Home Audio Fidelity (HAF) DSP filters

Thank you for suggesting I try Roon, I started the trial on Friday and am really liking it, still finding my way round it but reckon I’ll be keeping it going already!
Especially since I did a quick experiment with generating convolution filters with REW today (already had the mic). Even though it was my first attempt the results have been great, made a huge difference, I can turn the volume up much further without things breaking up and it feels much clearer.

I will send a file to Thierry next weekend!

The other thing I like about Roon is that I can do this:

This is a quick test with my laptop but it means that I could repurpose an old machine and control Roon on my TV with a Bluetooth mouse. Something I’ve wished for since getting my kit :smiley:

Cheers,
Mark

3 Likes

@Mark63 : If you have an appleTV, you can try an App called tv:remote

1 Like

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying the new version of Roon. I do something similar for Roon and it’s Karaoke feature on my Television, it’s pretty damn fun when I’m just a little tipsy on a Friday night. I went through REW and thought I did a decent job until I used HAF then I realized I’m an amateur compared to what Thierry can do. He’s got some secret sauce that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks, I don’t have an Apple TV, but what does the app do? A search on the App Store didn’t find anything by that name. Thanks.

Yes he must have! I’m still trying to think of a track to send him :thinking:

I didn’t know Roon had a karaoke mode … that would be extremely painful with my attempts at singing :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s called Karaoke mode but it’s really fun to have song lyrics scroll on my TV. With enough beer I’m compelled to dance and sing along.

Well Chris,

Any updates?

.sjb

Well I must admit I got a bit sidetracked by the 1.8 release last week, and also, during this latest lockdown, am finding it very difficult to get some solo listening time in when I can crank up the volume and compare…I’m not complaining, it’s lovely, but not conducive to getting back to Thierry!

Anyway, back on topic.
The easier filter to describe is the Crosstalk one. It felt to me on a good number of tracks as if the right hand channel went wide, but moved towards me, whereas the left hand channel went wide but stayed back. It felt very right hand biased, so I’ve asked for an adjustment to try and balance it.

The straight filter I found much more difficult to evaluate.
Overall I prefer it applied than not though I find it difficult to explain why! The treble is tamed and bass/mids slightly more prominent, but it is a very mild change. Not that I need it to sound different as such, I think I just need to hear it pushed a bit further to hear when it’s gone too far. So I have asked for two adjustments, keeping the treble tamed but accentuating bass and mids at 2 different levels.

Thierry is ‘en vacances’ this week, so maybe I’ll receive an update next week. Thoroughly enjoyed the process so far, just got some tweaking to get right now.
Hope you are still enjoying your filters and sounds.

3 Likes

Thanks, that does look good, however I’m after the full control app on the tv so I don’t have to put my reading glasses on and stare at the iPad while exploring for music :slightly_smiling_face:

I dug out an old Magic Mouse that has a trackpad built in which is perfect, great experience and makes use of the otherwise black box between the speakers!
Cheers

Hi Mark,
What @Wolfgang linked you to is exactly what you are looking for.
It is an app that enables people to use the Apple TV remote control rather than the iPad/iPhone.
Of course you need an Apple TV box connected up to your TV for it to work, but you can search, select, play, queue, scrub through a track all on the TV using your Apple TV remote.
It is not an official Roon app, but developed by someone using all the APIs that Roon makes available, and authorised by Roon.

I too get absolutely fed up of using my phone and iPad after being at work all day on a laptop. This App enables me to have a break from them, I find especially useful when playing Roon radio when I might not know the tracks.
Hope this explains and sorry to detract from the original thread!

1 Like

Rather than wade through the 300+ posts on that thread on the Apple TV, is it just a case of downloading an app from the App Store onto my phone

What’s the app called?

Thanks

.sjb

After a frustrating few days I’ve returned the mic (UMM-6). I tried changing cables to no avail. The light was on but no signal came thru’ … this was best demonstrated on Audacity but also on Apple Garage.
I now have to decide whether to try another UMM-6 (out of stock) or try another type of mic.

I used the UMIK 1.

They seem to be available currently. There is a version 2 out but I believe it’s not as good for the purpose of these measurements.

.sjb

2 Likes

The app is called tv:remote, but it is apptv only, so you can’t install it on your iphone/ipad

1 Like

Ah, I don’t think my antiquated erosion of Apple TV has this option.

.sjb

Good to know - I was look at that last night.
I could not find it on the usual market place, but tracked down a couple of smaller dealers. A job for later today.

Hello Chris, thanks, I didn’t realise that, should’ve read through more of the thread!
Cheers,
Mark

@Camphuw @ChrisH I’m wondering how you guys got on with this?

From other fora I realise it doesn’t work for everyone but an early morning session listening to Booker T is just re-emphasising for me how transformative this upgrade has been.

.sjb

HI @Sloop_John_B , thanks for the follow up, I had really meant to post back.
I messaged Thierry last week to say that I am now at the stage where I dont require any more tweaks.
He very kindly supported me with a couple of extra iterations which helped me get to this point.

In conclusion, I would say that in my system and with my ears, the changes were very subtle with the normal HAF filter.
I definitely prefer the sound with compared to without however if anyone were to press me to explain why, I would have no idea how to do so!
Is this expectation bias? Im not sure, it just sounds a more rounded sound somehow.

However the HAF filter + Crosstalk is very noticeable and is my preference, generally I leave this on all the time now. And this was despite me thinking to start with that it was just ‘too much’!
I find punk/metal music really benefits and I feel almost surrounded by the guitars, a very immersive sound I have to say.
Jazz and well recorded pieces are even more enhanced with this filter.
Occasionally I found it to affect the timing of a track (adversely) but only on a couple of occasions.

I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of doing this and I would say I definitely gained from it.
I think the benefits can vary substantially depending on system / room / ears / expectation.
The customer service provided by Thierry was also great, I have to say.

Look forward to hearing others’ experiences!

2 Likes