How it looks / not how it sounds

Things go in fashions, and manufacturers follow - once upon s time they were mostly silver, which I never liked. And when they depart from the norm they risk vilification - witness the love or hate reactions to the styling of Chord products.

With speakers, departure from traditional shapes - usually for valid acoustic design reasons - is often again disliked.

why a joke Joaquim? it has an integrated phono inside and looks nice and well built. I will however never bought it…

what about JBL dd600image

4 Likes

And hugely popular in my neck of the woods. You can practically buy them anywhere.

Avid Reference four.

I Like the uber tech in a small package that seems to be gaining momentum recently. Defying the laws of physics seems almost possible

Magico Q1

1 Like

i like very much the style of these italian speakers ( but 30k)

diapason dynamis speakers, picture above

Good example of function dictating form, presented interestingly - no parallel surfaces for internal standing waves, with big bass driver and enclosure for bass extension (but no idea how they sound!)

and a good stand too. I have no idea on the sound also. ( i must say also or too?)

perhaps not very pretty, but clever french design, icos dactatablette ( dac and shelf for the transport, in one component).image

Well, to be honest, neither - I mean, neither “too”, nor “also”. “However” at the beginning of the sentence, or “though” at the end, might be more appropriate. Sorry to sound pedantic…

“And a good stand too.” Is perfectly understandable, but not a proper sentence. A proper sentence would be “The stand is good too”.

“I have no idea on the sound also.” would be better expressed as Sam Claus says - “However, I have no idea about the sound.”

1 Like

In the simple, easily understood (!) English language, either word works, though the sentence construction Is a bit different from yours, and the two words would be used very slightly differently:
I, too, have no idea of the sound.
I also have no idea of the sound.

1 Like

I still have my Michell Syncro with the rounded corners from 1986, looks stunning and doesn’t sound too bad either

The MF A1 amp I had before my XS2 was rather pretty as well

7 Likes

agree for Michel Synchro very nice look!

Burmester 175 new turntable, i find it very nice

1 Like

At least something that looks truly gorgeous without having someone drop LSD in your tea.

1 Like

And not a single mention of a Naim product, the epitome of unobtrusive class, understatement and style. When the herd is left loose, all sort of bombastic remnants from the 60s, or things out of Downton Abbey, or visions from 2040’s episodes of Star Trek all come out together… Help.

Ok, on the ground of looks alone I’d only re-buy the Neat Iotas.

Coughs quietly. I did say the Nova excelled at SQ and aesthetics.

and

The 4004 is a work of art, it also sounds very good. (belt driven, suspended subchasis).

Both are now sold. The guy who bought the Environmental Sound, did so purely for its look. As I did.:star_struck:

1 Like