How to give a bit of more energy to the music in naim setup

Thanks Richard, do you think recent nac a5 are the same of 10 years ago or did they change? I saw big changes in time in naim boxes, despite being the same model the design changed and also some features, is it the same with cables? Thanks

AFAIK NACA5 has remained unchanged. Only thing I would want to do with an older set though would be to check the soldering and check for any strand breaks. To be safe I’d probably chop off the old connectors and solder on some new Naim SA8 speaker connectors.

3 Likes

Fully agree with what you say. Get a better psu, possibly 555 will be my first priority next year. Last year I moved from nd5xs + SN2 to 282, 250dr and nds, so I have to stand still for a while… I don’t want to change my wife too… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My main source is NDS, node is just a toy to experiment new things going around :smile:

2 Likes

I also have a 282/250 DR combo.

To add “presence” add a Naim Power-Line mains cable to the Hi-Cap DR or the NDS (or both).

Also, adding a second Hi-Cap DR or a SuperCap DR to the 282 will add a boost.

Finally, if any of your boxes are over 15 years old, they may require servicing to bring them back to life.

1 Like
1 Like

I have one on the 250 dr, I will try to move it! Thanks

1 Like

All boxes are max from 2016, 250 dr is from2020, should not be recapped yet, thx anyway

1 Like

Dedicated AC line… and I’ve never heard of: Airtech Air Alfa power cables and power distributors. You might consider Shunyata Research A number of folks have tried their products and been shocked how much more their systems came alive

1 Like

Are you cloud streaming or local? Both? 555 should definitely be a priority. If you’re local streaming make sure you’re transcoding to wav and if you’re cloud streaming consider one of the workarounds (ie install bubblesoft on your NAS) so you can stream lossless from Tidal/Qobuz. Otherwise I’d consider going back to Naim cables, lavender IC and NACA5. The cryo treated NACA5 is really good if you can find it.

Mostly local. I have lavender interconnect and also some black interconnect, I will try !

@Gruido71 : Your speakers are under powered. A 300Dr would be better but wont address your core problem.

Having found myself with a similar predicament, the best bang for the buck has been getting a nice REL sub (the T/5x in my case).

Forget about “subs give you more bass”. Augmenting your system with a properly dialed in REL will add texture and coherence to everything, from highs to voices to low end. It will energize your music and make you smile again.

1 Like

Nobody wrote about an audiophile switch. Was transforming for my Nds. More authority, prat, involvement….nicer tones.
Uptone Etheregen would be my advice.

1 Like

Do you have any room treatment? It’s easy to get lost and spend a lot of money randomly chasing changes in the hope they might solve a problem. Consider measuring your room first, that can be done for very little outlay. You might find that the mids and highs are already there, just not revealing themselves due to a lack of low frequency control.

Airtech is a cable company of the audio analogue owner, Italian brand of hi fi. Anyhow I heard shunyata are good

My issue is on medium high, bass is well present. I need a bit of sparkle

Aside from @Ardbeg10y’s pertinent suggestion, if you want proportionately more of some parts of the spectrum (upper mid, high?) for some music but not others you need an adjustable control - you can get DSP devices that can do that - or of course a graphic equaliser as beloved of some mid-fi systems of the 80s, though that may be more likely to have audibly degrade the sound. Anything else that changes for some music will also change for other music, unless you swap over between different music listening.

Otherwise for better sound (due to better control), especially at higher sound levels, a more capable amp than the 250 would very likely make a very noticeable difference. Based on my experience with other PMC speakers I think that in the Naim stable a 300 would be far better, or likely much better still the new 350, though likely only available new for some time yet. There are of course other power amps often paired with PMC speakers.

I really have to thank you. I move powerline from 250 to hicap and reproduction improved. Moreover the 250 and hicap were humming a bit, now they are quite as baby sleeping… I also took off the DC blocker I had on 250. amazing. little moves make big changes. thanks to you and all the forumers for their suggestions, this forum is a big support

4 Likes

All already said here.
555PS will give some power, but I think the NDS signature will be permanent.
I have compared ND555/555PSDR with ND5XS2/nDAC/XPs with ND5XS2/nDAC/555PSDR
Fully agree with @ChrisSU - nDAC has a lot of punch! But it is punch with less definition. I think you might miss the NDS :slight_smile:
Try Lavender and try 555P on NDS !

1 Like

I will try lavender, going back to basics might help :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like