How old is your Vinyl

All of my 70s albums were binned years ago. We inherited my grandparents’ 50s radiogram when they invested in a 70s radiogram, and the 50s version we had required 1 and then 2 coins to keep the needle in place so every record we had was unplayable by the time I was buying half decent kit in the early 80s. Then the CD was launched.

The first record I bought was Helen Wheels by Wings, and then Queen’s Shear Heart Attack on 12”.

So what you’re saying is that 90% of people here are thick and you’re part of the 10% clever dicks- and I mean that in the nicest possible way! :sunglasses:

No I am saying that 90% of the people on this form know more about music than most

The oldest 12" I own is the Columbia’s very first Long Playing 12" record ML4001
Released in 1948.

Excerpt from Wiki.

Columbia Records unveiled the LP at a press conference in the Waldorf Astoria on June 18, 1948, in two formats: 10 inches (25 cm) in diameter, matching that of 78 rpm singles, and 12 inches (30 cm) in diameter. According to the 1949 Columbia catalog, issued September 1948, the first 12-inch LP was Mendelssohn’s Concerto in E Minor by Nathan Milstein on the violin with the New York Philharmonic, conducted by Bruno Walter (ML 4001).

3 Likes

Still got every album I ever purchased. First one was The Slider by T.Rex which I got in 1972 for £1.75 at the Record Room in St. Albans. Still very playable, I shudder when I think back to what it was played on from a Dansette, a phono book, Rigonda system which was BSR deck right up to my current Linn LP12. Some other gems I remember buying and brining home on my bicycle - DSOTM, Night after night - Nils Lofgren, Moonflower - Santana, Band on the Run - Wings, Tales from topographic oceans - Yes. Still have them all and they have been to Canada and back as well!

Al my 45’s were given away when I emigrated to Canada in 2005.

Tim

2 Likes

Same here Timbo. I remember walking into ‘Green’s records’ in Tamworth, Staffs (long gone sadly) to buy Def Leppard’s first album "On Through The Night’. Apart from crackles sounds great listening to it now. From 1980 brings many good memories, which is what this hobby is all about for me.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.