Home wifi in 2019?

tI’s set to “create a wireless network” and yes SSID and password are identical, I chose this as it was recommended to do this online as apparently you cannot “extend” a non Apple network with an AE.

I do the same with a Sky router, and after a short period where handover between the two WAPs was a little slow, it then worked fine, as did the Naim app. I did do a fill restart of my whole network after setting this up, which may gave helped.

Thanks Chris, I’ll let it all settle and monitor it over the next few days as I’ve only just reinstalled having disconnected the AE last week thinking the Sonos/Naim problem needed researching.

Thanks for your help.

Best

Chris

There is far more to networks than basic common subnet and switchable connectivity.
In your example there is a protocol called SSDP that is used to discover specific types of applications on hosts, in this case, UPnP devices. This works typically by broadcasts going off every so often, then participating devices responding. When the device responds correctly it goes into a network (multicast) group. Once in a group then communication to all the elements in the group can be maintained in a concurrent manner, that is data can be broadcast but only to elements in that specific group.
So how is this group management and device enabling done… well in part this is what the IGMP snooping feature does. This is important for Wifi as you could otherwise fill your Wifi bandwidth with unwanted information impacting performance for all devices on your WLAN.

So with your APs, you will need to wait for the broadcast beacon or app to re register, when you change your clients position in a network. This is what may happen if roaming between access points… so you may see a delay before devices reappear… I think this is what you see which would be correct

So hopefully you see an example of showing there is much going on underneath the covers to allow your favourite apps to work on your home network.

Simon

Thanks for taking the time to explain this Simon. The total coverage in the kitchen area, which is where we spend a good deal of time, more than makes up for the delay discovering the equipment again. So would the situation be the same with the BT “Discs” arrangement?

Chris

So would the situation be the same with

I don’t know without trying… and measuring. If roaming and the layer 2 network path changes, I suspect it will be the same. But if the layer 2 path is some how ‘virtualised’ then the roaming could be transparent as far as multicast groups.

Thank you Simon.

The small inconvenience of non recognition moving from router to AE areas is not proving to be a problem, and utilising the AE has saved me some cash, so a result and the AE is one very neat piece of equipment, much neater that the BT “Discs” one of which would have to be plugged into my BT home Hub, using up valuable dest space!

Best

Chris

Chris

I used to run an Apple system with an Extreme in bridge mode and 2 Airport Expresses. However given the positive reviews on BT Complete Wi Fi I thought I would give it a go and have to say that the uplift in performance throughout the house has been considerable using the BT Mesh system. They have even agreed to give me a second disc so that I can ethernet wire the Nova in my second system to it as I did with one of the Airport Expresses (don’t ask why but I just find it gives better performance particularly on 24/192 streaming). My download speed is around 70MB and I now find I am getting around 65MB throughout the house on Wii Fi compared to a 20-45MB range previously

I don’t know where you have seen that you need to hard wire the disc to the Hub. You only do this to pair the device then once done the disc can be placed anywhere in the house and just plugged in. The BT app has a very good location checker to follow and I found set up simple. On my experience to date I can highly recommend the whole set up.

Camlan

Thanks so much for the info, I must have misunderstood the mesh system, I did think it strange that one had to be hard wired to the Home Hub!

I would have to buy a minimum of 2 discs as that’s how they are sold or switch to renting them on a whole home WiFi deal and as the AE fills in the bare WiFi area in the kitchen very well at no additional cost to me I’ll leave it for a while and see just what happens.

As a matter of interest does your ipad/iPhone Naim App move seamlessly from the area covered by your HH to the mesh area or does it need to rediscover the WiFi connection taking some time to do so?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Chris

This may be a daft question but I have Sky Q silver with 2 x mini boxes. The mini boxes are supposed to extend WiFi range - is this WiFi mesh?

Chris

Moves seamlessly. Once you are on the network then it’s job done. I must say that in my Apple days I never had the problem you describe but I didn’t have a ‘down’ area. The only issue I had was the tendency for the app/device to default to the Guest network so I switched that off.

No I don’t think it is but Simon would be able to explain the difference between mesh and range extenders much better than me.

