His Dark Materials

Just watched the 1st episode on iPlayer - thought it was fantastic.

A dearly departed friend eulogised about the books some years ago - I have the older movie ‘The Golden Compsss’ on HD-DVD (!) and to be honest loved it, but can perhaps understand why it didn’t tick the boxes at the cinema.

Slightly intrigued that this is a BBC/HBO production made in Wales.

Looks as though the Bad Wold company are involved:

https://bad-wolf.com

I believe it was a startup from production staff involved in the Russell T Davies 2005 Dr Who reboot largely made in Wales. Just watched an episode from the 1st series of that on iPlayer and those stories were truly ahead of their time, even if I personally felt some were a bit too ‘modern’ or PC at the time - the Bad Wolf episode is quite chilling and incredible to believe the banal reality TV Shows have been going for so long!

2 Likes

Recorded it. Haven’t watched yet.
Hated the film…I only hope the BBC series can approach the books…

I love the books. I’m not sure about screen adaptations.

1 Like

I’ve not read the books yet but bought them for my daughter last year, suspect the Hollywood take on the story wasn’t a faithful adaptation - will be interesting to see if people feel this is a better adaptation.

1 Like

I was the same with Lord Of The Rings - I lived, breathed and ate that book when I was a teenager: never got on with the films, haven’t managed to sit through even one.

I couldn’t get through Golden Compass either.
The books are so immersive, I found it difficult
to see the characters and events onscreen.
Think its just me!

I’m hoping that I’m better with the series :slight_smile:

Do read HDM. It’s wonderful! Hope your daughter loves it.

2 Likes

We enjoyed it although it strikes me as quite hard to fully capture the strangeness of the parallel world in such a short time and although the production was excellent, I’m glad I read the books first, albeit that that was a long time ago. Anyway we will watch the next one. Not sure if it will fully draw us in.
Best

David

1 Like

The books are magnificent and, IMO, this adaptation is better than the movie.

1 Like

I have never read the book, but did watch The Golden Compass a little while ago, which I thought was rather full of lazy tropes. This first episode looks better.

1 Like

We enjoyed the first episode. One has to realise that the magic of reading will never be captured or even that the books will be accurately followed.

That said I enjoyed the film a lot, and hopefully the tv also in a different way.

Phil

1 Like

Copying across my entry from the Bingeworthy Series thread:

His Dark Materials

I know, HOW can this be binge worthy when there has only been one episode?

This is superbly adapted and has Phillip Pullman on board as an Executive Producer.

I enjoyed ‘The Golden Compass’, but being a film they skated over the material robbing it of dramatic weight; here there is a chance for it to breath.

They have cast the girl from Logan in the lead and she is excellent, very ably supported by the rest of the cast.

Can’t wait for next Sunday!

M

3 Likes

Enjoyed the first and will watch the rest, at least being episodic it has more time to tell the complex story and develop characters better. This sort of story needs longform not film to do it justice. TV at the moment is where the real drama is, film is too much event driven, and cashing in on old franchises. I am sorry that I am part of that machine as it’s destroying the art of film story telling, but it pays the bills. At least we get to help create some great telly to.

2 Likes

My wife loves the books and, so far, the adaptation. I found it a bit clunky in places but it has a hard job explaining the world and also advancing a plot that is far from simple. Seemed a bit hasty and frenetic to me at times.

I hope it does not shy away from the bigger (and more controversial) themes that scuppered the plans for a movie trilogy with US studios.

The cast and production values will keep me interested for now, and that is an achievement since I watch TV very rarely!

Bruce

3 Likes

Excuse me if this is another of those “fans only” threads, I haven’t read the books but I’m always up for new TV stuff and I sort-of knew about the story from seeing the occasional reviews/comments in the media and I was aware of how fantastic it’s supposed to be so I gave it a look.

I tried to like it, I really did. I stretched the attempt into 40 minutes (which is a lot for me if I’m not immediately engaged), but… no.

Disjointed drivel. Like a fantasy version of Enid Blyton but without any plot coherence.

I’ll pass. :unamused:

2 Likes

It helps if you have read the first book because this establishes stuff it’s easy to miss in the TV version.

It’s a quick read. Although it’s quite long, it’s intended for children primarily so isn’t over-taxing. You just have to suspend belief. The writing is way ahead of Enid Blyton incidentally.

And as is often the case with good writers, the story works on different levels, so there is plenty for an adult to get stuck into too.

Anyway, just saying…

Best

David

3 Likes

I’ve not read the books, but saw the Daniel Craig/Nicole Kidman movie and rather enjoyed it, but as there were no sequels I was left wanting more as the story was only beginning.

I watched on iPlayer with constant interruptions and intend to watch again to get a better feel for it, many things like this seem to have rather slow episodes to begin with to ‘set the scene’ and I’d not be suprised as suggested by those who’ve read the books that detail/nuances may be missing away from the printed page.

Must attempt the books one day, but I can rarely stay awake for a minute or two whenever I try to read these days!

1 Like

Bring on the battle of the pr bs. I re-read the first book recently, having been inspired by the trailer.

1 Like

Arggh, do I sense a spoiler ! :scream_cat:

You may say that, I couldn’t possibly comment

1 Like

Fair enough …
I liked the roof top escapades as it gave you an idea of what Lyra’s character is like. But it did seem disjointed.

1 Like

First 2 books I couldn’t put down. The 3rd faded a bit, I thought. But watched a little of the first episode. Seemed pretty well done. I’ll watch it once it makes it to on-demand.

3 Likes

I think it was to paint a wider picture, so those unfamiliar with the books had an idea :bulb: of the background.

1 Like