Help me downsize :-)

with that speakers, no problem with cats

3 Likes

Interesting… thanks for pointing that out

If you can get to one stack that takes up the same floor space however high so assuming Fraim that is 6 boxes a 250 and no foreign ps should get you there. As you didn’t mention losing the RP10 I assume that’s non negotiable. I’d be more worried about the kids than the cats and the turntable than the speakers, is a moving coil cartridge compatible with teenagers or would something with a replaceable stylus more appropriate, well you’ll find out soon enough but it would be a shame to have to replace the superline so leave that as is for now. That just leaves the speakers, something that its on the boundary would be ideal but these usually need a solid wall behind them and in the UK something from Naim like SBLs would be a good match to a 250 or even a pair of n-sats mounted on brackets if they need to be out of the way and you can adapt to no deep bass but if you need deep bass you’re not going to be downsizing. Over the pond and keeping the boundary idea maybe Wilson Duettes could work if you find a used pair, they wouldn’t be viable new if freeing funds is important but used they might be, I don’t know how they’ll get on with a 250. If free space speakers are needed you’re going to have to audition but go for something designed to work with the grills on.

this is true. cats need some resistance from the material to get their ya-yas out. anyway, if need be, I assume that replacement grills are available for the Sopras.

i say move the lot over to your new place and see how you get on. no need to do anything rash. for example, while an active ATC setup seems like an ideal solution, i’ve heard from many on here and elsewhere that ATCs need some volume to open up – which may not work given @zipperheadbanjo and his new housemates!

Been waiting for this suggestion. Frenchroooster - you went there. :grinning:

3 Likes

How about doing something more radical? Sell the lot and start again. Get an Atom and some small floorstanders, or a vintage Nait or shoebox separates. In a new environment, you won’t then be making direct comparisons with your old system, and you will get a system that still allows you to engage with your music and have fun. (Plus you will have a healthy pile of cash in the bank, so the fun of upgrading is still an option.)

The problem with your downgrade idea so far is that your current system is pretty well balanced (other than that your NDX2 is crying out for a PSU upgrade in a system at that level!) and the only real option you have is to swap the 300 for a 250, and if you like what the 300 does, you are going to miss it. Yet you will still have a big system with a lot of black boxes, at least in the eyes of your partner, I suspect.

3 Likes

I’m trying to remember if it’s you who has the orange Sopra 2s. If so, even though I think the black ones look awful, I’ve always rather liked the orange ones.

I tend to agree with the point made above about the only way to realise a decent sum is to sell the 552, which would be a shame.

It’s worth addressing a few points:

Do you actually need to free up money?
What does your partner think about it all?
Would your current system fit in the new space?
Are you actually ready to downsize? Would you feel resentment that your partner had forced you into it and be resentful, which would not be good.

Remember that if you were to add the PS your NDX2 needs, that would be six boxes. It would fit on one tall or two short stacks. Would that work in the new room? The Rega is best on a Rega wall shelf, which is tiny. I think the most important is to sit down together and work it out. The new home is a shared space and must work for everyone. I’d strongly suggest that you simply move everything in if it will fit properly so it can work at its best. Maybe you are using the cats as an excuse to change speakers?

2 Likes

Well, TT, Superline, PSU and lots of LPs (presumably) would clean up quite a bit of space… :slightly_smiling_face:

I said this too. A bit radical I think.

G

Yes, but he wouldn’t be the first person ever to survive the loss of a 552!

2 Likes

I looked at the grilles handed to me by the dealer for my home trial in disbelief, but as you say they offer good protection from over enthusiastic/inquisitive animals and the look is beginning to grow on me.

I rather like the matt white ones without the grille, but Mrs Roog wasn’t keen. Cherry finish offered a safe middle ground looks wise.

1 Like

If you don’t like the grills, just leave them off. They’re held on magnetically which leaves a nice clean front face if they’re not used. I believe ATC voiced them with the grills on, but I cannot hear any difference either way.

Roger

1 Like

Can’t help, but these ATC grilles always remind me of ladies underwear.

I will refrain from posting an example here …

2 Likes

Ladies with metal underwear? You clearly frequent an, erm, interesting world! (Chastity belts?) :grinning:

1 Like

Selll everything get a Sony walkman 1z or new SP2000 ( if you are into the streaming ) with a Focal Stellia closed headphones… this is what I call downsize, don’t underestimate this rig, you can be very happy in your silent corner, enjoying it all

Or maybe some Totem standmounter, taking advantage if you’re in Canada… :wink:

1 Like

I like this suggestion. Clean slate. Simple. I also like the SN2 or SN3 option the more I continue to ponder it… with a pair of Totem Sky floor standers (there’s a pair available gently used for a great price a local dealer).

With respect to my partner… she unequivocally does not want me to sell anything. She loves the gear… both the way it looks but especially the beautiful sound it makes. She’s a music nut.

2 Likes

Then keep what you have. I don’t know if you have been living in a family with kids before but you need to ensure that you have something which is for you. Just don’t live only for the others only.

Tell yourself that everything is financially written off and if something gets damaged it is no issue. Accept that the mc cartridge might be gone by greedy fingers - so be it. All of my loudspeakers had the volume on 100% at least once. This is for a well setup system no problem.

You always can consider insurance. My loudspeakers have custom made steel grills.

My cat did not damage anything.

1 Like

My cat didn’t damage the HiFi, the Ercol seat covers yes, the HiFi no.

Just keep the source