Hi-Line vs Super Lumina interconnect

The problem as always is balance and what you like sound wise.
Adding something to an already bright system that increases high frequency is never going to suit.
I would say that most people still using something like SBL speakers wouldn’t like the SL, as they are more bright to start with, etc.
You get what I am trying to say I guess.

2 Likes

Both Hiline and Superlumina share common setup instructions not to touch the floor and hang freely for best performance. Some users -where is not possible to follow this rule- use other soft materials to prevent cables from touching the ground. How is this different or better? Cables still do not hang freely but is it the soft material that makes the difference?

1 Like

Over the years as ‘box’ upgrades were made. the change from Lavender to Hiline to SL i/c’s was very obviously better to my lugs…the SL in partic I found very good.
However, I now have Witch Hat Morgana cables throughout (excepting the KS-1 speaker cables - also previously SL)… I find the WH as good as SL and favourably priced/better value. (and also released some dosh for other minor upgrades…).
We are all a little different, so best to try out a few options…

5 Likes

The discussion so far seems to have been around Hi- Line to SL in absolute terms but not in the context of the OP’s system ie the price difference would fund an additional Hi Cap and would be half way to a Supercap. I don’t have any experience of SL or the other alternatives but surely black box alternatives should come into the mix. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

No we all have! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t have room available for black boxes (neither a single HiCap) but only for cables! :slight_smile:

But could you , for instance , get a Supercap to replace your one HiCap ? I guess all I was trying to say is that upgrading to a very expensive cable , in the context of your system , might not be the best way to improve the sound .

1 Like

I’ll say. There is a used CDX2 for sale locally for half the cost of a HiLine.

What about a used XPS DR to crank the CDX2?

I have a HiLine and I’ve never had a problem, there is no need to touch the rings (the casing offers plenty of grip space) and I can’t really see how they could be damaged if you don’t.

4 Likes

@GrahamS and @anon39880737 at the moment I really don’t have space for a Supercap or an XPS DR.
If I could, my next purchase would be the XPS DR.

I agree there is no need to touch the rings and I didn’t, but last Saturday I came home and the rings were splitted (one little piece of plastic that keeps the bigger ring attached to the connector was broken). It had already happen before that the rings splitted but I was able to fix them but not this time (I think before the little piece of plastic wasn’t completely broken). This problem with the Hi-Line is already reported in a few threads.

3 Likes

Always avoided touching the rings and they’ve split 2 times already on their own. Cheesed off a bit and am considering a change.
Spud

1 Like

Do you have your equipment on a rack ?

Hi Todaca
I haven’t tried the Hi Line but was lucky enough to be able to jump to Super Lumina between source and 282. Much better than standard and while expensive felt worthwhile and not ‘too much’ for my system. But, I also added SL between HC and 250DR. My experience was that both were greater than the two individually. Not a full loom but certainly work well together.

2 Likes

I’d certainly add the super lumina speaker cable, if you can.

Agree the 282/250 is in no way out of its depth with a Super lumina.

Yes, I do.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.