Hip Hop and Modern R&B thread

Whoa, awesome record alert.

A school pal of mine had that Heavies album, and by the time I bought it, I already knew the lyrics of my faves - seems I still do! I’d forgotten how good the bass and drums sound though.

I was gonna post my (pre-recorded) tape copy for a laugh, but not sure where it is. I’ve a feeling I wore it out as…

(I vaguely remember a ‘Recent Classic Albums’ thread here, and I posted The xx’s debut and Channel Orange, which only showed up a few days before!)

1 Like

As it’s Hot In Herre, a slow jam from one of my favourites of recent years:

1 Like

I’ve posted these a couple of times before, but as we now have a thread that celebrates great R&B singers seems like the right place to put these.

Nao - For All We Know
Nao - Saturn

Cheers

1 Like

Not a huge fan of Rap but a good tune is a good tune and this is a 30 degree heat record.

1 Like

And in my view the greatest rap record of all time and sonically one of the best records I own period.

3 Likes

Cooling down with an ice cold bottle of San Miguel and some sweet soul music.

2 Likes

Thanks ChiefChirpa great post regarding Chronic samples lots on their I didn’t know and especially loving Lou Donaldson - Pot Belly.

1 Like

One of the greatest producers of all time.
R.I.P James Dewitt Yancey aka J Dilla.

2 Likes

Went to see this at cinema at 13 years old with one of my now passed best friends Little Rich so this movie and the soundtrack always make smile to remember him.

What an album. RnB, Hip Hop, Grime, etc

Listen to: Did You See, Bouff Daddy, Plottin,

Cheers

1 Like

Some great stuff here to investigate. Great thread!

Atb
Kk

1 Like

Beautiful new soul music

2 Likes

Is the sound ok on this? The one album I have makes my ears burn and I love the music but have to turn it off!!

Atb
Kk

The Tidal stream I play is very good quality can’t speak for the vinyl as I’ve only just purchased it this evening but as soon as I give it a spin I’ll report back. I’ve heard their first release and the quality isn’t great but this new LP is a huge step up even the Youtube streams are good.

1 Like

The sheer musicality of this album cannot be over-stated - like a double measure of Kendrick’s To Pimp a Butterfly.

Hard to pick a favourite, but this probably pips the title track for me. The horns, the Storytellin’…

…sweeter than a plate of yams with extra syrup.

Ok, maybe not quite a double…

Just checking, are we including Soul ? Very happy to as I can think of a load of posts

Cheers

Take Not3s - Not3s

Listen to “100 Degrees”

Cheers

Not a bad sophomore album.

Cheers

Been posted before… Goodness what a cool vibe. Very retro.

Cheers

2 Likes