Have you turned the heating on yet?

You’ve just Googled that and are restating what I know. Actually, there’s more modern methods now being promoted that are thinner than the 15mm norm. The spacer edge bar, pvc profile and construction make a very large impact on the thermal efficiency of a window.

I know all this, because (without going into detail) my work revolves around this a lot.

There, I just made the 100th post on the most amazing subject thread this year. This place is incredible.

1 Like

Today’s rain has reminded me of other potential sources of moisture leading to condensation in my home. These alleged sources are around 4 kg in weight, highly mobile and regularly return wet from forays into the garden and neighbourhood, Once home they like to dry themselves on bed spreads, upholstery, trouser legs etc, towels are not a suitable way to get dried.

4 Likes

I posted it for the forum, I jkust used your post to link the subject

1 Like

I looked up ours. 18mm argon filled gaps triple glazed.

We went through the first winter and even if it hits -20c outside, inside, the windows are not even cold to the touch.

be careful what you wish for

1 Like

Same spec as mine. I only ever have external condensation.

I’ve given in too, heating on and winter quilt on the bed and Mrs Hanumike now has a smiley face

Yep just as I described! Some useless double glazing salespeople have the audacity to claim DG is as good as TG. They (deliberately or blindly) take specs for best DG with best spacers etc, and compare with specs for TG from decades ago. Anyone who makes such claims either doesn’t know what they’re talking about or is deliberately misleading, perhaps having a vested interest. When both are done as well as can be, TG inevitable is better, significantly so, though the smaller the window the less the difference as the frame becomes the limiting factor.

I lit the wood burner in the evenings over the weekend, just for a bit of comfort.
However, last night the bedroom thermostat tripped, as had the one in the evening room. I don’t think the underfloor heating was on for long because the thermostats are set at 16 degree C.

I suspect I will need to order a load of logs before Christmas this year … first time in nearly 20 years.

1 Like

Apologies, I’d misread feeling_zen’s post and just latched onto the 18mm Argon filled bit. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Mine are just double-glazed. The living room window is 2.3 m x 1.3 so lots of glass. If it was north or sea facing I’d be having a triple-glazed unit, no question.

5 Likes

We’ve had an erratic spring, winter ended with record temperatures of 30+c but spring has swung between mid 20s to 15c (daytime temps).

Hard to know wether you need a blanket or a fan.

Things should settle down within the next few weeks.

2 Likes

Two years ago our warm air boiler started playing up. It was 42 years old, so had done well, albeit, having the hot water burner disconnected a number of years ago as no parts available.

It was replaced with a Combi Boiler and Heat Exchanger system. Far more efficient and much, much more warmer, plus hot water on demand.

This year, we changed the thermostat for a Nest thermostat, which I’ve found very easy to set up and use.

The heating has been coming on the last few days as the house temperature has dipped to the temperature settings on the Nest.

Must admit that that it is nice when the heating is on.

DG…

2 Likes

Finally gave in on Tuesday as the ASHP uses what I can export at a good profit from the overnight three hour battery charge on the Octopus Flux tariff and the solar has been nonexistent this week. Using about 8kWh for heating at a cost of £1.15. The wood burner is lit for the evening.

Phil

3 Likes

My stepfather recently replaced a boiler that was around 60 years old. It was still working fine, albeit some what inefficient by modern standards. He only changed it because he felt at 86 he was too old to do the annual wick replacement etc, none of the local heating engineers wanted to take this on. probably because they hadn’t been born when it was installed.

4 Likes

The first central heating system we had in the village ran on coal that was delivered by lorry that drove through once a week. If you wanted a bag you had to be quick! It looked like a top loader washing machine. You poured the coal in the top and took ashes out the bottom.

Running out of coal wasn’t the only reason to be cold. Having coal but running out of those fire lighter blocks needed to get it going was equally dire. This wasn’t like 1935 either. This was 1986!

Cottages in the Cotswolds are only idyllic until winter comes :laughing:

4 Likes

My neighbour still has coal delivered, and another one exchanged coal for an ASHP last year (mind you he had to improve his insulation with recycled aircraft insulation). Times are a changing.

Not in Duns Tew. :joy:

2 Likes

Hi feeling_zen

Were you born in the Tews ?
I was born in Chippy !