Madness? Trade in TT2 for NDX2

I’m with @david1111 here.
Server/ streamers (like Innuos and my own Audiostore), stand alone streamers, standalone DACs and streaming preamps seem to be the direction of travel. If Naim “die-hards” like those posting on this forum are moving away from the brand to avail themselves of someone else’s front end kit then surely their amps will soon follow.
Apologies to the OP for thread drift!

3 Likes

Some have already taken another path. From Naim , to Naim with Chord dac and finally all Chord.
2 members have now a chord etude amp, which matches better for them with chord volume control.

3 Likes

In respect of people on this forum I get the impression that more often it is the other way round: they discover that there are DACs that present the music in a way that is better to their ears/expectations, and then the redundancy of having a full-blown streamer with inbuilt DAC but using only the front end drives them to find alternatives. If Naim want to address this, then Offering a range with separate streaming renderer and DAC might help, while considering what it is about other DACs that draws people to them away from Naim. I suspect, but don’t know, that hanging on to an old DAC chip and simply(?!) trying to wring the most out of it, rather than alternative approaches, has ultimately limited them.

And In response to your observation about one purchase leading to more from the same manufacturer, that may hold true if the first experience with the first item is particularly positive (seemingly common with DACs), however of course there are many people who do not see automatic benefit in being wedded to a single manufacturer, for whom mixing and matching on the basis of best, or best value, is natural.

7 Likes

There are still a lot of people who prefer the Naim presentation. Hopefully all tastes are possible.
I would be very happy if Naim could produce a streamer without dac. I would not have to sell my Nds for so ridiculous money and buy an Nd555.

5 Likes

As this is a Naim forum I would hope there are still a lot of people who prefer the Naim presentation. Lots of valid opinions and options on this thread, a Naim streaming platform without a dac would be attractive but as others have pointed out without new dac development by Naim this may prove unwise.
I have always thought the Naim Core was a missed opportunity, why not a server, streamer with Roon core capability to compete with the likes of Innuos ?

7 Likes

The OP could try Roon and use his TV as a screen, MUCH bigger than the NDX2.

Check this post out:

1 Like

I tend to lean towards a single manufacturer supply for my gear, and there are a few others that do the same, but you are correct that many do not feel tied to a brand (and shouldn’t), and probably end up with a better all-around SQ in their system because of it.

And it most likely is a good time for Naim to reassess the chips they use, and possibly some other design features of their Dacs, if other manufacturers are achieving better results for a lower cost.
It’s always money dependent of course, otherwise I’d have a $50k (CAD cost) Rossini with Clock.

I personally don’t require any better presentation than my NDS provides, even tho I do realize that this is a bit of a ‘head in the sand’ attitude. I wouldn’t promote this tack to others.

2 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

I did listen to the 2Go/Hugo2 a year ago via headphones acting as a roon endpoint with a Macbook acting as the roon core - this was on Chord’s stand at the Bristol show - as it was on my list as a potential choice for a streaming source. It’s launch has been imperfect, but yes it should be usable to store and play up to 4Tb of music files once 2Tb cards become available.

I have only seen one real comparison of the 2Go, and that was a brief statement to suggest it is on the same level as an Allo DigOne. All other reviews I have seen have been of the 2Go/H2 solo. The rollout of the 2Yu docking point (for connecting the 2Go to other DACs) has been on hold, maybe there will be a release soon.

The 2Go can also be a roon endpoint, although the roon core/server cannot read the files stored on the 2go’s microSD cards.

Ta WeekendWarrior that would be a big screen.

