Hesitancy and anxiety

This is not a post about streamers. This is a post about hesitancy and anxiety.
I entered the Naim family because I wanted a good quality streamer. My first visit to the dealer I came out with a cd player. The second visit I bought an amp. Recently I went for a shop demo and came away with a new system rack. My dealer has offered me a home demo but I am thinking of changing my speakers instead.
Like I said this is not about streamers.
Why am I hesitating? Why am I anxious?
Perhaps it’s due to getting old and fearing new technology. Perhaps it’s due to these difficult times and not wanting further challenges.
I feel unable to leave my comfort zone or take risks.
Is anybody else feeling hesitant or anxious about taking decisions that they would normally take in their stride?
Like I said this is not about streamers.

4 Likes

Re hesitancy and anxiety, just the opposite in these times. At age 65 life is too short to hesitate. If I can do ‘it’, afford ‘it’ or am capable, then now is the time, not later.

Re the streamer thing. Naim seem to me to be behind the curve with updates and functionality, plus of course the technology is still constantly changing. It all still seems a bit ‘bleeding’ edge but there are simpler cheaper ways to stream if you just want to try it out before committing to a more expensive option.

4 Likes

Thanks. Very interesting point of view. And enviable outlook on life.

1 Like

The feelings you are expressing have been experienced by many of us, I have become forgetful (as long as I remember my trousers - that’s fine)

The unsurely you speak of is really about accepting change at a time of great change.

The things you are talking about are the things you feel certain about (my apologies for the cod psychology)

If you have a CD player, then there’s no need to rush

Best wishes

4 Likes

Thanks Ian for your comments

Do you feel the need to do so? Are you currently satisfied with you current gear?
If you feel uncomfortable with any type of move, I would stay quiet. Gaining time to clarify the why’s instead of being impulsive and burn money.

2 Likes

Hi,on my first visit to a Naim dealer,I was asked had I thought of a streamer ? My reply was that day will never come. He replied that if only he had £1 for everyone that said that,but then ended up buying one he’d be rich.Well a year later,and having read all of the problems that people appear to have with regard to streamers ,internet connections,and updates,I’m glad I’ve stayed with my CD’s and vinyl.Each to their own,but I’m quite happy to be a so called dinosaur :hugs:

8 Likes

The simple answer is yes. The problem is I have set the money aside and I’m struggling not to spend it.
I’m starting to understand that buying the cd player and amp was quite easy. I listened, liked what I heard, paid my money, took it home, plugged it in and forgot about it while just enjoying the music. Although this thread is NOT about streamers I realise that after purchase there would still be a lot to think about. And that’s where the hesitancy and anxiety creeps in.

1 Like

After a stressful end of career i then bought a Muso, then a Core to put the old cd’s on, it had that Naim sound…got me thinking?
I only spoke to the guy renting next door when he walked his dog, we spoke on the Sunday, his wife knocked on the door the following Tuesday, she told me he sadly had died. He was the same age as myself, so i started to enjoy my hard earned savings with family and friends. I know we all have different circumstances, but recent events for me, says life is far too short. I now have the Naim system i dreamt of, yes i am lucky, but i was doing paper rounds etc from the age of 14, time to enjoy.

15 Likes

Your thoughts and experiences are very similar to mine. The difference is that I really really want a streamer but I can’t bring myself to buy one. But because this thread is not about streamers the same would apply if I was buying a new car or conservatory.

1 Like

You’re the second person to express that view and am thinking you are absolutely right

2 Likes

Take care, not sure what you are going through, you can only guide the kids so much, care for parents…in all this you can forget it is your life.

5 Likes

I started with a Naim XS 2 and the the ND5 XS with a NAS and started using TIDAL and have not looked back. Have no fear, jump in and enjoy life, what ever questions you have there is a lot of support here on the forum.

Life is short, no matter how long we live, don’t worry jump in the water is fine!

Good luck with your decision.

8 Likes

Understand that I’m not Trying to be pedantic or preachy and full understand the views of like @Gazza @seakayaker. just think that although the recent events show the life’s to short, could not justify/ shape decisions that Are not as important. Let’s not be impulsive.
( my kingdom for a horse)

2 Likes

Thanks for those thoughts seakayaker. Best wishes to you in Seattle

3 Likes

I bought a 272 after quite thorough research and discussions on the old forum.

Then sold my CD5 and Rega Planar 3, and then my first editions, climbing gear, silk ties, and now even my vinyl to fund better hifi. I eventually decided to put everything on web streaming.

Streaming is well complicated, so you may as well admit that you cannot optimise everything and cannot get it entirely right first go.

All you can do is enjoy doing quite a lot of research and looking around - and listening to gear, preferably in people’s homes.

Decide what you want - i.e. engagment with the music (then get Naim) or lashings of cold hard analytical detail (then get dCS, Mytek or most other brands). Or the sweeter, warmer Chord sound?

And then take the splunge…!

1 Like

The important thing is don’t push yourself into any thing you feel uncomfortable with. I have three concerns about streaming.

1 The artist isn’t paid enough compared to vinyl or CD
2 The computer technology reliability doesn’t inspire. (Oh and Naim are pretty good as far as I can see)
3 I like physical ownership of the material

Best wishes

Ian

6 Likes

Adding the tactile experience of the manipulation (?)…

I find that a lot of folks who use streaming also own physical media. I gave up the use of a CD player but do own over 2000 CD’s and still buy new. The most recent purchases were two CD’s from Bill Frisell’s web site and then ripped them to my NAS. I still will use Qobuz to stream CD’s that I own since often they may be hi-res and also the artist is getting some compensation when I play an album.

5 Likes

To add to what Seakayaker says - you can always buy audio files or physical media from Bandcamp or the artists own site, or just send them a donation if you wish to be their patron - or go to their gigs (when those exist)…or even just watch their youtube channel and earn a few bob of them if they have monetized it…
or buy the t shirt…

3 Likes