How much does a CD Transport matter?

I bought a CD5XS for this use case albeit with different downstream kit. Very satisfied.

It is rather good, isn’t it….and it’s a thirty(?) year old bit of kit! I had ours running into the nDAC before Xmas, while the CD3.5 was back in’t shop for a new laser.

2 Likes

Google for “Mr Tech Guy”, near Huntingdon. Yeah, it’s a silly name, but Russell is an ex-Meridian service engineer. He’ll be able to advise.

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give him a call.

1990 called they want their Transports back…

2 Likes

“Does it really matter?”
yes - without one ‘cannot spin those TWO compact discs!’

Others have suggested foregoing CD ‘investment’ and simply going streaming
My experience here is that a CD player I spent 80$ on (several in fact), more than twenty years ago, FLOG!, just about every ‘modern’ transport I can find (for budget coin outlay).

Does it really matter? (part 2)
Sure there are ‘nuanced’ improvements that comes from a less ‘guessed at’ stream of digital. better transients and spacing and imaging and ‘reality’.
Ten times more cost into a transport won’t net GREATLY more sound quality (vs investing that same ‘10x’ amount of money, well, into the rest of the system).

I play with transports (a lot).
Sorting out a decent DAC first, and, with EVERYTHING else sorted (including cables and power), rotating transports can make (subtle) audible differences…

When I have the freedom to rotate through ten plus transports, it is fairly quick to realise that ‘transport quality alters sound playback’ (ABSOLUTELY!!)

as to how much it alters the sound?! most wouldn’t know or care- many more MIGHT hear a difference, but still not know which is the better rendering (etc)…
This is subtle stuff.
Sure a decent transport can open up the ‘best’ of any given DACs capabilities.
Doesn’t make sense to ‘choke’ a DAC from being ‘its best’; not does it make sense to bypass better DACs chasing ones’ tail on a ‘high quality transport’ (for TWO media parts)…

The best advise given thus far, for the OP, I’d back;
buy an ‘entry level’ Rotel or branded well built ‘budget’ transport, and compare vs whichever ancient Bluray player (or DVD player) is in the house.
Even mid tier UHD players are very poor(as a digital transport) vs ‘fairly budget’ earlier generation units (such as HD-DVD/Bluray/DVD-A/SACD/DVD/LD and CD spinners).
I’d find the biggest/heaviest ‘ancient’ player (in the garage or at a neighbours garage sale), and compare its’ digital output vs ‘the < 400$ UHD/4K spinner’.
If you can hear obvious changes in the sound heard through your DAC, comparing a mid tier ‘budget’ option from twenty-thrity years ago (vs a modern UHD player), then you WILL notice improvements by lowering jitter with a better (modern) transport.

When I look inside the casework on various CD tranports I quickly realise that I’d have to spend three-four times the cost of an entry level spinner to buy something that equates to 90s/2000s half decent second hand stuff that floods the marktet.

With the right transport, a DAC can certainly ‘shine more’

Spoken as someone using an R2R DAC, whose topology eases jitter ‘rejection’, and who uses Non Oversampling on classic 44khz 16bit ‘redbook’ format music files- transport quality, even with my ‘budget’ R2R, makes a HUGE difference to sound quality- to my trained ears, listening to familiar tracks… changing a speaker position in my room would make a HUGE audio difference that EVERYONE MIGHT NOTICE, vs, changing a transport equalling a change that some MAY notice. (more so with appropriate ear training and ‘knowing what to look for’). The difference in Sound Quality from a mid tier to a high end transport is then ‘held back’ by the absolute capabilities of the DAC.

Buying expensive CD transports really should be for those who have large libraries/prefer CD as a format/seek out ‘gold discs’ and better pressings. (really pull away from ‘streaming’ file quality with great CDs ie gold picture discs burned under a full moon after midnight…)

2 Likes

[quote=“simon, post:25, topic:33305, full:true”]
If you weren’t aware:

SACD players do not output DSD (the SACD signal) via their digital outputs (some exceptions to that). If a SACD player has a digital out it will most likely be converted to PCM. This is most likely how your Blu Ray player works with your AV amp.

I have a universal player and it will only output via RCA and not digital, as I understand it , this is Sony flexing their muscles .

It means I cannot use the DAC in my Naim Uniti Qute for SACD

2 Likes

[quote=“angelface, post:29, topic:33305, full:true”]
Yes transports can make a big difference. I have over 300 CDs and love my Cyrus CDXTSE2.

