How Loud Do You Listen in a Typical Listening Session?

Interesting topic.

I have a Unitilite, so no dial. I generally don’t listen above 40, more likely 35 max, and on many occassions a lot less.

However I’d be interested in knowing how many db those settings are (subject to stream/cd level).

There are many apps for iOS, can anyone recommend a free one that they feel is acurate?

Playback levels vary even on the same disc. When the volume becomes “uncomfortable”, can’t put it any better than that, then its time to back off. Particularly in a classical work that has say a soprano part. My ear/s just starts to “crack”!
Some discs are almost too dynamic: the penalty of a CD555 and two PSs. But then you could say a 120 piece orchestra is much the same. Look at a TV broadcast of a classical concert and often woodwind players have a clear plastic shield as brass players behind can cause long term ear damage.
In a rock concert you often see ear defenders.
I think Pater Walker got it about right: every recording has an ideal level. That’s less easy with non classical music. What’s the right level? When your ears start to protest.

My wife tells me my music is ALWAYS too loud!

4 Likes

In my modest snug, that’s my optimum range too.

In my experience, the ‘loudness’ of vinyl can vary considerably - and, though I may be wrong, I equate ‘loud’ LPs with poorer quality SQ.

It’s a woman thing… so I’ll just smile… and gently “shoooooooooooo” her away… LOL Its my man den… come on… we gotta do what we gotta do.

I liked 12 to 1 o’clock with ACDC at the store where I heard these on a 500 series set up - it was rockingly good.

2 Likes

I use a free dB meter on my iPhone to monitor loudness when listening to music. Loudness usually ranges between 65 dB and 80 dB with Max peaking at 90 dB, depending on the type of music

I try where possible to manage the loudness in order to protect my ears and I recommend installing a free app dB meter on your phone, rather than rely on the volume number or the clock position on the volume knob.

I agree with others that there is an optimal loudness for a particular type of music.

What I have found however is as I have gone up the Naim hierarchy it allows you to play a little louder and still sound good.

This however is dangerous to both your own ears and neighbourly harmony. So well worth managing the loudness through a dB meter on your phone.

1 Like

Hi Nigel… great suggestion… will do!

Not just a little… but 30 to 50% more…? :sweat_smile: :upside_down_face: :grimacing: Just stand further back… It’s how I test the room too… and how much it can handle peaks.

This headroom stems from the system’s control, and if we set it up carefully, permits head-banging sorties at wonderful levels without it screeching to be turned down… it’s the domain of a serious set up to be able to crank the volume and find it absolutely ok because it is just loud but does not hurt the ears. I love absolute power and grip - of a Naim monoblock - which the 500DR is as I understand it, in a single case - on the speaker’s drivers and be able to back off the volume not because the system can’t go louder without screeching, but because I value my hearing. :sunglasses:

Close up the room completely… and yes… even then it permeates some but I like the thought of being able to play rock or heavy bass at 2am and not have anyone know I’m having a private sortie. :slight_smile: (am horsing a little - no way rock music loud at 2am but I do like that thought - next sound-proofing project…)

Cheers

1 Like

From a phone app, its around 65db average for general listening, maybe a little lower if others present in the house.

According to my spl app average 65db, peak 87db.

Blockquote
What I have found however is as I have gone up the Naim hierarchy it allows you to play a little louder and still sound good.

I agree, but would add that the converse also applies, in that listening at lower levels also improves

2 Likes

Agreed, I only mention the high-level listening as a warning.

It is all too easy to listen comfortably at high levels with great kit and this is where a sound level check is advisable as a sanity check.

I just know my wife keeps telling me it’s too loud.

Its late. During the day a bit louder .

This gave me a warm chuckle.
Most of my Cd cases have Naim style volume knobs drawn on them, each showing the volume at which they should be played on my old 90/92
A Godsend when you don’t have a remote for the volume.

1 Like

Volume control position is meaningless, as the loudness in the listening position depends fundamentally on the level from the source, the gain of the power amp (IIRC one of the NAPs differs from the others), the sensitivity of the speakers (which can vary hugely), and the distance of the listening position from the speakers. The reflectivity of the listening room can also have an influence. As for measuring level, the How loud is loud thread referenced has some info on that - and important is to be sure readings are dB(A), and be clear as to whether average or peak is being quoted (both are useful).

For myself, as stated in the How loud is loud? thread, it varies by mood, but I do sometimes play at “realistic” levels, whence the sound level at the listening position may average high eighties for rock music. classical music depends on the type - an extreme being the Telarc 24-bit recording of Tchaikovsky’s 1812, of which the canons easily reach the 115dB max output of my speakers before clipping, perhaps 113dB(A) at my listening position, with the average sound level only in the seventies meaning I have to keep it down, unnaturally. Other dramatic orchestral music I might play with average sound levels of the higher volume passages in the eighties.

For my ears’ sake, in general I tend to keep average levels no higher than low eighties except for short periods of time - truly realistic rock music maybe only 2 or 3 albums max in a session, and that infrequently.

2 Likes

Keb Mo plays nicely at around 70db. But for Rammstein it has to be 85 and above. I’ve always found that whilst most recordings seem to have an optmum point where everything snaps into place in a given system and room, it is mood that is the final arbiter.

1 Like

I’m typically at 60 to 75-80dB.

I listen mainly at night when the kids are asleep and my ‘normal’ listening position is 9pm on the 552. It can vary to more or less depending on the album. DB wise probably in the 80’s. If I listen to vocal acoustic music for example I need the volume to somewhat match what I would expect if they were in the room.

1 Like

Surely the higher you jack up the volume the more value for money you’re getting from your system :wink:

Depends on what I’m listening to but mostly 80-90db.

1 Like

Just downloaded an app that measures the decibels. I’m in the 60-75 range. Somehow I thought it would be higher lol