Hamburg ’72

Keith Jarrett piano, soprano saxophone, flute, percussion
Charlie Haden double bass
Paul Motian drums, percussion
NDR-Jazz-Workshop 1972
Radio producer: Michael Naura
Recording engineer: Hans-Heinrich Breitkreuz
Recorded live June 14, 1972 in Hamburg
Remixed July 12, 2014 at Rainbow Studio, Oslo by Jan Erik Kongshaug and Manfred Eicher
Album produced by Manfred Eicher

My guess is that the details you found on Discogs may be from another release that includes bonus tracks from a recording in NY on April 14th 1974 including Baker, Konitz and Harris?

[Thom Jurek, in his excellent AllMusic mini-review of the album (that is on the Naim app), mentions that there was an earlier release of the June 14th 1972 Hamburg gig in a version that had extremely bad SQ.]

1 Like

Yes, the one I found is the same but with additional tracks as you say. However the credits per track, just for the Hamburg concert, remain identical. So you don’t need really Roon for that. It’s how I understand the original question.

Yes, I don’t need Roon for track credits.

It would be convenient to have some of the information on Roon at my fingertips in one app rather than having to open multiple sites to find stuff out - but that alone is not for me worth the price and hassle of adding Roon at the moment.

1 Like

Of course not. But it’s nice to have the info right there in the player and be able to click any one of the links and see what else they have done (which includes production credits), and to play it right from there. The Focus feature also can narrow it down in ways that are difficult on Discogs.

I can understand. But for me I don’t always need to see the credits, and if I need, generally the booklet on the Naim app is accurate for that. So only sometimes I go to see through Discogs.

It depends on the music, I guess. About 95% of the music I listen to does not have a booklet on streaming services. Some of it has good-to-useful credits in Roon, but some of it has poor-to-none, so it’s a godsend that Roon gives me the option to edit the releases and artists that are important to me.

And while I have heard of Discogs, Wikipedia, Google, etc. :wink: I find it much more immersive to just click and browse in Roon, and I am much more likely to do this rather than purposefully googling for something.

I’ve found many connections between artists in my library that I didn’t know about, and which I would never have found otherwise because it would never have occurred to me to google for whether X worked with Y.

The connection appears in All music site too. However I rarely use it today because it’s full of pop ups and became a nightmare to read.
It’s a matter of preference. I prefer to read and do some search on the credits or albums during other periods than listenings. I prefer to cut off my brain when listening, be absorbed and not diverted.
We have all different habits.

Sure, that’s what I mean to say.

Exactly :slight_smile: While this is just nice:

Plus there are of course so many other things. For once, nobody else seems to understand that there is a difference between original release date and the release date of a particular version, and that I don’t want reissues of albums from the 60ies sorted into 2010.

1 Like

Good thing this topic didn’t derailed. :joy:

1 Like

Another recording that includes a series of odd notes and hesitations is My Friend the Forest.

At 4:24 there’s an intentionally off note, I think.

Also recorded in the Funkhaus.

How did you find these on tidal? If I search for vision under track I get lots of results and it thinks I want all sorts of tracks not called vision before it actually gives me McCoy tyner vision. Actually I gave up, but I presume it was there. The only way I know how to find a song without this frustration is by going to the artist and then finding the album it’s on and then finding the song . In this case there is only one version of the album expansions. So I’m curious as to how you find these three versions of the song???

In the Tidal desktop app (Mac) I do a search and this turns up:

I installed a tracker that allows you to automatically find all the flaws

I didn’t know you could use commas like that! Thanks

WhAt do you mean by flaws?

Possibly the sidechain compression of the bass to the kick. Commonly used and perhaps not tweaked sufficiently that this is obvious.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.