Home made high end Ethernet cables

Yes spot on, this is like the cable conduit I use… designed for the job.,

I use regular cables in mine… the biggest enemy tends to be UV, and not much of that underground !

For mains I use a different method and dedicated armoured mains cable.

If anyone is interested for RF cables, I use hardline for direct burial… they are big cables with solid shields… ultra stiff and heavy… but almost indestructible and exceedingly low loss…

That’s the stuff, I would just add that it’s important to terminate it carefully with properly installed glands and make sure it’s protected where it comes out of the ground. Twice I have seen it badly damaged, and both times it had completely filled with water. Once was in a friends garden where their dog thought it was a toy and chewed the end.

To be honest I don’t mind if it fills with water… it should be below the frost line. Some of mine has been in the ground for over 15 years and fairly sure in that time water has ingressed into the conduit. Obviously the cables in the conduit have their own jackets to protect them. Not had any issues.

@Simon-in-Suffolk May I check something with you if you don’t mind?

I have cat6a blue jean’s Belden bonded UTP under the floor boards. 10m between front of the house and office. Virgin media to Orbi router, to wall socket. In the office, wall socket to EE switch to 272/lumin.

In this context I was going to terminate the wall jacks as T568B. No idea what the various Blue Jeans, CatSnake or Chord patch cables are.

T568B okay?

Thank you Simon

T568B will work fine. I used it for all my fixed wiring.

1 Like

Yes B is fine and is now preferred… they main thing is to ensure pass through, and not to mix and match A and B on a segment run.

Thank you. Will do them all the same.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.