How good is the Supernait 2 comparing…?

I use the nac122x / flatcap 2x / nap150x and I wonder if the Supernait 2 is equally good or even better?
I have been waiting to reform my audio rack and have fewer boxes, but I don’t want to loose the sound quality I have now.
My speakers are KEF LS50 and Totem Model 1.
Can anyone share your experience and opinion?
Thanks

I started in Naim with that set up in 2004.
Upgraded over a couple of years. Moving to a 202 pre with a NAPSC and a HiCap was the biggest jump. It’s a significantly better preamp. The 150/200 is less of a thing - probably 250 better. The SN? No idea. I doubt it though as this generation of Naim separates tend to be significantly better than the all in ones.

1 Like

Hi, I too had the very same system, fronted by a CD5x , as my introduction to the Naim brand circa '08. Due to the chance of an upgrade, within a budget, I traded in the 122x and 150x for a SN2 in '16. I can confirm that the Sn2 is a significant upgrade on the two box amp, it, for me, has a fuller and more muscular sound. However I feel there is a caveat to this, if you wish to reduce your box count. On my dealers advice I hooked up the FC2x to the Sn2 and this helped widen the slightly narrower soundstage that the SN2 presented. Adding a Hicap improves the soundstage even more and is a delightful combination with the intergrated. Just an observation to make that if you are already happy with the soundstage you presently have, going from a three box amp to one may have it’s drawbacks. But sound quality is certainly not one of them. Good luck.

2 Likes

I loved the NAC112x, Flatcap 2x and NAP150x - they all just worked together so well, particularly when fronted by the matching CD5x and playing into a suitable pair of speakers (I loved this system with Allaes, Neat Elites or Motive 2s).

The Totems though probably like a bit of power so you may find that the Supernait 2 will work very nicely. However, what you currently have is great, so best take a listen first before jumping.

By the way, what is/are your sources, as this may well be the more critical issue.

5 Likes

Both are considered on the same level. From what I read often here.

I’d say SN2 is a step up
More power but maybe less relaxed.
No mention of source as if this is not important :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

My preference would be for the separates, but only if they are set up properly and not in need of a service, which yours will be if they haven’t been done from new.

I can see that some may perhaps prefer the more muscular sound of the Supernait, and as Richard says above, it may well be a better match for some speakers, but that aside I would go for separates every time.

4 Likes

The SN2 is excellent, I have one, but I would think that if they are serviced, a matched set of seperates would almost always be better. They would sound different tho and you may prefer the SN2 sound. You’d have to listen to both first, then sell on the lessr one.

3 Likes

I would say that the sn2 is a step up and even more so with a hicap, or two

1 Like

122x?

1 Like

SN2 when combined with a HiCap DR makes great music. Looking at current used prices I believe this represents incredible value. I use mine with a 1st Gen NDX-BT and a cheap pair of Wharfdale Linton’s at my shop. Super fun system to listen to.

3 Likes

Yes, typo, I meant NAC122x. The NAC112x was good but the 122x was better.

2 Likes

I have the SN2 and love it. There are a few used 250DR (80 watt version) for sale at a good price.
Would using the SN2 as a preamp with a 250DR as the power amp, be an upgrade over the SN2 by itself?

Does a cable exist that would allow me to pre amp out the SN2 into a 250DR?

1 Like

Just use the one (DIN4-XLR) that comes with the NAP250DR. As you have a dedicated power supply (HICAP), just connect to one of the three DIN4 signal outs on the HICAP.

1 Like

Thank you Richard.

Can you use 2HCs on a SN?

No, only one. Ignore me, I had two on my 282 one of which came from my sn2

1 Like

I have forgot to say that I have several Cd players, transports and Dacs, including the wonderful CD5x, the Rega Saturn and Musical Fidelity AMS CD.
Also the cables are all Naim including the Nac A5
The 150x can not only drive the Totem Model 1 but also combine very well with the demanding Thiel CS.5 (85db / 4ohm). This combination presents a surprisingly sweetness in the high frequencies that I simply didn’t expected.

If I understood correctly, the SN2 can robe a little of the 122x/150x sweetness, and will introduce a better sense of control and power… well, that makes me think about it, as prefer a more natural and non fatiguing listening experience.
Also I understand some comments about the soundstage, and I forgive my Naim combo for not performing in that department as well as my other system combinations. For example: just remove the Naim and insert the Belles Soloist 1 integrated amplifier and you’ll “see” the room full of musicians playing the instruments in a well perceptible space.
But the Naim brings something very special, an emotional drive and robustness to the sound that it simply makes me happy - especially with some types of music.
I wanted a bit more of that with the plus of reducing components…

Note: my Nap150x was totally recapped 3 years ago with Kemet capacitors (large ones) and Nichicon (small ones). The FC2x was not.

1 Like

If you add an Hicap to the SN2, it will sound sweeter and more analog. But then 2 boxes…

1 Like

I can hardly think of a better solution as s/h SN2 are around the €2K mark.
I find it not behind a SN3 which is much more expensive.

I went from SN2 to Rega Aethos, also a more expensive solution, in many ways better - but the single SN2 did impress me.

1 Like