How do you defrost you car windscreen in the cold weather?

Not impossible I guess to simply connect a cold feed only to the hot water supply, though that would likely waste money on rinse cycles.

Something I do from time to time if I do sit in the car with the engine idling and front defrost blower function on is to place the backs of my hand on the inside of the screen for a few seconds in different spots - you very soon see the areas you’ve been in contact with the screen defrosting much faster than other regions.

I pick the volvo’s key up, press two buttons in a strict order and sit back and enjoy the cup of tea my lovely wife has just brought through to me, while the car does the rest out on the drive, simples!

2 Likes

I clearly have the wrong type of car!

2 Likes
  1. Start the car

2. turn heated rear screen on

3. front blowers on full

4. a/c on if you have it

5. scrape ice of front/back/side screens to remove ice

6. sit in car for 1 minute

7. drive away with clear screen

8. do NOT put anything (e.g. warm/hot water) on the windscreen or it will simply refreeze until the screen has warmed up fully (could be 1-2 miles down the road)

9. do not use de-icer… rubbish and the chemicals evaporating freeze the screen even more

10. do not use the wipers until the screen is warm or they’ll smear a thin layer of water on the screen that freezes

I’ve been using this method for years and years with zero issues. I haven’t used de-icer since I was an idiot 17 year old but, tbf, car heaters were rubbish in the 1970s (especially in a 10 year old car!). Heck I remember having to spray de-icer on the INSIDE of the windscreen whilst driving!

2 Likes

Dont worry everyone…frozen windscreens will soon be a thing of the past due to global warming :rofl:
On second thoughts, perhaps frozen screens are not a bad thing…

1 Like

Two feeds to my washer, one hot, one cold. Just as they used to be :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yep, placement of the heater box in the engine bay wasn’t the best idea for heating efficiency. This is the setup on my Mk1 Granada.

My Sapph Cosworth has an amazing heater that burns your feet even in freezing weather. And if course a couple of buttons defrost the screens and mirrors. Back in 1995 it was my daily driver to go to work and back!

2 Likes

Yes, the EBAC allows that, just saying a connection is sinmply that so if single feed you could potentially use hot or cold.

Interesting, thanks

All those horses warm up quick!

3 Likes

It’s hard to believe not all cars have heated front and rear screens nowadays.

SWMBO takes to driving my old banger when on dog walking duties in the current inclement weather - defrosting is a matter of pressing two buttons then swiping wipers after 60 seconds. A luxury her fancy German marque cannot provide.

2 Likes

Yes I did Tim lol

1 Like

On Monday I sat in the car with heater on until windows were defrosted.

Minus 5 outside , track suit bottoms over jim jam .

1 Like

Had a heated front window on my Mini about six years ago

Lovely car in British Racing Green , invisible on country roads to certain makes of cars , normally those with four rings on the front .

4 Likes

Heated screens have a very fine mesh in the lamination that I don’t like. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Perhaps that’s one of the reasons it’s not standard, even on expensive cars. I can’t imagine the nightmare of buying a Ferrari 458 and then realising that your eyes have to look through a web to see where you’re driving.

Frosted screens aren’t a big issue, it’s just the lazy driver that’s the problem.

2 Likes

Hasn’t been a problem for me for the last 28 years. If you’re focused on the road ahead then they are not visible.

2 Likes

Years ago (about 40, I think) I drove a Ford Granada that had heated front screen. I found it very distracting. I think, though, that they have improved since then - the last 2 or 3 cars I have had were much better, and I don’t notice it at all.

I have only just noticed this thread & have not read any of the replys so please forgive me if my contribution has already been made by other posters.

My wife’s solution is simple & foolproof.

She hands me her scraper & tells me to clear her screen. It’s not failed yet…

9 Likes

Someone who owns a Ferrari 458 and leaves it outside to get iced up isn’t really representative of the car market.

I was clearly referring to mass market vehicles. Even if the heated screen was just an option.

Where we live iced screens on ungaraged cars can be a problem at any time for about 5 months of the year. So for the vast majority of the population here a heated windscreen would be an absolute bonus.

Trust me when I tell you that your brain tunes out the mesh when driving. Until I read this thread I’d forgotten there was one.