How Much Have You Invested In Cables

Gary
I feel just fine but thank you for your concern

But if you look at it in context of the system the cable new cost is about 20% of the system new cost
Then there’s the added cost of active, 2 more speaker cables, 2 more Din-XLR, 1 more interconnect and 3 more Burndies
I have progressively gone to Sarum from Epic and Naim and now going towards Sarum T and Music

Lyndon

3 Likes

Almost nothing. NACA5 free from the dealer, Naim includes all interconnects…
I spent a few bucks on Ethernet for my digital setup, one Chord Co. and a few from BlueJeans
all in all, less then $200 maybe?

3 Likes

Some cables are no doubt items which provide high profit.

3 Likes

We’ve spent a bit on cables but none of them have cost us anything like RRP. Cables are one area of a system where a long term view and a little patience pays off.

1 Like

£77…

I’ve tried some expensive cables (interconnects as I’m running active speakers) and have been convinced they sound better, until I’ve compared them blind with other cables and then I’ve realised I can’t tell the difference between any of them. Also never been convinced by any ethernet cables and instead use wifi. #sceptic :slight_smile:

3 Likes

With interconnects, in at least some situations and systems, I am pretty convinced that at least some of the perceived improvement is not psychological.

However, a lot of it may come down to better shielding (or any shielding) or even just more careful cable-dressing and of course cleaning connections a bit by accident with all that unplugging and replugging.

And despite saying all that, I am still keeping my WH cables.

2 Likes

Rather than focusing on the total value tout court I set my own rule about cables spending, no more than 20% of the total value of the system.
More than this often it is worth an upgrade of one device.

Not much:

• NACA5 Speaker Cable 14’ (4.2672 meters) each speaker.
  • All standard Naim interconnects except a Naim HiLine between NDX 2 > NAC 282.
  • Chord C-Stream Cable between English Electric 8 port GbE Ethernet switch and NDX 2.
  • Three TibiaPlus12 Deep-Cryo AC power cables for XPS-DR, HiCap DR and NAP 250 DR
  • Wiremold 9-outlet AC Power Strip.

I was taken aback too when I did the sums. In my case, it may be worse since the overall cost of the cables in my systems is getting rather close to the total cost of the equipment and speakers. I suspect those who have more than £10k in cabling own the 500 series or Statement.

I know I’ve spent way too much, over the past 25 years it’d probably add up to more than $12k.

£ 5.5k on 2 x SL IC’s and 4m pair of SL speaker cable, managed to get big discount on RRP otherwise it wouldn’t have happened

I’m done with cables but here’s my setup

Wave Storm between MScaler and Dave £1500

AR Lunar RCA to DIN found a used example for £150 new around £310

Naim DC1 £200 ex demo between ND5XS2 and Mscaler

Witchhat Phantom 2x7mtr £400 (approx) easter sale normally £550

Witchhat Morgana £500 (approx) Easter sale normally £675

Grahams 3 head Hydra about £180 powers ND5XS2, 300PS and 552PS

The Wave cables brought the biggest impact (not just my wallet) I’ve ever heard over any cable!!

WitchHat Phantom 4mtr pair between a Nait2 and SBLs £280

No fancy ethernet leads

2 Likes

Going to order some cables for a friend, he’s running a Rega amp.

Klotz, Mogami or Van Damme will be decided.
Even long length 2x6-7 mtr, nothing higher than €100/pair :sunglasses:

£250 NAC A5
£65 Atlas Element interconnect

I have a big tangle of cheap interconnects, all sounding different, before settling on the Atlas, Cost of system £12,000.

1 Like

About £8k replacing the standard Naim interconnections with Sarum T, the expenditure justified with exquisite musical realism. Would not like to be without them now.

£350 on 2 x 5m of Kudos KS-1 = Bargain priced speaker cable of the Century!

Nothing spent on power cables (yet) and ran out of budget, maybe won’t need them anyway very soon, afraid to plug them in with the extortionate cost of energy :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Just wondering but have you upgraded your Radikal with the new Karousel?
(Very highly recommended!) :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

…or forgot to update your profile?

1 Like

Must have been a prophesy for me my interconnects and speaker cables come to 3.33% of my system total. :rofl:
3 x Linn Silver RCA
2 x Kudos KS-1
I must say the KS-1 must have Tardis Physicality as I don’t believe the trick they play for the size. :flushed:

1 Like

About £50 for the linn k20 plus the ones that came in the box.

2 Likes

That’s the way to do it!

1 Like

Agree.

G

1 Like