How is the Naim Supernait 3 this good!

Same here Skeptikal

I run a fully loaded LP12 ARO with the SN3/HCDR

No doubt about it - SN3 is the bargain of the century in the Naim line up

Be interesting to see what Naim does next to better it

6 Likes

I’d sell a kidney for your system 1

I run an NDS into an SN2 and it’s marvelous, so an SN3 will be even better. A HiCap certainly wouldn’t hurt.

3 Likes

I could recall your avatar, but not your username! Thanks for responding :slight_smile: You’ve certainly inspired me that a high end source into Naim integrated is a great place to be SQ wise. I hope to upgrade to a SN at some point, and NDS prices in the UK are pretty tempting too at the moment! I bet your system sounds exceptional and is one I suspect my own upgrade path would follow/emulate at some point.

@marcusman curious what was behind your question, are you thinking about where to invest in future upgrades, amplifier or source/s?

3 Likes

Strangley enough I’ve never been in love with the look of the Classic series pre-amp with that second row of buttons so purchasing them wouldn’t likely make me happy(visually).

I heard the 200 series (222,250) a few months ago and my first thought was how good my current system is. For me my next step is likely the NAC332 / NC250 combo and keep my current Source/PS.

3 Likes

I also consider the 332 as a logical upgrade either with a 250 (maybe 350) or with ATC 40 active speakers. But you have to take loads of money in your hand, plus an extra box for a phono pre. You could buy tons of Vinyl for that. :wink:

2 Likes

When I was looking to upgrade my SN2 + HCDR about 4 years ago because I thought I needed a more powerful amp to get the best out of my Focal Electra 1038Be Floorstanding speakers I did a lot of research and shortlisted the Hegel 590, Mark Levenson 5805 and Krell K300i which I demoed and preferred the Krell.
Then I back to back demoed the Krell with the SN3 + HCDR because the dealer said the Naim was more " musical", although not as powerful, It was much more musical, so I bought the SN3 which was also a good SQ upgrade over the SN2.
I also found that the SN3 responded very well to source upgrades be it BluRay Player, CD Player, Streamer or AV Amp all the upgrades made better SQ via the SN3 + HCDR so I have been very impressed with how good the SN3 is and how much it can keep getting the most out of its sources.
A fantastic integrated amplifier that punches way above its weight compared to the competition.

9 Likes

I had an SN3 and loved it. I had an ND5 going into it and later added a SuperCap and NAP250. There is no denying that the SuperCap added a lot more detail to the music; but I think as others have said above, the SN3 is more than enough amplification for a home/domestic system. The NAP250 obviously sounds good, but unless you turn the volume up relatively loud, I find you do not get the benefit. If you are therefore happy with the SN3, I would recommend sticking with it and saving a lot of money (unlike me!).

5 Likes

Yes, the NDS does make the system sound great. It needs a separate power supply of course, which is one of the things that makes it sound so good. If your goal is Qobuz and high-res music files, then the NDS is not ideal as it won’t receive Qobuz and has two smaller buffer to live stream high-res files. It will play them off a stick or Nas though, but you would have to add a current streamer if you wanted to stream Qobuz high-res files.
A very close parallel streaming setup would be the ND5 XS2 with a pre-owned nDac. The nDac it’s very similar to the NDS, but the ND5 XS2 will stream Qobuz and high res files. The nDac still requires an external power supply of course. Some prefer the NDS and some prefer the nDac.

Btw, your vinyl setup is exactly what I would get if I ever get back into vinyl. I had a GSP Reflex M/PSU1, back when I still had a TT set up, and the Accession must be even nicer.

1 Like

I’m a happy BubbleUPnP user, feeding a UQ1, the NDS should work ok being fed that way too. No immediate plans, but NDS/SL1200/SN something, seems to me like a very nice aspiration, and a great place to stop :wink:

1 Like

Yes that would make an excellent system. I also am not on the upgrade train. Things can always sound better, but the SN2 or SN3 level with an excellent steamer/dac sounds so good, it’s good enough for me. This way, also, I have funds for other hobbies I have, as well.

I spice the system up with good speaker cables (which I still have to get), a Hi-line, good power cables and such, but I don’t really want to spend money on any more boxes except possibly power supplies.

I won’t bother upgrading from an SN2 to SN3 as word on the street is is not really enough difference for the extra expense. The SN2 can be had for such a steal on the pre-owned market these days. I don’t think anything in that pre-owned price range could come close.

I’ve heard that the BubbleUPnP works very well with the Legacy streamers.

5 Likes

I understand the love for the SN3. I own the SN2 and love it as well.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Hi @david1111
I had a SN2 for 4 years and listened to music through it every day and loved it. Borrowed a SN3 to compare it (at home) and loved the improvement. I thought it was well worth upgrading and it keeps improving with higher quality sources. Both amps sound good at low listening levels.

I do agree that the SN2 has to be one of the best (second hand) bargains around as they can be had for £1500 these days which is brilliant VFM - especially when compared against the cost of a new SN3. There’s been a lot of noise about the retro NAIT 50 - which I am sure is great - but I love the sound I have with the LP12 and PMC speakers, which the SN3 can properly drive. I don’t want to change anything; I’ve got the system I always wanted, so it’s all about kicking back and enjoying the music. I also prefer the understated, simple, non-flashy look of the Classic range which is the cherry on the cake. Happy days.

9 Likes

@1GiantLeap how do you find the PMC’s with the SN3?

Hi @Robbo1
Some years ago I had PMC GB1is (their smallest floor standing speaker) which had a lovely sweet sound, but they just couldn’t produce the bass adequately. I tried different manufacturers but kept coming back to the PMC sound (also liked Dynaudio and Proac but lack of space at the time ruled them out). When I first heard the PMC 25.23 I thought they were a revelation driven by the SN2. Very occasionally I could hear the 25.23 tweeter sounding a little splashy, like it was struggling to resolve some of the finer more complex detail on some tracks but I still rate the 25.23s as cracking speakers. My old dealer once commented his job had become rather boring because so many people paired Naim and PMC as they are so well matched.

Going from SN2 to SN3 and 25.23 to 25.23i you might think would only bring marginal gains, but I just love this combination and IMO think there is terrific synergy between amp and speakers and a good source. It doesn’t feel like anything is being held back at any point in the sound chain now. The SN3 is able to properly drive PMC’s smaller speakers and really grip the bottom end. I don’t know what you are considering, but the 25.21i and 25.23i models both sound wonderful with the improved tweeter and revised crossover design and I can’t recommend either highly enough.

7 Likes

Qobuz and Bubble UPnP into NDS (and UQ2 upstairs) is how I run. Mainly listening through headphones but an occasional treat out loud with SN2 and PMC OB1I’S.
All sounds sublime and I won’t move on without a lottery win, very happy with it all.

2 Likes

Yes, very well said @1GiantLeap . I’m very much if the same mind. If the right deal came along on an SN3 I would probably grab it and keep the one I liked the best.
I also prefer the non-flashy Classic series, in fact have my kit rack in a completely different, extra room so that I don’t even have to look at it. Slightly longer speaker wires and the Naim App makes my speakers sing with no apparent source.
This setup also allows me to have the side of the rack against the wall and the back of the rack open for access to the cables and such. Very handy.

5 Likes

The phono stage in the SN3 is pretty good and an added benefit to bear in mind. My turntable sounded great going into it.

5 Likes

Hi @1GiantLeap,
did you try the PMC 25.22i (or 25.24i) with the SN3 ? I’m considering the PMC 25 range as a change for my actual speakers. The possibility to step over as active driven ones opens also interestkng future paths (like pairing with NSC 222).