Have you turned the heating on yet?

Ours is triggered once the thermostat registers 18 degrees after 6pm. This has happened for the past few evenings :disappointed_relieved:

We like to leave it until there’s a vicious cold snap and then try the heating - It’s more exciting that way! :smiley::grimacing:

6 Likes

We don’t usually turn the heating on until late-ish October.

I think I might turn it on tonight. The Nest on the landing currently reading 16c. I can’t see it getting any warmer tonight.

Seems cold for a September to me.

2 Likes

That will keep you warm.

1 Like

A couple of evenings ago i lit the stove for 1st time this autumn.
Very early it still being September, but the weather is being persistently crap.

Last night too with the stove but found it a bit too warm so tonight just a half hour of central heating to take the chill off the house, warm the towel rail, and heat the water in the cylinder.

7 Likes

Aircon provides us with heat at this time of the year for very little cost.

The GCH only goes on when it gets very cold.

1 Like

If you feel cold then put the heating on. Is that not the purpose of heating? I have never understood the logic of those who refuse to put it on until a particular date, such as 1 October.

4 Likes

I’m in Saudi Arabia so not had to turn the heating on just yet…

8 Likes

Just back from a week in Bulgaria where the temperatures were 30c - so when I saw the temps in UK I set it to come on before we got back to the house. My partner has also had our electric blanket on a few times. It is a cold September.

1 Like

It’s been 16 in the house all day so I got fed up and turned the central heating on. This September does seem particularly chilly.

5 Likes

We don’t think about it, having a combi boiler, with zone and room thermostats to decide if heating needed, so not a conscious thing to turn heating on. I think normally nothing from maybe late March/early April through to some time in October, but I don’t know thus year having been away. However in France with campervan it has been decidedly chilly at times, even as far south as the Lot valley and worse once up in Champagne region, although we didn’t resort to putting the heating on. That and the rain, has somewhat dampened the holiday. If doesn’t help that my wife is strictly a fair weather cyclist!

Yes I succumbed and put the heating on for an hour this morning, and an hour now. Hot water still heated mostly by solar, even today with some nice sun, albeit brief this afternoon.

2 Likes

We have been staying not a million miles from you, at Itchenor for a few days, using a static caravan site as a cheap base for some walking. It was really cold last night. The heating went on this morning when I got up to make tea.
I’m home in Nether Wallop for one night and it isn’t much warmer here, so although the heating isn’t on…….

4 Likes

Not yet, but I need to install the studded tires on my car soon…

1 Like

Tuesday is looking like it could be sunny. Just wondering what time will people put on their sunglasses?

4 Likes

I rarely take them off adopting a Zaphod Beeblebrox approach to avoiding unpleasant things :joy_cat:

It has been bloody cold though for weeks - at last Mrs AC has agreed.

3 Likes

Photochromic specs so no need for sunglasses. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Rather than making snippy comments, you could always come up with your own desperately interesting thread.

1 Like

A network cable thread comparing Type A wiring format vs. Type B. :thinking::wink:

They just alter light intensity. in my experience the only sunglasses worth having are polarised. (Meanwhile in answer to @Count.d, as soon as possible after the time when the sun’s light intensity exceeds the level considered tolerable by my retina, so a function of sun polar angle relative to me, its angle of elevation, the reflectance of objects in my line of sight, the degree of my eyes’ tiredness, and what my eyes are doing for me.)