Help! nDAC failure!

With each successive upgrade (the latest being the new firmware), I’ve noticed that whilst good recordings sound even better, some formerly good or even acceptably-sounding recordings suddenly drop into the “nause-up” category.

Examples: Better - “Stanley Clarke & Friends Live At The Greek”

Worse: “Rumours. Fleetwood Mac”.

Woe, woe and thrice-times woe…

Crikey. I don’t think I’ve ever had a system of any kind that made Rumours sound bad. There are of course many variations in quality depending on source, mastering, re-mastering, cutting, pressing etc.

Best I reckon was the vinyl 45rpm version released a few years back. However, on digital it was also very well served and there was even a rather good hi res version on DVD-A.

2 Likes

Agree, thats odd. FM’s Rumours is well recorded and - in my experince - always sound good.

I have a Nautilus LP remaster - and the official 3-CD set. Both are good…!!

Not “bad”, just worse.

The opener “Second Hand News” now has less separation between instruments and a harder sound lacking in bass definition, whereas “Dreams” retains it’s sparkle. Similarly from track to track through the album.

Jimmy Page’s Led Zeppelin remixes remain a desicration for which he should be hung drawn and quartered however, but at least that’s consistant.

Source is Qobuz.

Have you tried a proper reset (and power down - plug out) of the ND5XS2?

“Proper”?

Full. Worth doing in case the sound is off following a Fw update. Just be sure to save or make a note of anything you will lose by doing a full reset.

1 Like

… and that’s just hitting the “Reset app” function in the “Other settings” menu?

No, that’s just for the app. You need to stick a pin in the hole in the back of the streamer.

And for at least 10 secs according to the documentation. @MikeD check out the support page and search for reset:

No problems… less Fltwd M*c!

Worryingly, there’s still plenty of potential for @MikeD to upgrade. Depending on the exact upgrade / ‘nause-up’ transition ratio in play here, he could end up with a Statement-level system and only one listenable album…

More seriously, I’ve observed the same phenomenon moving from 272 to NDS / 252. No regrets though!

@MikeD Did you try the full reset and did it make any difference?

This thread has prompted me to queue up FM’s Rumours album - such a a great album indeed. Oh, and don’t get to ‘put the kettle on’ whilst doing a factory reset, tea is key through this process…

So I’ve reset and all appears well with the app functionality except that now my NAIM DAC is not functioning.

If I power down the DAC and then switch on, the “sync” and “hd” indicator lights flash back and forth then go dead. Album input is running, but nothing is happening. Pressing the front panel buttons does nothing. Everything is plugged in exactly as it was before reset. The DAC manual offers no indication. What am I not getting?

I’m assuming the correct channel input on the Ndac is selected? I think it defaults to channel one on a power down/up. If you are using the other inputs you will have to select them. Just a hunch?

I don’t understand what you mean by “channel”.

There’s two DIN to SPDIF inputs in the back. I’m connecting to the same one as before the reset.

There’s 5 buttons on the front:

Dock/prev/next/stop/play

Pressing them doesn’t make any difference.

What input are you using on the back?

DIN to SPDIF.

The first SPIFD on the left if you were looking from the back is channel 1, so that should be green. If it’s the second one then it’s channel 2. Just wanted to check you were on the correct channel.