Help please!

Every operating system provides a File Open dialog window, that applications can use if they need such a window (so that you can open a file). Mac has one, Windows has one, Linux has one. In your picture, this is the normal File Open dialog window of Windows. Apparently the forum software uses it (via the browser) so that you can choose a photo to upload. This should just work, and if it does not, something is wrong.

(If the forum software on Windows previously used another way to choose a file to upload, this may have changed with the mentioned update of the forum software. Looks like they might have changed to using the standard File Open dialog now - maybe on purpose or a bug. I can only say that on Linux the forum software has already done this previously)

The behaviour does seem to have changed since the update. Before, you would be asked whether you wanted to upload an image from the 'net or locally. If the former you just pasted in the URL. Now you just get the File open window.

2 Likes

Uploading a photo is working fine.
What has gone missing is the choice to paste an image link. I used to use this all the time on mac as copy/paste image would not always work but image link did.

1 Like

yes thatā€™s correct, I was still able to load a photo onto the thread via my phone, but not laptop. i think I will have to be talked through this as I am obviously not quite savvy to the new instructions.

Interestingā€¦ I have just pasted the URL of an image from a website into the file open window where it says File name: and it works.

p

I tried that originally, but the open file box blocks any navigation to another website.

I got an interesting and unfamiliar dialog box this afternoon that said something like:

You have replied to [user] three times in a row, would you like to send a [direct message] instead?

I can access the Forum on my iPad.

I canā€™t access the Forum from my ThinkPad which is running on Windows XP with a FireFox browser. I can access the Naim website. But when I click on ā€˜Forumā€™ All I get is a white screen.

Is this a result of the Forum software upgrade ?

Everything was working fine last night.

Probably a request to @Richard.Dane to ask the web designer is needed?

I am quite sure I have seen that many times before - was it overlaying the preview box to the right of the edit box? I havenā€™t actually read this text in a long time but I seem to recall chuckling when I saw it the first time b/c o/c PMs are disabled

1 Like

How quaint :wink:

1 Like

It might be a consideration to upgrade to a newer Windows version one of these daysā€¦

ā€œAfter 12 years, support for Windows XP ended April 8, 2014. Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is critical to migrate now to a modern operating system.ā€

1 Like

The update was applied on Friday morning, so if all was ok last night then that was after the update. Iā€™ll need to ask our web developer on Monday if it may be the issue for you.

Hmm ,

My last post was actually on Thursday in the Grand Cafe, about coffee.

I am no longer certain whether I looked in on the Forum on Friday evening.

So far as I can tell, the Forum is the only site that I canā€™t access this evening.

Iā€™m not sure that my ThinkPad can accept the latest version of Windows !

Iā€™d be very grateful if you did ask. Itā€™s a bit restrictive using the iPad and I canā€™t upload pictures or diagrams.

Many thanks
Don

Don, have you tried deleting any history cache and any cookies and then re-starting?

Hi Richard, I have tried this twice today and still no joy.

When you open the forums you can try pressing Ctrl+Shift+i in the webbrowser, a console window will then appear that will display any errors occurring on the page. There should be none, but if there are any then the web developers will be interested to hear about them: