Help needed

You are absolutely correct @james_n. That was indeed me and there were multiple issues as follows:

• an individual (not me) had misconnected the system, possibly whilst they were in some pain, and it had been that way for some time. The consequence of that was that my 200 required a repair. I hope that sounds sufficiently non-emotive. I was very angry in the specific circumstances Also…

• Mark Raggett from Naim spotted that my Burndy didn’t sound spot on and gave me his.

• my Hi-Line was broken and also required a repair.

Prior to the above being resolved I had 2 HC 2s (1 for a Headline) and was convinced something was wrong with the newer 1. I sold the Headline and what I’d guessed was the okay HC 2. My dealer then decided that rather than get the other HC 2 repaired he’d just take it off my hands in exchange for the difference between that and a HC 2 DR.

In retrospect there’s a suspicion that the faulty HC 2 was an initial symptom of all of the above.

Having said all that, 100% confident it ain’t that. @Richard.Dane spotted that my Burndy appeared to have the white collar closer to the XPS 2 than the CDX2. That was rapidly switched. Everything else is fine to the best of my knowledge.

More importantly, some interesting developments.

Two nights ago (late enough for me to forget to post it) I spotted that the 2 cables (SNAICs?) coming out of the HC 2 DR were on the inside of the Burndy and suddenly touching it. Powered down and moved them to the outside and definitely not touching. Having a manic week in and out of work so could really have done with mischief listening time rather than all this so decided to go to bed after powering up and just let it settle.

Following @HappyListener’s last post I decided to work my way back through from the top of the thread before checking the speaker cables at the amp end and putting the lavender interconnect in instead of the Hi-Line.

My first post mentions the latter looking fine albeit twisted.

I’ve just methodically untwisted it in situ. along 90% of its length. Couldn’t do the last bit at the CDX2 end as it felt unnatural compared to the pre end.

Put on Kacey Musgraves. Instant warmth and clear bass. Not earth shattering but noticeable. Quickly worked through another KM track; Misty in Roots; some Bob Marley and our fave Shawn Colvin test track and, er, we appear to be back in business. Got some TV to watch now so I’m going to let it settle and see if the pair of us were hallucinating it after that.

Fingers crossed but watch this space.

Ok good stuff Mike and fingers crossed that you’ve got to the route of the problem. Sounds like a frustrating period but hopefully one that’s nearly resolved !

James

Quick midnight blast through a bit of Christine And The Queens. Mrs. H. and I are pretty convinced we’re back in business. Will put it on a bit louder tomorrow; see for sure and report back.

2 Likes

Hmm. Disappointed this morning. We have very clean bass with no overhang. It’s also not especially strong. However, I think now is the time to step back and see how things settle. System has been powered down several times since last week so it now needs leaving alone awhile and then reviewing.

2 Likes

It may have been the vigorous plug and connector exercise in part, although it seems the HiLine got swapped for lavender (because it was the issue?). I don’t do vigorous any more! I thought your Burndy looked stressed by bending to sharply. I understand it’s best to let them hang under their own weight to absorb vibration. Use pipe insulation if they can touch.

Phil

Not sure I follow that. The plugging/unplugging was after the problem occurred. I was planning to put the lavender in but haven’t as manipulation of the Hi-Line and/orrelocating ththe SNAICs appears to have moved things forward.

The Burndy has no sharp bends in it at all.

Have you tried cutting off the plugs off at both ends and having those replaced with new ones by someone who knows exactly how they should be done? Even down to using the right type of solder?

The person who sold me A5; soldered it for my ES11s links; resoldered and recut it for my 202 is someone I’ve dealt with for 20 years. No issue there.

Ok. If you’re sure then that’s fine. Just trying to help you eliminate another possible thing, that’s all. That one has caught me out in the past which is the reason why I mention it, cheap to sort out too.

Hope you find the solution soon!

Thanks. Letting it all settle now ahd heading out to the football. Will be doing some serious listening tomorrow I’d guess.

Now things have settled down, are you back on track now with regards to SQ, Mike ?

1 Like

Not had a chance to check. My 13 year old is in hospital so I’ve been shuttling back and forth. Hopefully get a chance Sunday.

Hope he/she gets better soon Mike.

1 Like

Yes much more important - hope all is fine with your 13 yr old.

1 Like

Thanks y’all.

Very unwell 13 year old (multiple arm break and complex surgery to re-break; chisel away and pin/plate) and his mother have spent the morning listening to the Hamilton soundtrack. Both very content with the sound. Mrs. H. is very particular and had sat listening to the whole thing whereas she’d normally walk or say if something is wrong. I’ve been doing stuff and flitting in and out. It’s on the lean side for me but I noticed the dynamics on the tv were back last night, dramatically so, so I suspect I may have simply forgotten what it ought to sound like.

Just listened to an especially high vocal hold from Hamilton and it was expressive but fully controlled. I think we may indeed be back in business.

New sofas due in May so that presents another opportunity for me to kick something and mess it up.

2 Likes

Finally had time to sit and listen. Playing 4 new albums. Sounding absolutely fine. Fairly confident it was largely the Hi-Line.

1 Like

All well with the world. Playing album after album and balance absolutely restored.

1 Like

Great news Mike. Just don’t kick anything…:wink:

Damn right :slight_smile:

New sofas arrive in May though. So, there is scope …

2 Likes