Hi-Fi dealerships

I thought you meant Waitrose!:joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

My bad, it was Tescoā€™s I believe!

George

2 Likes

A bit more ā€œreassuringly expensiveā€ (Stella Artois)

1 Like

My local dealer Music Matters in Stratford upon Avon back open on Wednesday 17th June.
Appointment only at this stage.

It will be nice to see them back.
Ill be making an appointment to call in and say hello, make sure they are all OK, see what I might come away with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will be interesting to hear what sort of ā€˜somethingā€™ you might come away with!

ā€œHonest dear, I donā€™t know where that Linn LP 12 came from - it must have fallen into the boot of the car when I went out for a pint of milkā€!!

George.

2 Likes

Yes, it could be dangerous @GeeJay, must be disciplinedā€¦

1 Like

Geoff and Pete at Acoustica sent my best wishes for a gradual return to normal on the re-opening of the shop today.

Aw ra best, guys. :+1:

2 Likes

Funny you should mention an LP12. I seem to have ordered Keel, Urika, Radikal Klimax and Karousel all in one go for mine :grimacing: kerching!

3 Likes

Am auditioning a Rega P6 at Basically Sound, Norfolk next Tuesday. Am excited.

3 Likes

How much is a new LP12 ?

1 Like

I think that question is a bit like ā€œHow much is a new BMW or a new Jaguar?ā€ The answer is ā€œIt all depends, but if you have to ask, you may not be able to afford it.ā€

My daughter buying a newish second-hand Land Rover Freelander asked about the fuel consumption. The salesman said ā€œI donā€™t know off hand, but if you are worried about that, then donā€™t buy this car.ā€ She bought it anyway.

1 Like

Excellent - I used to occasionally visit Basically Sound when I lived in Norfolk - couldnā€™t afford anything though because I was a student!

Have a great visit and audition of the Rega - hope it goes well!

George.

1 Like

I raised this as my LP12 was reasonably high-spec years ago.

LP12/Cirkus/original Lingo/Linto (recenty serviced)/original Ekos and various cartridges from K9 through Arkiv and various OC-9s.

The black plinth I find boring these days and itā€™s a bit worn.

Quite tempted by the Karousel offer, but just wondering if I might be better off keeping my original and getting a new basic one with a few upgrades - could move the Ekos to a new one and stick an original Akito I have onto the old one.

Not sure if this makes sense but Iā€™d likely go for a Keel or Kore/Karousel and maybe Lingo 4 or Radikal (no idea which).

Iā€™d lose my old subchassis, Cirkus and Lingo which are still fine to my mind if I upgraded.

Might be nice to have a second LP12.

We have various ā€˜comboā€™ options at different price points - it would be nice to specify a plinth, choose a sub-chassis, and maybe re-use my Ekos - Iā€™m just not sure if this is possible without buying basic options on the base model and wasting components that you instantly replace.

Ah well you can afford it then! A friend of mine bought a second LP12, basically because he could and wanted to.

1 Like

If you speak to a good fettler of lp12s I am sure they would be able to do that for you, possibly even using some used other bits that are superior to what you already have

1 Like

I just hate wasting things I already have - maybe old dealers or standard practice but whenever I upgraded anything from Linn years ago I was not offered the old components in return and wonder what became of them (Akito excepted when I got the Ekos) - maybe dealership re-use of Valhalla, original bearing etc was factored into upgrade costs, I donā€™t know, these days I wonder.

Thatā€™s exactly what Iā€™m wondering - Iā€™d quite like to change the plinth, Karousel is a no-brainer from the sounds of it and would likely get nothing in return for old Lingo/Cirkus so tempted to keep my old LP12 for another areas and go a bit more up to date generally (Ekos excepted).

Suspect Iā€™m not alone in having lots of old redundant kit that ā€˜I might use one dayā€™.

I have several pairs of speakers that I really ought to get rid ofā€¦ on the subject of lp12s I just did a quick google and a basic lp12 without arm or cartridge seems to be about Ā£1800 and with arm and cartridge around Ā£3000. I think in your place I would be speaking to Peter Swain as he stocks used lp12 bits. I daresay other dealers may do that too but I donā€™t know if any. I am using Chris Brooks as he is more local for me (an hourā€™s drive rather than 3) but he doesnā€™t stock any used bits

1 Like

Thanks Tim - that was my inclination too - as much as the Karousel offer is tempting me not sure itā€™ll be feasible by the time the offer ends, but something to look into. Cheers.

1 Like

Another approach is the lp12 group on Facebook - a few people with decks and parts for sale on there from time to time - some dealers and enthusiastic / experienced amateurs On there

1 Like