House shaking BASS

Several times at the penultimate night of the Proms for example…

The main thing is that you’re happy with your sub.

Just listening to Miles Davis, Go Ahead John…

But let’s say I put on something like Josh Wink ‘Higher State of Consciousness’ loud when people are not trying to sleep in my house, then yes, the house is going to start to shake, with no sub anywhere in sight.

The neighbours Alsatian will start barking.

Although I very rarely get that kind of urge nowadays, at the ripe old age of 56, I’m more inclined to listen to jazz.

I like to test low sounds with James Blake track Limit to love. It’s so strong that it shakes mugs in the cupboard

1 Like

That is far from old! A decade older I don’t feel my age at all, still 18…

I struggle to understand the love of jazz on this forum, and amongst hifi dealers. The day I start to like jazz is the end of music!

3 Likes

That’s a sad thought. I found that when I got my first LP12, my musical tastes broadened considerably. As the record player produced a more realistic sound, I wanted to explore different sounds and styles. I found it all enjoyable as I could better appreciate the composition and/or musicianship. I was soon enjoying both Wagner and Coltrane.

6 Likes

To me the sad thought is turning to jazz! But liking or not liking jazz is nothing to do with how realistic a system sounds, but the music itself (I have experienced jazz live on a few occasions). Each to their own of course - not everyone likes the music styles that I listen to - but I have been struck by the strong dominance of jazz in people’s tastes on this forum, and also found it seems to be the go-to music for hifi demos. Just a complete turn-off for me, and it doesn’t matter how well a system may be able to play jazz, what matters is that it sounds realistic playing the music I do like.

Vive la difference!

2 Likes

For some serious bass action try this on for size. Personally, too much bass makes me physically ill. Went over to a friend’s a while back to listen to his new system that included a SVS sub and pretty much had to tell him to turn it down after a few minutes as I started to feel nauseous. But each to their own!

RoonShareImage-637373037758908530

I actually never listened to much jazz until the last few years when I really upped my hifi game. I do think it’s great demo music as it has a lot of dynamics and space, but I know some people just don’t like it (like my poor wife) and that’s ok. Classical I almost never listened to until this year - now that my setup is really there, it sounds unlike it ever did before. It may also be recent world events - one would think with my rock, punk, grunge past I’d be listening to angry music considering, but now at 56 I really need ambient, jazz, and classical to soothe my soul. And always a heaping dose of krautrock!

1 Like

Well, I’m a ripe old 56 with an eight and eleven year old, and about to get my brown belt in karate. So it’s all a ‘state of consciousness.’ (man, haven’t heard that in decades since I was dj-ing in the late nineties!)

1 Like

I most certainly hope we don’t have to justify our musical taste and preferences. I am very grateful of the vast variety of music genie and appreciate different interpretations of the same piece of work.

I still use Spotify on top of Tidal because of its superior music library. Like pics, I’d rather have a lower res good pic that high res blurred pic. Likewise, I absolutely love this forum and my Nova for opening my eyes to a whole lot more music than I know and making it so easy to access them.

Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Stuck this on to play with my bass and am quite enjoying the music.

Rather impressed how all the bass is so well handled by my amps and large floorstanders (in a small listening room).

Happy to say I am not feeling ill…yet.

3 Likes

It’s actually even more amazing how my stand mount, port-less, Audio Physic Compact Classics deal with it, with the 160 but even before with the 110. You can just about feel it but also make out the nuances. Yeah, it’s a good record. I’ve been meaning to explore more of his stuff. Amon Tobin also has some interesting bass on some of his stuff.

1 Like

For me I learned to enjoy sub bass and how it adds to music when I started using magnetic planar headphones (although many masters filter sub bass away) … the sub bass is below our auditory hearing at about 25 Hz , but we can feel the pressure, and it it surprisingly adds to the sense of ambience and realism.

What I also find interesting bass in EDM for bass kicks etc can often be a lot higher in frequency although one might think it’s deep bass… but it isn’t necessarily.

