House shaking BASS

I think your making the same point, almost, except for in my view the non sensical blinkered and prejudicial last two paragraphs.

I dont understand what a fashion store has to do with this.

Your taken with Mammal Hands and it’s probably Jazz, but you hate Jazz.

You cant define Jazz but you can definitely pinpoint the records.

Of course I cannot guarantee that there is nothing whatsoever in the jazz world that I might like if I heard it. Just as there are very occasional things in the ‘pop music’ world that I have liked but mostly not.

However, given that I have not liked anything jazz that I have heard, which is on a scale ranging from tolerable because it is not offensive and I am with company that are enjoying it, to being unable to stand hearing it, I feel I am quite justified in dismissing the genre. I certainly have no wish to try listening to jazz in the hope that one day I might find something I do like: why on earth suffer for that possibility when there is so much other music that I either know I do like, or if investigating something new there is a reasonable chance that I would like based on music described as similar?

What do you need subs for, my modified Briks love this… along with ten channels of amplification…

Regards

Richard

As a broad ‘concept’ I’m not a fan of jazz particularly - there may well be avenues I haven’t explored but overall it’s not for me.

The same could be said about Rap and reggae, of that I have heard I wouldn’t bother to download/ buy or listen to again.

I wouldn’t seek to prevent others from listening to it though anymore than I would expect them to interfere with what I choose to listen to.

Regards

Richard

Loathed though I am to perpetuate this outrageous diversion, I think that the label of ‘Jazz’ as a discrete genre is too broad to have a single attitude towards. It is like saying I hate people.

There are some ‘sub-genres’ of Jazz I truly hate. You know, those self-indulgent, improv. type pieces of cr*p that sound like a drunken double bass player falling down stairs, complete with his instrument.

However there are other Jazz ‘sub-genres’ I absolutely love. So the problem here is the non-specificity of the label ‘Jazz’.

Sorry to the OP, but I couldn’t resist sticking in my twopenneth!

2 Likes

Whilst you are right about the vast array of things that might be categorised as jazz, and I recognise that someone can like one very much and dislike another equally much, as you describe for yourself, I disagree that it is too wide a category to dismiss as disliked. As I indicated in my last post I can’t rule out the possibility that there might be something in the jazz world I like, but I have never yet heard anything, and I’m not going to subject myself to hearing music I don’t like, often can’t stand, in the hope of discovering some unexpected gem. On the basis of the wide range of jazz I have heard over many decades I am content to conclude that I do not like jazz. (N.B. That is not a single attitude, as it ranges from can’t stand being in same room to tolerable while enjoying myself for a reason other than music.)

And it is not akin to saying I don’t like people - that would be like saying I don’t like music. But within people as a whole I do identify certain categories of people - for the sake of example lets say loud-mouthed uncouth aggressive types - that on the basis of experience I conclude I don’t like and would rather avoid, even if it means I might not meet the odd person within the category with whom I might enjoy a good friendship if we met.

Apologies to the OP - I’m not sure how this diversion started, as jazz isn’t renowned for it house-shaking bass! But hopefully the discussion is interesting to some.

Fair comment IB.

(‘And it is not akin to saying I don’t like people - that would be like saying I don’t like music’……yes, I admit that was sloppy of me. I was exaggerating to make a point).

As I have said before, ‘vive la difference’!

1 Like

Indeed, everyone has likes and dislikes but when people talk of Hate towards something that they dont like or cant define, well we know where that can lead.

1 Like

Try some Sons Of Kemet, Theon Cross, Nubya Garcia maybe

Described by George Melly as sounding like a fire in a pet shop :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah, Nige!
Those cwap improvised self indulged pieces of music like…er, GoAhead John, the track on the Miles Davis LP Big Fun where those stupid men who sound like they and the8r instruments are just falling down a flight of stairs…ha, how I hate them.

Bloody John McLaughlin, that hippy who makes up all the notes he’s going to play next, and Chick Corea, and Keith Jarrett, and Jack DeJohnette, the useless git, the way those guys just make stuff up as they went along with Miles, with his revolting, invented on the spot tunes that went for 28 mins each, Jeez!

Rubbish the lot of it.

Nothing like the Real Jazz that I like.

2 Likes

Vive la Nige!

I actually own CDs of some of the the artists you mention (Brad Mehldau and Keith Jarrett), so I guess we are talking at cross purposes.

Nothing wrong with the concept of ‘the type of Jazz I like’, even if it doesn’t match your tastes in Jazz.

Vive la difference, Jim, vive la difference!

Yep. Jarrett played keyboards in the early to mid 70s in one of Miles’ wildest and most free form bands…

Never did they set foot in the same river twice.

Well, whilst as I indicated some jazz I’ve heard I can tolerate though it does nothing positive for me, I certainly hate some other jazz I’ve heard - Hate in this context meaning I can’t stand it and would not remain in earshot for longer than absolutely necessary, and if a radio was stuck on playing it at home and I couldn’t turn it off I’d chuck it outside. I don’t see what not being able to define it has to do with anything, nor what you mean by “we know where that can lead”. We’re talking about music here, not anything like race or politics - even if to some of us it isn’t music to our ears - for which verbal descriptions can be either very difficult or even meaningless.

As that was offered in an easy try format, I did. It falls into the category of tolerable - ok if I have gone out for a meal with friends and a band is playing that - but it does absolutely nothing for me. I found it boring, and not going anywhere. Clearly others like it, why I don’t understand, but then that is musical taste for you!

Expressing Hate towards a musical genre ( or any other form of cultural expression) is where I have difficulty.
This poster promoting a particular ideology expresses hatred towards a musical genre
Entartete_musik_poster
Google Negermuzik for more information

Like what you like, dislike what you dislike, but Hatred, Selective Hatred, Really?

1 Like

Ok, we clearly have different understanding of the term ‘hate’ in this context. In my experience the use of the word ‘hate’ is common parlance at least everywhere I have lived in Britain, e.g: ‘I hate ice cream’, ‘I hate musicals’, ‘I hate flying’, ‘I hate socks with sandals’, ‘I hate travelling alone’, ‘when I was a kid I hated school”, etc. More accurately perhaps it should be “I really, really dislike” or “I absolutely can’t stand”, but the word hate is frequently substituted, and in such contexts is nothing to do with the kind of hate to which you refer, as in hatred of people, which is true evil. Perhaps it is wrong to use the word hate, but outside the people context I dan’t see that it is.

I suggest any further discussion on this aspect, as opposed to discussion of musical taste, is one for the use of English thread, as it is quite irrelevant to this one. I shall copy this post there.

Incidentally, although you have challenged me to define jazz, and went from that to bringing out the term ‘hate’, I don’t think I have stated that I hate jazz! I don’t rule out the possibility that I could have done so in some brief reference, however as I think I have made clear, whilst I do not like jazz, have no expectation of that changing, and cannot understand what others see in it, it is only some that is so bad I can’t stand hearing it.

You assume my last post was directed at you.
Thou doth protest too much methinks
:wink: