Hell is

We need to find a way to capture the energy released on those topics. We can supply sufficient energy for a midsize city certainly.

6 Likes

Next-door neighbours noisy lawnmowers

Do lawnmowers really need to be so LOUD?

And why do neighbours always take turns mowing their lawns in relay so there is always one noisy lawnmower at any time blaring away from one direction or other?

1 Like

You have to wait until the next lawnmower stops before you start yours, so you can judge whether yours is performing properly. It’s called synchronicity I think? It’s part of the rhythm of suburbia.

2 Likes

Maybe the answer to the original question is simply ‘next-door neighbours’.

1 Like

Some people simply love to show off their ‘power tools’ at every opportunity as well, or so it seems here - normally early on weekend days when I want a lie in, or any bloody Bank Holiday when you want to relax.

I’d been planning to clean moss from the street facing wall for weeks until our neighbour jet washed his recently - I cannot bring myself to do it now for fear of ‘copying him’.

No problem, just buy a bigger and noisier jet washer

3 Likes

I suspect that Stalag 17b might have been true hell so do why neighbours imitate those surroundings by introducing million watt motion sensitive halogen lights on the end of garden sheds so that any passing rat or hedgehog lights up my bedroom sufficiently to shorten my slumbers.

3 Likes

They’re probably worried about someone breaking into the shed to steal their precious 150dB lawnmower.

1 Like

Waiting in the airport departure lounge, praying that the family of uncontrolled children ends up nowhere near you on the plane, only to find they are sat in the row behind you. And their parents are right at the back of the Airbus. Made worse by them refusing to play their games/movies on their tablets through headphones, preferring the speakers instead.

Mind, a little bit of heaven in being able to discretely elbow the back of the head of the little darling sat in the aisle seat as you return to your own from the airloo.

1 Like

As a full on misanthrope, definitely other people!

I love dogs. Well all animals nearly. Pure hearts.

But dogs not under control are a menace. I’ve had many dogs but Mrs. FZ isn’t a furry pet person. Sometime people create their own dog menace though. True story: My sister was out walking her elderly shih-tzu. Meets neighbour. Said neighbour goes gooey at cute dog. My sister verbally warns, “Don’t put your face up to theirs. They can snap. In fact don’t put your face up against any dog’s snout. It’s not safe.” Said neighbour replies in baby speak, “This little darling not a threat. Oh no you’re not. You’re just lovable aren’t you.” Dog promptly snaps and nearly tears the end of the neighbour’s nose off (massive reconstructive surgery). Immediately through gushing blood, “I’m suing you! You and your menace dog!” They tried to have to animal destroyed!

3 Likes

I’m with you re the power tools, the one that really gets me is the ubiquitous leaf blower! A neighbour has a gardener who arrives about once a month, without fail out comes the blower, the irony is he always wears ear mufflers whilst blowing a couple of leaves around the garden. They’ve been banned in a few states in the US now and hopefully that will extend to Europe sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

I few years ago I was finishing the build of a wooden kayak in my parents’ garage as the house we owned at the time didn’t have one.

Almost all the work on it was with hand tools, but the initial sanding called for an orbital sander. The kayak resonated like an expensive loudspeaker and it was a bit loud even with the garage door closed and as much blanketing as I could drape.

Anyway, a neighbour banged on the door and I sheepishly came out and said I was very sorry, I was nearly finished and that it must be like having a rock band practicing in the garage. She gave me a very strange look and scootled off.

A while later I was talking to the person who owned my parents’ house before them and she cracked up laughing at the story. It turned out that the grumpy neighbour’s kids had indeed been part of a band, which practiced regularly in her garage and drove everyone else in the street to distraction!

4 Likes

… a fairy story.

2 Likes

In Heaven: The cooks are French, The policemen are English, The mechanics are German, The lovers are Italian, The bankers are Swiss.
In Hell: The cooks are English, The policemen are German, The mechanics are French, The lovers are Swiss, The bankers are Italian.

13 Likes

From experience, exceptionally painful.

Allegedly similar to the pain experienced by a woman being in labour (according to my wife who is a doctor)

3 Likes

Hell is buying and integrating a five figure sound system to find your room has horrific acoustic problems

3 Likes

Hell is -

in your head.

1 Like

Hell is opening most news sites these days.

9 Likes

14 Likes

That’s about right!