HiCap / SNAXO 242 Connection

Best have a chat with your Naim dealer.

1 Like

At the moment your 282 is powered by four secondary rails from the Supercap. If you put the SC on the SNAXO and the Hicap on the 282, then the preamp will only receive two secondaries.

It could then be argued that you are degrading the SQ in the preamp, which may not be recovered by the SNAXO. This is the “source first” approach, but as always in Hifi, this is IMnsHO, YMMV, other opinions are available, et cetera, et cetera. :smiley:

However this is an itch that must be scratched. :grin: Been there, done that! I rang the changes several years ago with my PSUs & (S)NAXOs. I did report my findings/opinions on these esteemed forums, but don’t know whether I could find them.

Anyway, I eventually settled upon a brace of Supercaps.

A lower cost alternative could be to acquire a SNAXO Burndy and a secondhand Hicap - you could probably get them both for just over a grand. If you go that route though, it may be beneficial if the (new) second HC was of a similar vintage to your original - so in this case, “non DR”.

You would then run the Supercap on the SNAXO and 2xHicap on the 282.

1 Like

Update;

An ex-demo SNAXO Burndy cable has been order from a dealer on a well known auction site.

Connections wise;

• I know that the Burndy cable goes from the SuperCap to the SNAXO
  • But with the Hi-Cap to the NAC 282, checking connections needed for that. Looking at the Naim site, it shows that Hi-Cap Socket 4 goes to the 282 Socket Upgrade or Link 1. And Hi-Cap Socket 3 goes to the NAP 250 Socket Input, but my system is active with two 250s, so where does Socket 3 now go to, or doesn’t?

DG…

1 Like

Hicap socket 3 will go to socket 5 on the Supercap via a SNAIC4 carrying L&R signals between the two power supplies. The Burndy is now taking power and signal to the Snaxo.

2 Likes

It will go from the Hicap powering the NAC to the Supercap powering the SNAXO, and then on to the NAP250s.

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes.

I’d quite like to think the Supercap DR on the SNAXO will be the better option.

Something I should have tried but haven’t is seeing if a single HICAP on 282 vs using the Supercap DR on the SNAXO 242 with a single SNAIC rather than a Burndy is better as the SCDR ought to be better than a HICAP even using a SNAIC.

1 Like

I feel that a group “bake off” is needed, held over a Sunday afternoon, with suitable libations provided :grinning:

2 Likes

@james_n

Thanks for this.

One other question, which way is the direction on the cable. I’m assuming from the Hi-Cap to the SuperCap as it’s not shown on the Connections document?

DG…

The marker on the SNAIC4 should be at the Hicap end.

1 Like

Update;

The SNAXO Burndy cable has arrived and been installed on the SNAXO, now being powered by the SuperCap DR.

The Hi-Cap now goes to the 282 and all connections made OK, after searching in the loft for the requisite Link Plug.

Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance.

Sitting down now listening to some of my favourite Jazz numbers through Qobuz and I must admit that there is an improvement.

The music sounds a bit more relaxed, brighter and detailed.

Bit of a change for the system, with regard power supplies, over the last few weeks. The SNAXO has gone from being powered by a FlatCap XS to Hi-Cap and now to a SuperCap DR.

DG…

4 Likes

A full review will be expected/required in due course :grinning:

2 Likes

Thinking ahead for the future and perhaps getting a second Hi-Cap for the NAC 282.

Looking out for another Hi-Cap (non DR) and Power-Line on the well known auction site, knowing that I will probably need to get the Hi-Cap serviced.

Connection wise, I know that the Hi-Cap Socket 4 goes to the 282 Upgrade 2 Socket. But does the Hi-Cap Socket 3 go to the SuperCap Socket 4 as it is an active SNAXO system?

DG…

Only the Hicap connected to upgrade 1 on the 282 has a SNAIC5 carrying both signal and power and this Hicap is also the one connected to the Supercap - as you have it now.

The second Hicap will just be connected to upgrade 2 only as this is used to supply another two power rails to the 282. No signal goes through this SNAIC5.

1 Like

@james_n

Thanks again.

That saves me having to buy a SNAIC 4 cable.

DG…

You can save yourself a lot of time, money and effort and jump straight to the 552 preamp rather than optimising the current one and via all sorts of intermediate steps ultimately end up on 552 level.

1 Like

That would be nice, but too much dollar.

Think I will be happy with the standard NAC 282 / Hi-Capx2 / NAP 250 combo.

DG…

Yeah, that’ll work…

…in fact, it’ll work very nicely! :grinning:

1 Like

I believe that this is the 282 system that the Naim Engineers had designed. They all seem to match each other, spec and level wise. So, a nice balanced system.

I think that Naim have good balanced systems at all levels, which gives good choices for all at a choice of price points;

• 252 / SuperCap / 300
  • 552 / 552 PS / 500
  • Statement…

DG…

Update;

The second Hi-Cap has arrived and been installed in the system.

Picked it up from a well known auction site for a very good price. It was serviced by Class A Audio in November 2021, so it was a very good deal. It had the original box and packaging, instructions, mains cable and two SNAIC 5s. One is a Naim original and one is of an unknown make, so will not be using that one.

Letting it settle down after it’s travels, but it won’t need much time, being pre-owned.

Now bidding on a Naim PowerLine on the same well known auction site as I need an additional one, so the power cables are all PowerLines, apart from the PowerLine Lites to the two NAPSCs and a Mark Grant cable to the Klimax.

I know that we can can never say never. However, the system will be to the level I have been planning for, once the additional PowerLine is in place. So, will now just kick back and we can enjoy the music.

Will give some feedback in the next few days once we’ve done some detailed listening with our favourite Nespresso coffee.

At the moment, the only planned upgrade in the next year or so will be to upgrade the Linn Klimax DS3 to Organik.

DG…

4 Likes

That’s a good plan. Enjoy your new purchases.

1 Like