How tu upgrade from Naim Supernait 2 + Hi-Cap

If you search this forum, you will find a wide variety of opinions on this. You will never know who to believe unless you listen for yourself.

I know this question is not for me but one (1) Hicap DR is more than adequate with the 282.

1 Like

I will absolutely do it!

How do you see the Naim Frame lite?

The most balanced is one, even better balanced than with a supercap. But only opinion and taste…

1 Like

Many say that the 282 was born with two separate power supply lines and that it needs two HiCaps to work best.

However this is another matter … :slight_smile:

Not many Aristoweb, only some.

An excellent choice.

I’m not familiar with the Achtung. I really stumbled into the SL interconnect. I was going to order a new Hiline when a second hand SL became available, so I went with that. The improvement was astonishing to be honest, as much as adding the XPS DR to the NDX2. There are other options that many here use successfully. I prefer to stay with Naim as I think they provide some good frequency synergy, like it does with the Powerlines.

I went to a 282/ 250DR from a SN2 and 250DR. It was one of the biggest jumps in quality I have experienced in my system, presumably because the pre-amp was so much more revealing. Having said that, the SN2 was no slouch, but I really appreciated the increase in clarity and bass control that the 282 brought to my speakers (Dynaudio Contour 1.4LE). One of those “Wow!” moments. The 282 controls the 250DR much better I found and is much more revealing. The next huge improvement was going SL full-loom, but that is another story…

The electronics in the pre-amp can’t improve on what isn’t delivered from the streamer via the interconnect though. This is where the standard approach of box upgrades is limiting. Yes, a better pre-amp has the potential to perform better, but the signal has to be delivered. Without a better interconnect, this is the limiting link in the system, not the pre-amp. Using a SL on the SN2 will demonstrate this.

6 Likes

@aristoweb

Congratulations on your decision and look forward to hearing about the system once you have everything in place!

Could you comment on your experience with the ProAc D48 with your SN2 and HiCapDR?

Thanks…

the financial outlay is quite steep too

from a bare SN2

add hiCap DR = GBP 1400
add NAC 282 = GBD 4500
add NAP 250 = GBP 3500
reduce revenue due to SN2 sale = - GBP 1500

so the overall outlay is GBP 7900

and an increase in box count by 2

and for that sort of overall outlay - the NAC 282 + NAP 250 DR had better be really good.

GBP 7900 might not seem a lot to many but it is steep money indeed.

For GBP 7900 or less - what alternative options could you look at to improve the sound in your room ??

The NAC 282 pre amp - can do only so much and much escapes the listener is the room is not treated.

The proac D48R doesnt need too much power as well.

Just a thought…but…YMMV…

regards

2 Likes

Congrats, as much as I love my SN2, I am sure 282/250 will be better in every way, it should be. An interesting comparison would be between both power amps, the one in SN2 and the 250, fed by 282.

What alternative path could I take to improve the sound from my current SN2 + Hi-Cap DR + Proac D48R + NDS system?

I found the best combination in adding 282 + 250DR.

Is there a better alternative to improve the sound while keeping the cost down?

Actually I should also add Superlumina between NDS and 282.

It is probably also a second Hi-Cap DR at 282.

Future upgrades would add 252, Supercap DR, NAP 300, Superlumina for the speakers and a Superlumina also between my Cambridge CXC CD reading mechanics and the NDS.

And maybe change the reading mechanics of the CD and take a single piece to read CD and SACD (the SACD output should have HDMI output to convert the output to digital and feed it to NDS).

I borrowed my dealer’s demo SL interconnect and tried it between my NDX and 282, and to my ears it did very little, and certainly not enough to justify the price. Other people’s findings are different, which is fine, but I would never spend that amount on a cable without a home demo.

1 Like

Mike, you can argue, it’s fine. However if you listen and compare what a 282/250 can bring vs SN2, I think it will jump at you. I just heard these different electronics at home and dealer price .
202/200 vs SN2 is not a big difference, but clear enough.
You will hear the difference with an nd5xs old streamer as well as your source.
Unfortunately there is always better and the preamp is probably the most important component.

Once you have entered the world of true Hi-Fi you want to go deeper and deeper into this world which gives pleasures and emotions unknown to others and which you cannot do without.

Surely real music with a real Hi-Fi system is a positive drug that improves life.

Those who listen to music in a “flat” way with low quality systems, take advantage of only a small part of the pleasure, listening only to a minimal three-dimensionality, depth and sound scene, as well as few details.

I had started with a Nait 5si, a Naim CD5Si player and a pair of Sonus Faber Liuto speakers and I discovered the “real” pleasure of music.

So I went deeper and deeper.

I purchased a Supernait 2 and a Naim DAC which gave me beautiful pleasures.

But you don’t get used to pleasure and if you can go further and enjoy even more why not do it?

So I bought a Naim NDS and Proac Response DR48 ribbons.

This set of electronics greatly increased my pleasure compared to the previous configuration.

With Proac, more revealing and open speakers, and NDS music has become more silky, more refined, greater sound scene and absolute enjoyment.

Surely therefore the transition to Proac and NDS was a leap forward in listening to music, great upgrade.

Now I am in the process of ordering Naim 282, Naim 250DR and probably the Supercap DR and selling Hi-Cap DR.

The next future step will probably be Naim 252, perhaps Naim 300 and a future change of speakers with something even better, in addition to Naim Superlumina cables.

It is an expensive pleasure but too good to give it up in our only life available, if it can be done.

4 Likes

Yes you are :grinning:

1 Like

I wouldn’t argue with my French sweetie :heart_eyes:. We’re just agreeing that as you go up the range, things improve. It’s just a question of what order to make changes in. I’m just saying that at the SN2 level, the amp is good enough to show the benefits of source and cable improvements, and they carry forward with the box upgrades.

3 Likes

Thanks. I got 282/HCDR250Dr

I wonder what’s there at 252/250, 252/300 and 552/500 but I’m happy with what I got.

It’s good to know you think 282/250HC is the sweet spot.

1 Like