HiCap / SNAXO 242 Connection

That’s about it. Use socket 5 on the Supercap rather than socket 3, as this one is the closest to the Burndy socket which is taking the signal to the Snaxo.

Remember to put the paddle shaped link plug back in to Link 2 on the 282 as you’ll now only have one SNAIC5 connected when using the Hicap to power the 282.

2 Likes

DG I was going to post another pic, but the old connections guide doesn’t show everything and not exactly what you need.

I’ve been checking this because I was initially confused by the reference to two connections to supercap as you wrote

• Supercap Large Power and Inputs Socket (Burndy) to SNAXO PSU and inputs Socket (power and signal)

I follow the source through each of the boxes, going only in one direction. I’m being cautious.
I think you are correct - with the socket change @james_n suggets.
So maybe think of or write:-

282 to Hcap - the connnections look ok and as james points out, connect only one snaic

Hcap to Scap is again a single snaic connection

Scap to Snaxo is a single connection and the only burndy - with link plug removed

DG if you think configuring active is somewhat confusing, then I summarise a comment made earlier the year from a Naim member of staff no less, who suggested he cursed when setting an active setup in the listening room; hence part of my earlier comment. I’m a great believer in labelling each and every cable, also helps with getting the direction correct (well not perhaps the power).

3 Likes

Important, this is… And the cause of much frustration if it is forgotten - or worse… lost… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

IIRC the scap is more fully used via the burndy supplying the snaxo. 82/282 doesn’t use a burndy, when connected to a scap, so only part of the scap is used. Scap > snaxo then more of the supply rails are used. (With a 252 for example, a supercap does use a burndy connection.) @Richard.Dane will no doubt explain better than I.

Hi Richard, did you manage to read this?

DG…

1 Like

Yes, more of the Supercap supplies are used when connected to the SNAXo via the Burndy.

2 Likes

Is that why some systems use two HiCaps with a 282. How does that work?

There is certainly a school of thought to suggest this - I’ve not yet got around to trying it primarily as I don’t have the appropriate Burndy for th Snaxo 242 but I coul just try a SNAIC.

1 Like

The 82/282 can utilise secondary power from certain power amps such as a NAP140/180 (but not NAP250 or higher), 1xFC, 1xHC, 2xHC and 1xSC.

When powered by a Pwr Amp, the (2)82 receives one +24V DC secondary supply.
When powered by 1xHC, or 1xFC, the (2)82 receives two +24V DC secondary supplies.
When powered by 2xHC (or even, I suppose 2xFC), the (2)82 receives four +24V DC secondary supplies.
When powered by 1xSC, the (2)82 receives four +24V DC secondary supplies.

The generally held wisdom regarding Naim preamps is that more secondary supplies the better, and results in better SQ.

It is generally accepted (but not universally so) that 2xHC (over 1xHC) is a significant upgrade in SQ.
It is less clear clear between 2xHC & 1xSC…but again opinions do vary.

2 Likes

I always found the sound performance of one Supercap (fed with both 2 x24V supplies) on the NAC282 to definitely trump two Hicaps (giving 2x24V each). I could understand it as a smaller step up from a single Hicap, but ultimately I would instead look at a trade in of the single Hicap for a Supercap.

As to whether I would prefer a Hicap on the 282 and a Supercap on the SNAXO, as opposed to the Supercap on the 282 and a Hicap on the SNAXO, I’ve never done the direct comparison, so couldn’t say. However, if active then as the next logical step would probably be to a NAC252, having the Supercap on the 282 would make sense as it’s then just a head unit trade.

2 Likes

I resolved that particular conundrum by getting a second Supercap!

It also gave me two spare HiCaps (every home should have some), which are now powering a Headline and a Stageline.

What’s not to like :grin:

4 Likes

At the moment I will have 1 x SuperCap and 1 x HiCap to play with. Just where best to place them

Is it best to have the SC on the 282 and the HC on the Snaxo (changing from a FC).

Or the SC on the Snaxo and the HC on the 282, (obviously need to get a Snaxo Burndy for this).

What I want to do for now, is to get an improvement from the FC on the Snaxo. The HC is non DR and being serviced as ten years old. I am assuming that this would be an improvement, hopefully correctly.

Essentially, the main consideration is where to put the SC…

DG…

Because you haven’t got a Burndy your options are a tad limited.
Therefore if I was in that situation, then I would go for SC on the 82, HC on the XO…rationale being that at system level you are utilising more secondaries…then pour a glass of your favourite tipple and play some music :grinning:

Then start saving for that second SC and SNAXO Burndy. (Or spend the kids’ inheritance).

As ever, other opinions are available.

2 Likes

Yes, I think suzywong is probably right here; without a SNAXO Burndy for your Supercap, you’re probably best off putting it on the NAC282 for the moment and the Hicap on the SNAXO.

1 Like

In that case I’ll go with the SC to the 282 and HC to XO until I can pick up a second hand SNAXO Burndy cable from somewhere.

DG…

The HiCap is back from Class A Audio after being serviced and is now in situ, powering up the Snaxo.

Now to let it settle down and enjoy it.

DG…

2 Likes

How are you finding the Hicap powering the Snaxo ?

1 Like

@james_n

It’s only been running for about 24 hours now, sounds good, but can’t tell much difference at the moment.

As it’s got new components inside, I’m assuming as with all new kit, it will take a while to settle in. Not sure of the time required, but keeping the system playing 24/7 and hopefully that will do.

All my kit stays on anyway, but will let it burn in.

DG…

1 Like

Update;

Now that I’ve had the serviced Hi-Cap powering the SNAXO for a few days it is really sounding nice.

Next question is, do I swap the SuperCap and Hi-Cap over.

By this, I mean using;

• the SuperCap on the SNAXO, I know that I’ll need to get the appropriate Burndy cable for this.
  • the Hi-Cap on the NAC 282.

It has been previously mentioned that the SuperCap isn’t fully utilised on the 282.

So, is it worth the extra expense of a Burndy cable for the SNAXO and is the improvement in SQ noticeable from how it is set up at the moment?

Or just enjoy the improvement of the Hi-Cap over the previous FlatCap XS?

DG…

1 Like

I think that’s a question that only you will be able to adequately judge and answer, but it will mean getting hold of a SNAXO Burndy to try it out.

1 Like

@Richard.Dane

Thanks for this.

DG…