House Plants - Yes or No?

I enjoy my houseplants and cannot imagine living somewhere without plants in most rooms.

2 Likes

My home gets little natural light so I’ve managed to kill most plants. Some, such as Gasteria verrucosa, only grow a little, but at least they don’t die …
Any suggestions for other plants, other than succulents, I might try?

Ferns do very well in low light conditions. I have a couple and really like them though they are high maintenance and require daily misting

1 Like

I like to have at least one big plant in the room, it makes me feel like i’m living outside instead of stuck between four walls. :deciduous_tree:

6 Likes

Where’s my weed hacker!

G

I am no expert about plants and by trial and error and the support of friends have muddled through to being able to keep plants alive. In my experience, Peace lilies like north facing light or not being in direct sunlight. Spider plants seem to survive in all conditions. Lots of broad leaf shade loving plants should do well indoors.

1 Like

The best plants for people who struggle to keep them alive would be weeds…

1 Like

Weeds are just plants in the wrong place

3 Likes

Both my wife and I would like to have indoor plants, but we have the same issue as @mikehughescq, we can’t seem to keep them alive. Weird.

I think of them as plants you don’t want - but of significance here also plants that grow no matter what you do to stop them!

Tell me about it! I have an allotment and all it takes is for a few rays of sunshine and a brief shower for weedageddon to break out

2 Likes

Artificial plants and flowers ?
Apart from air regeneration, they provide most of the positives of living versions without too much messing about.
You can spend a fortune on the really high quality ones which should pay for themeselves after some years.

Also add that they don’t give out allergens (as long as they are dusted every so often)

No, no, noooooooooo!

2 Likes

This little Kentia Palm is around 30 years old, I’ve a fair few others and wouldn’t be without them

8 Likes

Does it have a name ?

1 Like

This reminds me of those awful artificial smelling plugs, that one is supposed to just plug and refresh. Full of nasty little chemicals masquerading as dandelion, rosehip, cherry blossom and such like.

My mother was quite keen on these things when I was growing up, now I abhor them, as if there aren’t enough man made chemicals in the air as it is.

3 Likes

Yes. I dislike them also. Surely more a profanity to the senses though.

1 Like

I like indoor plants, especially ‘statement plants’ like Hollow’s palm. Adds variety as most would not survive outside and would therefore be lost to us in the UK.

Nice to nurture things, I have a clutch of a dozen Lemon trees, they would die if touched by frost, its a bit of a labour of love to keep em flourishing.

Not convinced about the CO2 benefit indoors, I expect they suck it up by day and pump a fair bit out by night!

1 Like

I don’t think artificial flowers have any of tge benefits of real plants other than (possibly) being visually attractive. However they are dust-gathering ornament, and in some homes might amount to “clutter”…

And scented candles?

I must admit that I will light some over Christmas…