HMS Resolution

Starting a new work in progress.That’s a beautiful English cutter from XVII century 1:50
HMS-Resolution-Corel-Model-Ship-Kit-min.jpg

13 Likes

A great friend of mine has been building these for 30+ years and they are just exquisite, but so much work has gone into the canon carriages, pulley blocks, hull planking etc. He also built glass cases for some of them to keep away dust and prying fingers.

1 Like

Good luck with it. Just remember to keep going when it gets hard. :blush:. I’ve made two wooden ships, HMS Victory (took me 17yrs) and Cutty Sark (9yrs). Next up will be HMS Diana 1/64 scale but I’m having a rest from wooden sailing ships till next winter. Here’s my last creation:

26 Likes

That model looks absolutely fabulous - you are clearly very skilled at it - I’d love to see the other model too

1 Like

Wow.

The Victory!It is enormous,compliments.I made HMS Bounty as first model,then Trotamares and the only Italian ship paranza,a fishing boat,but I’m looking forward for a way more serious Italian ship,the Amerigo Vespucci if SHE permits…Will post some pics of my models.Ciao!

1 Like

SHE stands for SWMBO…

Unbelievable 17 years……i have the attention span of a gnat……well done.

2 Likes

When I lived in Limehouse in East London, I went onto Cutty Sark in her dry dock in Greenwich before the disastrous fire that so nearly destroyed her. I think that the renovation work has been completed, but I’ve moved away from London.

Amazing state-of-the-art technology for her time.

And you can visit the Maritime Museum to see John Harrison’s quite extraordinary, lovingly restored original marine chronometers (designated, H1, H2, H3 and H4), and stand astride the (brass) Meridian Line marker, with one half of your body in each hemisphere!

4 Likes

Visited Cutty Sark last year and the restoration is superb. Standing underneath the keel is something to experience. Did the maritime museum as well, I could spend all day in there. Unfortunately the observatory was closed at the time.

1 Like

Anyone who wants to get a better understanding of how and why Harrison’s chronometers were built should find a copy of Dave Sobell’s magnificent book ‘Longitude’.

1 Like

15 Likes

Dava Sobel I think.

Trotamares
Paranza
HMS Bounty

Sorry, I didn’t notice that my AppleMac had autocorrected my message!

1 Like

Here’s Victory. I had to cut out over 100 gun ports. More modern kits save us this pain but I still bare the scars :blush:

19 Likes

Superb Modelling :+1:

Magnificent

Lovely.

May I know how long it is including the bowsprit mast?