I have sort have gone the other way, I have an NDX 2 with XPS DR but wanted a headphone out capability so added a Chord M Scaler and Hugo TT2 to my system, this to avoid being moaned at by the family for playing my music via the loudspeakers, I could only really do that when I was in the house alone. My system comprises of an Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 with LPSU, used as a Roon Core device which I feed into the Hugo TT2 via USB, this can feed the Naim NAC 252 as well as the NDX 2. Both systems sounded great but as with this hobby I wanted more (I need to stop this urge) so started to look at the Innuos Zenith as a replacement my Zen Mini, trouble is I have gone too far and decided to go with an Innuos Statement (Doh!!) and trade in the NDX 2 / XPS DR. I felt that I did not need to have 2 streamers in my system, I didn’t want to upgrade to the ND555, so with a degree of regret decided to loose some of my Naim kit, I just hope this was the right decision.

3 Likes

OP here.
Started an interesting discussion, seems a lot of love for the Chord TT2 over a bare NDX2. But equally a lot of switching back and forth. Investing in the dac seems to bring more benefit over the streaming element. I really like the TT2 and would be reluctant to part with it, so going to keep it and look to improve the streamer.
I need WiFi, Airplay(2) and would really like Chromecast and a screen. Plus got to look good as will be on display (a criticism of the Node 2i - wife thinks it looks cheap alongside the rest). Current candidates are ND5xs2 (but lacks screen), Auralic Aries G1 (no Chromecast), Arcam ST60 (not sure about OS, build or sound) or perhaps Primare SC15 (seems well specced, looks nice and well priced). Any THOUGHTS/EXPERIENCE on these as STREAMERS TO EXTERNAL DAC?

Hi Blondy,

As I am sure you would expect there is no straightforward answer. Not everyone prefers the TT2 to the Qutest, and the Qutest gets a nice lift if powered by an SBooster + Ultra II; which is what I use.

I think the nDAC is an excellent piece of kit and used one when they first came out for a number of years.

Ultimately you will need to do the legwork and listen to them in your system.

M

1 Like

A complementary view to @Simon-in-Suffolk regarding the NDX-internal DAC vs Chord DAC - albeit on a lower level system than Simon’s. I have had the XPS-DR here for 24 hours, it is an ex-demo and appears to be working well by now with my NDX2 / 282 / SuperCap2/ 250DR .

Taking Simon’s ‘house-party’ analogy - I have been playing the RP Rock Mix today - two classic rock tracks which I know well from my younger years - ‘Black Sabbath - Paranoid’ and ‘ZZ-Top - Sharp Dressed Man’ - these both are high-energy tracks which have a simple driving riff, in other words intrinisic ‘PRaT’ - the NDX2 really does deliver the goods with these and other rock tracks.

For more complex music be it progressive rock, jazz rock and symphonic musc then I prefer the more natural Chord Hugo 2 - and for simple female vocals/acoustic guitar e.g. Eva Cassidy, either presentation sounds good to me.

Again my ears, my room, system synergy etc.

4 Likes

@Maccaboy10

You should also include there dCS bridge (though without screen).

Given the features u r looking for the streamer, probably NDX2 is best option compared to its competitions. IMHO it is also best value for money between the Naim ones - ND5XS, NDX2 and ND555.

I also wanted all these features and hence went for NDX2 after comparing and auditioning a few. But NDX2 is costlier by around 2 to 3 grand (in USD) from competitions. My plan is to later adding a better dac to its spdif - MSB or PS Audio TSS (not yet out) or may be Mola Mola Tambaqui.

Regards,
Sourav

1 Like

Sourav, thanks for the guidance yes my dealer has mentioned the dcs bridge but pretty expensive. I think I’m leaning towards trying the Primare at less than a third of the price but offers a comprehensive feature set and great build.

Primare Prisma Pre35 ?

Primare SC15

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ve made a decision - I’m coming back to the Naim fold with an NDX2, it’s really the only streamer that ticks all my boxes. I’m going to sell the tt2 and the Bluesound to fund it.

12 Likes

Let us know how you get on. The NDX2 is certainly a fine streamer… and can feed DACs wonderfully with its digital signal out, or use its inbuilt DAC for an analogue signal out, as appropriate. It gives you that flexibility… and with the latest firmware is sounding even better than before (in my opinion) on both it digital and analogue signal outputs.

3 Likes