Anyway don’t get me started on Sky Q which I find beyond frustrating. Sky need to learn that beta testing on their customer base is not really an acceptable business model. It’s better since they switched on power line but only marginally so. I’m no tech expert but at least I understand how it works and how to fix it, God help those who are ‘technically ignorant’.

1 Like

Camlan

That’s good to know, I never had a problem when using all Apple, Time Capsule(with Draytek modem) and an AE, It only started when combining AE with the BT Home Hub but it’s acceptable at least I now know that I can change to the BT system should I get frustrated!

Chris

True Hybrid Wireless Mesh Protocol (HWMP, 802.11s) Mesh systems use many access nodes and route the the data across the nodes… these are only really used in commercial setups over large areas and require extensive setup.

On the other hand consumer proprietary and consumer EasyMesh type systems, such as the BT, are not true (802.11s) mesh systems, however they are significantly simplified, and optimised for home networks, and are limited to the number of access points (and don’t use nodes) , seemingly around three, and collaboratively work with each other. However unlike true mesh systems, EasyMesh type systems are a doddle to setup, ie they are plug and play and are suited to smaller domestic areas like houses and gardens.

Wifi extenders are an old technique where a remote access point has its data sent in band across the WLAN, this is inefficient and can lead to poor performance on the extender, or combined wlan, depending on configurations and setup.

However one should remember with mesh systems that although hugely more efficient than extenders, still suffer a throughput hit across wireless hops. With EasyMesh systems because you have only a small number of access points this is unlikely to cause a noticeable issue. True Mesh systems require careful planning here.

Another consideration that is sometimes mis understood is Wifi roaming between access points/nodes. For this to happen quickly, a protocol called Fast BSS Transition or 802.11r needs to be supported by the client AND Wifi system. This allows the initial authentication association to be preserved as the client connects to the new access point or node.
However for this to work, the client along with the Wifi system has to support 892.11r correctly and in which case roaming will be seamless… if not there will be a lengthier interruption when roaming. Some devices have no or deficient support for 802.11r. Wifi logs, if available, will indicate roaming or re authentication. Some older client devices might need firmware, software upgrades or might not be able to support at all.

Also another consideration is IGMP, depending on how IGMP is internally setup and implemented in your EasyMesh product, you may have a discovery delay when you roam.

For those who are interested, a précis from a usability perspective on EasyMesh. Essentially if going into consumer mesh systems don’t rely on being able to mix and match access points anytime soon.

1 Like

Really helpful, thanks S!

I was browsing Apple’s site. iPhones 4S and later support 802.11r, lest someone be concerned.

Thanks for doing my homework for me, Simon :blush: Some day I will eventually get round to replacing my ageing Apple AirPort stuff.

Ive been procrastinating as well. Trying to decide whether to wait for Wifi 6, which is just now trickling out.

Well both, I use Ubiquiti Unifi system with two participating wired AP AC lite access points that load balance and band steer between them.

It works flawlessly, and can support multiple high intensity (like Hidef video and screen sharing) as well as Wifi streaming, printing etc flawlessly. The APs can be PoE enabled, which is what I do… cuts down on the clutter, and means the APs have only a single wire going to them… the Cat5e. They look like a smoke detector and are unobtrusive.

I am about to set a third AP for the patio and garden … that will be a Wireless backhaul that is also supported.
Thoroughly recommend them… but there are many other good options out there now as well.

I can’t do wired access points – well probably could do ONE if I want to add a switch and but an AP right near my Fraim/ND555 system. Otherwise I’m limited to wiring the base to my switch, and then two wifi-only AP’s in the rest of the home. What do you think about Unifi in that situation? And again, I’m not sure I want one so close to my hi fi…blasting it within a foot or two with wifi (??)

Unifi have a consumer mesh variant for that as well, but I have not used it, but the BT solution is also strong and well regarded… and if not heavy loading on the wireless APs whilst other Wifi loading elsewhere, should be ideal.
I put my APs, in the landing/stairs. They are best mounted high and in the clear for optimum performance. One is indeed literally side by side with a smoke detector.