Hell is

… and Gladiator

Should the answer not be “The Time Machine”!

He is ‘Lost in Translation’

Translation in the 4th dimension?

Actually I was in Shibuya on a rainy day in 2003 when they were filming a scene for that. Thought, “That bloke looks a bit like Bill Murray” who I also thought was an onlooker like me. Carried on walking. Months after, the film was released and the penny dropped.

3 Likes

Hell is realising that what you considered fantastic viewing in your youth/young adulthood hasn’t aged well and nostalgia cannot make up for the fact it was actually sh1te. :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes

Or you see it with different eyes and it is completely different.

1 Like

My wife and I retired just before the first lockdown, she by a couple of months - me by a couple of weeks! For various political, human medical and pet-related reasons we did go into a void.

We keep having to add “two years” to any “how many years ago was it when we did……” conversations. :grinning:

5 Likes

Guess I’m lucky - I worked through the majority of lockdown…an odd time to be sure, but not lost time for me personally. Quite liked the non-crowded commute!..For my wife it was different as she’s really close to her family up North - no visiting over that period. She worked through most of it too but the loss of physical family contact was the worst, for her.

1 Like

Here life changed. Plans were stopped and time passed can’t be recovered. Many in the same boat of course. Now to replan and a modified future.

2 Likes

That’s the case for me too. It’s very strange.

It’s just a case of the neighbours on either side of you checking that your stereo listening capacity is working properly!

Lockdown never happened here but the effect was similar. My wife’s mother went into a mental care institution in 2019 and wasn’t allowed visitors during the adjustment period. Then covid struck and visitors were banned entirely until just recently. Mrs.FZ hasn’t seen her mum in over three years. The grandkids have gone from toddlers in pushchairs and nappies to school kids in that time. Stolen time.

1 Like

Yes, I think this is one of the saddest losses. The effect of isolation on those who had to be isolated and the effect on the mental health of all of us associated with that. Many died alone and the best efforts of the health service and carers can not be cited as a substitute for family.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.