How old is your Vinyl

Still got the RAK LP of CCS’s first album in my collection. Another Mickie Most production !

1 Like

My first RAK vinyl was a Suzi Quattro 7" I think - 48 Crash probably. I was maybe 7.

3 Likes

Oldest, 10 inch, Winifred Atwell - Selection from 1952

First bought, Dave Dee etc - If Music Be The Food Of Love from 1967

My two oldest records. I have some older 78’s but nothing to play them on at the mo.

1 Like

Little dog spinning to Glen Miller now.

1 Like

Savoy 10” LPs by Fats Navarro and Stan Getz from 1951 are my oldest, I think.

First album I bought was The Twain shall Meet by Eric Burdon and the Animals way back in 1968 and just been listening to Sky Pilot on it today

1 Like

My first “proper” lp. 2nd pressing late 69 early 70. Still sounds good having been played on numerous turntables starting with a BSRMP60, through B & O 1202, Philips GA212, Dual 502, LP12 and now P8 Apheta 3.

2 Likes

Not counting my parents 78s and early LPs:

My very first “vinyl” was Mason Williams’ Classical Gas, 1968. still have it.

First LP was Beach Boys Greatest Hits, bought 1970. played on everything from a rotary chisel to a Sondek/Zeta/AT-OC5

It is best described as knackered!

5 Likes

If I search hard enough there is a 45 of Rock around the Clock by Bill Haley. From memory the B side was called Hook, line and sinker. The things we listened to!

My first album was “Great War movie themes” by Geoff Love and his orchestra. Purchased when I was about ten, so around 40 years ago !
Still love soundtracks. Played it recently on the old stylus, not mofi quality but still sounds ok.

Edit: make that 45 years ago, think I’m in denial !

3 Likes

Loads of albums Free, Cream etc from the 70s, still sound great, in fact better than most modern pressings.

Regards,

Lindsay

Nothing newer than 30 years old, except for the In Rainbows 45rpm box-set, which has never been played.*

• I don’t have a turntable in use, just one packed in the basement that’s the wrong voltage

I have a very early Abbey Road. It’s actually mono, IIRC. Sadly it has a scratch that skips a groove. Presumably that could be repaired by someone with a microscope and steady hand. But it hasn’t been played in 25 or 30 years.

1 Like

I’m not sure AR was ever mixed in mono. Someone may correct me.

From The Beatles In Mono on Wikipedia

Yes, I may not recall correctly. I’d have to go and look. On recollection, my suspicion may have been that as it was missing the “stereo” badge on the top-right it may have been mono. Not sure I ever really checked.

I just thought it was a little late to be in mono, especially as it was the last album they made

Yeah. My memory is seemingly failing.

The great thing about this forum is that 90% of people think Let It Be is the last album.