAc K6’s. A nice low risk upgrade to the same size ProAc with nicer drivers and crossover which is sure to work in my room; high return on effort. But I have heard so much about the Kudos Titans and the Magicos that I am reluctant to commit.

Other than that and the occasional cable and cartridge, and a streamer someday, I am done.

1 Like

i have nothing since October and will wait if Naim releases a N272-2

I remember greekspec2’s journey by posts, it was fast, way too fast
we were Using same setup more or less 272/300

Now I am settled with 552/300/cd555 which I enjoy very much…

I will add ndx2, maybe a nap500 maybe a power supply for ndx2 maybe flip it with a nd555 4-5 years time…

Then I am ready to retiere:)

I even tried from 3m, 5m and 7m Superlumina cables …if I do another system I will buy 500 series with Scala Evo’s which I have the money in the bank for but will wait till I’m ready to pull the trigger

2 Likes

I’m now very much settled and won’t be making any further changes unless something breaks down. Over the last six months or so I’ve been trying different amps and speakers to replace the superb active ATC SCM40A speakers - they just offered too much bass for my modest room. Finally I decided on Simaudio Moon 330A power amp with Harbeth 30.1. Didn’t try Naim amps as they don’t recommend a third party DAC/pre (Hugo TT in my case) directly into their power amps.

Have to say the sound coming from my system at the moment is just wonderful and it’s hard to imagine how it could be improved.

1 Like

Was your experience with the 40A a Room - Speaker issue?
What is the square meter size of your music room?

1 Like

Hi Debs, yes, it was simply a room-speaker mismatch. SCM40A speakers are superb and I would have kept them if I had a room that could take the bass. I have a modest room (4m x 4.3m) with solid walls and suspended timber floor making it difficult to get a balanced bass sound

Your room shape is probably a bit too square.
A nice size tho’. Seems like you did the right thing going to sensible stand mounted speakers -
Your Harbeth look very good btw ; )

2 Likes

I have stopped at 282/HCDR/250DR level.

Nowadays my focus is on the streaming side of my hi-fi as lots of experiments made me realise there is much to be gained by trying to reduce noise from the network into the streamer and DAC.

Indeed products from Melco, Innuos and now the OpticalRendu (optical fiber input into USB out)

Or possibly when given the chance I would be very keen to try a Naim NDX2 as a pure streamer into my Chord Dave DAC.

1 Like

Interesting to see an audio device using an optical (or at least an SFP) network connection. Not sure I see a use for this device in my own system, but as I use fibre for my LAN, it might be handy to connect directly into it.
Not sure how relevant this would be to a regular copper Ethernet connected LAN, though.

Yes, the squarish shape won’t help.

The Harbeth’s look and sound great on the customised Custom Design SQ404 stands.

I found the Harbeth’s surprisingly similar to the ATC’s in the top end and mids, particularly for vocals. Both incredible, perhaps the Harbeth’s edge it. The ATC’s lick the Harbeth’s for bass quality/accuracy but the Harbeth’s reduced bass level is a better match for my room and is still very good for a ported speaker.

Is that happening, a N272-2?