1 Like

I was half of a punk/rap/disco DJ outfit (Dead End Discos) in Solihull in 1979-1982.

(The rap part was just that Sven and I did ‘punk-talk’ over a lot of the songs.)

Like you, now have (8, 11 and 13 year-old) kids.

I cycle everywhere, work out for an hour a day, etc.

But I play much less Led Zep and dance music, and much more jazz than I used to.

It might be as much because my system is improving, rather than just my tastes evolving…?

2 Likes

Just not as much angst I would imagine. Part of it for me is my tinnitus ravaged ears can’t take much of the poor recordings of punk etc anymore. And who listens to punk at low volumes!?

Years ago, when my wife was pregnant with our first went to a small outdoor festival at a local winery with Tom Tom Club, Blondie, Pysch Furs and Devo, which would have been my first time seeing them. Alas, the bass from the Pysch Furs set made my wife so sick we had to leave during their set before Devo. It can be a really powerful thing, which I guess is why there have been weapons developed using it!

I’m ten years older, children likewise …but I still feel much as I did when I was 18, though with greater knowledge and experience and, I hope, wisdom. My music system has improved immeasurably in that time, and would sound infinitely better than my first system if they were put side by side, clarity, fullness of range, accuracy, naturalness and more - but I have the same musical taste as when I built my first hifi system as a teenager, save for a slight widening (notably having discovered tragic opera 20 years or so ago, something I wouldn’t have entertained trying in my teens. if I play Led Zep less now, it is only because I have more records to choose from so the LZ recordings are a smaller proportion of my collection.

Define “Jazz”?

1 Like

From King Shiloh Sound System bio;

the time Jah Tubbys broke the ceiling,” says Neil, recounting one of the worst and best nights in King Shiloh’s history.

That night King Shiloh were literally baptised into “the champions league” of soundsystems. During the warm-up, 30 minutes before the doors of the Brixton Rec were due to open, Jah Tubbys’ bass came in so heavy that it cracked the newly renovated swimming pool in the floor above. “Suddenly, I’m soaking wet. Lyrical Benjie next to me is soaking wet. There’s wet all over the amplifiers. I’m turning everything off. I could have been electrocuted. I was crying inside. We made all these preparations, it was our big day and we didn’t even get to play one record when the doors opened.”

3 Likes

I doubt I can…

I could quote a dictionary, but even if every dictionary definition is consistent I’m not sure it is possible to be precise. I can only really say that my understanding of what is jazz is based on everything I’ve heard that has been labelled jazz, and other things that may have had no style label but sounded off to me in the same sort of way there are characteristics I can’t describe without resort to a dictionary definition, but that stand out to me as jazz. There are of course crossover genres, like jazz-rock - with those it is a question as to where the demarcation may lie, but certainly to me at some point on the scale, the jazziness turns me off. Trying to put a finger on it is not easy because jazz of course is variable, but amongst other things might be (to my ears) too much randomness, and not uncommonly raucous or cacophonous brass/wind instruments (e.g sax or trumpet).

I get that what you’ve heard and believe to be “Jazz” you havent liked. Be interested for some examples. But “Jazz” has evolved from the narrow academic definition into something far more broad, diverse and inclusive.
I struggle to understand how someone can dismiss a whole umbrella term such as “Jazz” unless one has been able to listen to every conceivable piece of music ever recorded that might fall under the “Jazz” umbrella.
I have a particular passion for Jamaican Music which generically goes under the Umbrella of “Reggae”. Again this is an ill suited term for another very broad spectrum of musical styles and influences. I have friends who have said they dont like “Reggae” based on their own narrow definition of “Reggae”, (Bob Marley, UB40 etc) they’ve never really heard much Jamaican or Jamaican influenced music, but when I’ve introduced them to stuff beyond their narrow definition they usually find something to their liking.

Theres a lot of music pigeonholed as “Jazz” that I like and a lot that I dont, same goes for any other musical genre

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind … Duke Ellington

1 Like