I recently heard a demo of Cyrus CDXR as a transport and I was frightened to hear difference between a 200 pound and a 1000 pound digital coaxial cable between transport and preamp with a good DAC in it.
[/quote]

You often get wot you pay for.

2 Likes

After many decades of inadequate CD PLAYERS, I was first introduced to CD Transports early 2023, late to that party as per usual. I’ve had the Cambridge Audio CXC, the Audiolab 6000CDT and even the Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK3. I liked them all. Recently, I’ve sold them all and purchased the new Shanling ET3 Transport.

I find it sounds nearly as good as the Jay’s Audio but at 1/3rd the price.

Getting into transports for CD listening had me digging out my 800 CDs out of storage and repurposing some old record storage to make way for CDs again. I learned quickly that I did not want to revisit all my CDs and after culling the 800 I had, I was left with ~250 that I have added to my racks. The rest were reboxed in the attic.

Of course, all 800 CDs were ripped into FLAC files on a small SSD drive years ago, but I prefer the physical media.

The Shanling ET3 is outputting via S/PDIF to my Chord Hugo TT2 DAC and from there to my SN3 intetragted. It sounds very good to me. Perhaps slightly better than streaming Qobuz via Roon. It’s hard to say for sure, but is fun to play with.

10 Likes

If you were a 780nm laser beam trying not to miss thousands of 100x500nm wide pits passing in front of you at 1.5 mt./sec, and it was a matter of life or death because the same pit is not going to pass in front of you again, you’d think differently.

6 Likes

about the cost of a naim repair I think ?

Ive just upgraded my Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player used in Transport Mode for a Moon 260DT Transport.
Every thing else in the hifi system is exactly the same and the Moon sound quality is much better than the old transport.
The bass sounds considerably better and overall the sound is clearer and has more detail.
So it is my experience that a better transport gives better sound quality.

4 Likes

Buying any old cd player or transport is really just a ticking time bomb as it’s going to fail at some point, and then you have little chance in fixing it or a big bill.
I would certainly look at only new or secondhand unit’s that are only a few years old only.

Then as far as do transports matter, then 100% yes. But as always this is system dependent, and your own ears.
A high resolving system should show you difference between them, like it does with anything like this, one that’s let’s say probably won’t.
There are certainly some great new transports around at less than £500. But go up a little more to around £1000, and then something like the schitt urd, with it’s great metal CD tray and mechanism from StreamUnlimited used by many at the moment as it’s that good.
Or the other favourite at the moment the moon 260D at just under ÂŁ2000.
I think once you get to this level then the difference between them starts to fade as far as transport only goes, and then gains only start to make sense if you are pairing up items like say for myself being a dCS dac owner, then a dCS transport gives me a lot more, but the cost for that is massive, and would only be worth it if cd/sacd was your main go to, and you had 1000’s off them.
That’s my take on the hole CD thing at the moment, and i don’t have any way to play a CD right now, ripp them yes, and all my CD’s are ripped. But even though i probably wouldn’t use a CD much at all, i would still give one rack space, strange lol.

Cheers dunc

4 Likes

Hi. For your consideration, I have sent my Meridian 500 (series 3) transport to Mr Tech Guy for servicing plus a new laser head. He is pretty good. Thanks.

1 Like

I have this one. I could hear the motor from across the room. Unacceptable

1 Like

I have been in contact with Russ and will likely be sending off my Meridian shortly. A really good tip from the forum. Appreciated.

2 Likes

My my, we have certainly come full circle. My audiophilia disease / awakening came at the tail end of the cassette tape & the first decade of the CD era.

1. Mechanical isolation matters
  2. jitter is a big thing (better clock, after market clock etc)
  3. lasers will fail one day (not many companies make laser mech nowadays). Best to try to look for something that has spares (not easy nowadays)
  4. streaming / file as source s*cks ! (There, I said it)

Post Script : item 4 for dramatic effect. Streaming is not bad. In fact, it can be rather good but still cannot beat CD (in my system).

1 Like

I rather like streaming ……

1 Like

As a slight correction:

The Moon 260DT is currently £2900 in the UK. I use a 260D with the DAC option (used as a transport only though). It’s an excellent transport, that is virtually silent when the disc is spinning. I did compare it against a Chord Blu (3-4 times the price). The Chord did show some improvement, but negligible bordering on the ‘fooling myself’ level.

There’s no doubt transports make an impact on the performance of a system, whether a CD transport or a bridge. As ever, it will be system and priority dependent, with value being for the buyer to judge…

2 Likes

A good decision the Chord is no longer made due to the Phillips mechanisms having run out. Your Moon has its own proprietary mechanism👍