How to sell vinyl and CD collection?

JImdog,

I don’t know if you have ripped your CDs to a local NAS (or other local store) or whether you just use external streaming services - just remember that from a strictly legal perspective you cannot sell (or give away) CDs that you continue to hold in your local music store.

No such problems with LPs of course.

I’ve sold 100’s of LP’s on eBay over the years and have had only one problem with an LP that went missing. My main advice is to be very conservative when grading your records Mint = unopened, unplayed
Nr M = opened but UNPLAYED
If you consider your played LP’s to be Mint condition be conservative and grade VG+.

2 Likes

Are you too young to remember LP sleeves with ‘home taping is killing music’ printed on them? Back in the day, I tried pretty hard, but music seems to me to be very much alive today.

1 Like

Is that the case that LPs are different from CDs from the legal point of view if you rip and then dispose? I would have thought both the same, though I have never looked into.

May I ask approximately how much per LP you were given?

If anyone is still interested in options for selling Vinyl/CD’s I sold about 700 records on eBay last year, mainly abroad (I live in the UK and the value of the pound is low so my prices seem better) and got back about £40k. I listed them all for high prices, higher than other sellers. I still sold them. What I did do that most other sellers cant be bothered to do, is photograph them fully, using ALL 12 picture slots. Record grade the sleeve and record individually using Gold Mine standards. In the end I listed almost everything as NM anyway but still! Stated that everything had been listened to prior to sale and that any surface scratches did not affect sound quality etc.

The BIG thing to remember is that most of the vinyl sold goes to collectors. It will mostly not be listened to. Out of the 700+ records sold I had 1 complaint and that was for a sealed record that did not play! EBay just refunded the buyer and I kept the money also. EBay are very fair in my experience.

Do not underestimate what people will play for records. Photograph key details like the matrix and state the fact the record is very rare. This is true for everything that is no longer in print.

I have been selling off CD’s that no longer interest me. Music Magpie offers 1-2p and I sell them between £3-15 each. I don’t look at prices, I just list them and eventually everything sells!

3 Likes

Wow! I’m envious! I only made probably between £1k and £2k from my 300 or so. Perhaps I was wrong to start mine as low as I did, though my eBay experience is that starting too high often gets less than starting midway to what you think you might get. However, the sleeves of mine had very visible signs of the good use they’d had, and there were very few I would have dared describe as mint. Perhaps I should have dared more!

1 Like

I quite agree. One chap said the album was mint even though I’d graded it as VG. And of course I received nice feedback :blush:

Keep then. I’ve thousands of cd’s which will survive the apocalypse.

G

i am very glad to keep my lps. Today my rega rp8 / delos sounds on the same level as my 3 times more expensive digital rig. I am even wondering on an turntable upgrade vs a better streamer…

Were your LPs mostly by very popular and well-known bands, which you bought as soon as they were released, and then you kept the vinyl and sleeves very clean and tidy?

How does anyone put a stiffener in the record pack to stop it getting bent in the post?
What type of material?

Jimdog, the best way to send LPs in the mail is to remove the inner and LP from the outer sleeve then place all into a poly outer or a “Blake” outer sleeve - removing the inner and LP from the outer sleeve prevents the LP from punching through the centres of the outer sleeve edges.

Then place within a cardboard cruciform or similar type of LP mailer making sure it is sandwiched between two square cardboard stiffeners. Many cardboard cruciforms allow you to fit between one and maybe up to 6 LPs in a single package.

2 Likes

Hi frenchrooster, how did you sell your records? Do you know of any shops in France that take them?

yes Sam, in Paris you have some that take them at relatively good cost.
For music from the 70´s, jazz, soul funk, pop, you have: Paris jazz corner, Crocodisc, and Superfly records ( soul/ funk and some pop/ good prices for selling).
For classical music, you have : la Dame Blanche disquaire.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Steve, just curious - did you ask the buyer to pay for postage or did you include the shipping costs in the Buy It Now listing price you asked?

I almost always charge shipping on top. I started at about £30 for international but came down to about £12.99 in the end once I had a good handle on the actual costs. UK people are happy to pay £4.99 it seems.

1 Like

Thanks for the extra detail Steve. The info on this thread has been very useful.

Moderated Post: Yetizone I’ve edited your post so that it complies with forum rules.

Richard, that editing is a little draconian, don’t you think? No links posted or for any intention to advertise.