Have you turned the heating on yet?

This is how my room stat works too :+1:

1 Like

Got a Vileda one years ago, but never used it! No idea where it is either.

Well that’s one of those myths. Leaving it on 24/7 obviously uses more energy, but the house is at a more constant temp. If the temp goes down to 16c when off, then there’s less energy being used than to keep it at 18c. You can’t change the laws of physics.

1 Like

If setting of 1 is 20 degrees, what will 10 take you to, tropics?

1 Like

I used meter readings to work it out.
The efficiency of the boiler is higher under a low load.

Next time you are driving on the motorway wait for your speed to drop to 50mph then use full throttle to get back to 70mph. Repeat and see how your mpg changes.

2 Likes

The efficiency of the car is totally different. You’re getting there quicker so the engine is on for a shorter time and about another long list of energy physics numbers.

1 Like

Just got back from the Algarve yesterday from basking in sunny 25C to windy wet 15C.

UK weather is sh*t.

We’ll be selling up one of our homes when ready to retire and source a retreat in Portugal to spend the winter months.

Will avoid the furore and constant debate on energy prices.

The only thing I’ll need to worry about is sourcing 2-pin adaptors for my hifi :slightly_smiling_face:

Think MILES per gallon.

1 Like

Clearly it’s designed with a lesser efficient home in mind.

We were ( perhaps still are) thinking of similar but here in the comfortable climes of mid France. I need to set up a home in the UK for Mrs Bruss to feel comfortable should I have an earlier demise than I would like. If it’s a permanent home I want quiet and near solitude, from traffic particularly. Mrs Bruss wants somewhere within 2 hours of Northampton, Cambridge and Chelmsford. Suffolk/Norfolk border seems to suit both wants. The weather may be a little colder and definitely damper than the average here. I am now looking at whether we can afford to take the chance on a smaller place in the UK and keep this place for a while to see how that suits. The only thing against that is the cost, both emotional and financial of not having the investment in a permanent home.

I’m a war baby and suppose I just got used to being cold in the winter. We had ice on the inside of the windows and I still remember holding on as long as possible because the wc was outside but not down the bottom of the yard like some.
The heating was a fire range with oven attached. Scrumped coal when the money ran out.
Father came back from wherever his King had sent him when I was six so things were probably a little better then.

As it was.

6 Likes

I remember ice on the windows, then it would melt and gather on the wooden frame and turn black with mildew then rot

Huddled around a single Gas fire, with a pile of 50p’s to load the meter, then the nice return from the gas man when they collected it

Those were the days

4 Likes

Our windows never get condensation on the inside, but they do on the outside on chilly nights, That is the effect of triple glazing and whole house heat recovery ventilation - the condensation on the outside is akin to that on cars etc, because the outer pane of glass to all intents and purposes is not warmed by heat from inside the house.

2 Likes

We get it on the outside in spring and autumn sometimes. That’s just with double glazing, but it’s very modern with big air gaps.

Big gaps don’t mean better and at a certain dimension (about 20mm) the thermal properties go downhill.

No doubt heated double (or more likely triple) glazing is available somewhere!

We’ve had the heating on morning and evening for over a week now. We first put it on after overnight outside temps dipped to around 1 to 3C. Around about an hours drive further north there were temps recorded as low as -4C last week. I think our heating is now on until spring.

1 Like

What is becoming available, and I think very interesting though when or whether it ever becomes mainstream I don’t know, is vacuum insulated double glazing - nearly twice as insulating as even triple.

Optimum gas gap between the glass is 14-16mm
Larger gap can allow gas convection (movement) and increase heat transfer.

1 Like

This is yet another example of how this forum can be educational. Thanks for this bit of info.

1 Like