HDMI ARC on Samsung TV stopped working with my Atom

Hi Gents,

Miracles happen sometimes…Samsung released a new firmware upgrade two days ago, I installed it yesterday and gave the NAIM HDMI input a try. It worked perfectly! Even the Auto HDMI port selection was operational and this was a nice surprise as I never managed to make it work in the past.

Bottom line: update your Samsung firmware, this should solve your HDMI issues.

4 Likes

Job for tomorrow. Thanks.

I am experiencing the same. No HDMI sound after updating to 3.5.0. Naim support only responded it was not their fault. They did not show any interest in firmware versions, cables etc. That is more than disappointing for a company who claim to manufacture high end products. At least the Germany sales and service contractor were able to downgrade my Nova to 3.3.0 and now HDMI works again.

I am open to believe it is (partly) and issue of the Samsung FW but the Naim downgrade proves that their FW also takes part of this issue.

I am curious to see if this gets resolved some day or if I need to buy a new TV.

Hi @Xtefan,

My experience is that things are usually not 100% black nor 100% white. My HDMI problems started with a NAIM firmware upgrade and I was convinced that it was a NAIM issue. They were sorted out with a Samsung firmware upgrade which suggests a Samsung issue. It’s fair to say that I was wrong somewhere… :wink: The thing I know for sure is that the current firmware combination works for my Atom, I’ll try to save the current firmware versions in order to be able to reinstall them in case of future compatibility problems. Good luck for your devices!

Hi @vdonev,

Thanks for your insight on this. May I ask you which FW combination you are running? Many thanks in advance.

Hi @Xtefan,

I am running the 3.5.1.4972 NAIM version and the 1372 Samsung firmware version.

Good luck!

Hi @vdonev,
Thanks for your info, it works for me, too!

No update for my UK Samsung 2020 43" Frame.
Software version 1403.
Auto update is enabled.

No sound via ARC still.

Have you contacted tech support about this? I would advise this. In the meantime use TOSLINK optical as a workaround.

Thank you. Toslink works.

Are you suggesting NAIM or Samsung ?

Ideally both, but try Naim support first, just in case they are unaware of this. I know that Naim have an ex-Samsung tech onboard who is keen to ensure that Naim devices can successfully handshake with Samsung TVs. Of course, it does sometimes mean that changes have to be made at Samsung’s end too with fw updates. HDMI handshaking is never straightforward!

Seems there’s HDMI and HDMI all the same but different

Thanks to the HDCP handshaking protocols, they’re all the same, yet all peculiarly different too…

Hi All, I’ve recently bought the Samsung Q95T 2020 model, and it’s running the very latest samsung firmware and my Nova does not work on HDMI arc. If I connect by optical cable the Nova does work. This TV replaces a 3 year old Samsung which worked perfectly on HDMI arc, so I know it’s not my Nova.

There does appear to be loads of chatter on the samsung community about this issue with other makes of audio kit, so I don’t think we are alone.

I’m going to raise the issue with Naim support .

My Nova is running the very latest firmware.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.