How Much Have You Invested In Cables

Electronics are not so important, they are just things that connect the cables!

7 Likes

You measured your speaker cables down to a fifth of a mm? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

And here, ks1 is an absolute steal given what it does in both my systems, which are very different in their components and environment.

1 Like

And another here, KS-1 has trounced a few cables at many multiples of the price Iā€™ve demoed recently.

3 Likes

In the US we measure in feet and inches vs meters and centimeters. So when I was buying my first Naim system the dealer had a pair of 14 foot long NACA5 cables that he had used at a trade show and offered them at a great price.

When posting on the forum I just run a conversion calculator from feet to meters as a convince for others. I often use the calculator when reading through responses from others on the forum when the discussion/response uses meters/centimeters with cables, speaker placement or other subject matter.

5 Likes

I think (hope) @Svetty was pulling your leg :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I have two RCA interconnects made by myself using RG316 cable and two 2 mt. runs of a speaker cable suggested to me by a former member of this forum, the Chord Campana. The whole must have costed me about ā‚¬10. Those who pity my hearing can serenely sail their five-figures cables on the sea; I know I am ok with what I have.
:slight_smile:
H.

2 Likes

My expenditure (definitely not investment) on cables is minimal. Whilst good quality wire, plugs and joints are essential, and any technical requirements must be complied with (e.g. min/max capacitance or inductance of a speaker cable, shielding of low level signal cables, etc), I consider anything more than maybe 1% or so of the value of the items being connected as ridiculous.

1 Like

Smilies added to my post to emphasise this!:grinning:

2 Likes

Debs

No havenā€™t done it yet, I plan to make the trip up to Leicestershire before the end of the year and get the Karousel, Klimax upgrade and a Music tonearm cable

Lyndon

1 Like

With those two seriously fab upgrades in one hit youā€™ll just have to take my word that the Karousel is obviously better than the cirkus, your DBLs are going to love it.

2 Likes

Not sure what Iā€™ve spent over the last 25 years of Naim ownership. Probably more than I shouldā€™ve but not as ridiculous as some. Cable markets seem to attract the scammers and the believers it seems.

3 Likes

Debs

Actually 3 upgrades and by far the most costly is the tonearm cable
The Dibbles seem to enjoy everything chucked at them

Lyndon

1 Like

Hi

Tellurium Q ultra black speaker cables
Chord Epic phono to nac 282
Morgana between Nap250 Nac282 and 2x Hi cap
Audioquest & Entreq power between Niagara 3000 and the above

Total invested about 6/7k sounds a lot but not all at once

Does this all make a difference ask myself?

Certainly the speaker cables and Morgana. The rest collectively yes.

But subjectively is hard to know without a lot of testing

2 Likes

Yes, pretty frightening here when totted up. I have SL and HiLine interconnects for digital, Chord Sarum T for analogue and SL DIN/XLR pair to NAP500, plus 5x PowerLines, Mogami and Kudos KS-1 speaker cables, Various Ethernet cables, mostly Blue Jeans now.
Total= Somewhere around 9-10k price to me. Itā€™s a fair whackā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve just managed to cheer myself up somewhat, as that total represents replacement cost at todayā€™s prices, rather than my actual outlay over a period of several years.

Whew ā€¦ ā€¦ ā€¦ still a load of wonga, though. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I feel a lot better about my ā€˜investmentsā€™. Love this topicā€¦ :blush:

Sheer and utter madness, proudly on show in this thread.

Many severe, sad cases of infinitely more money than sense.

I think Iā€™d go for ā€˜squanderedā€™ rather than ā€˜investedā€™ in the thread title.

Dear gods above!

8 Likes

We aim to please.

9 Likes

Come on, @graham55, this discussionā€™s never going to go anywhere if you couch everything in diplomatic euphemisms. Just give us your honest opinion without worrying about what anyone will think.

7 Likes