How tu upgrade from Naim Supernait 2 + Hi-Cap

Having done various upgrades, including power amps, power supplies and cables, I’d suggest that fancy wires can never do what the black boxes can do. Get the cake right and worry about the icing later.

2 Likes

Having a SN2 and HiCAP, my point is that, adding SL will significantly improve the OPs system without a box upgrade and will get more out of the boxes he has and those benefits will be transferred to a separates upgrade if they go that way. IMHO upgrading boxes before getting the most of what you have is not the best route to go.

2 Likes

It all depends on where you want to end up.

1 Like

Yes, to a degree. But it begs the question as to which sounds better as well. A 272/250 or NDX2/SN2 both with PS on a full loom SL versus the 282/250 with stock IC and speaker cables. And for which ever box configuration, the SL full loom is transformational, so it’s a good option to do that first anyway.

3 Likes

For the signal cables I use the cables supplied by Naim.

To connect my Proac Response D48 ribbon I use Naim’s NacaA5 of 6 meters each.

1 Like

If you can borrow a Hiline or Superlumina interconnect from your dealer for the NDS to SN2, you may be surprised what is still left in that SN2 to shine :sunglasses:

I also added SL speaker cables recently, and it is a seriously god upgrade, more than icing on the cake. 6m lengths are expensive though, but less than a new black box.

Just another approach that is often overlooked.

2 Likes

Mike, I believe you that the Superlumina enhanced your system. However, even with stock full loom cables, 282/ 250 will be better than SN2/ hicap / Superlumina full loom. The difference between both electronics are too important to be compensated by cables.
Between 282/250/ Superlumina and 252/300/ stock cables, the difference is less important.

1 Like

That’s interesting, have you had the opportunity to compare - that wouldn’t be possible here. I’m not looking at changing, but always interested to hear of other people’s experience and views.

Where do you see the sweet spot in the range: 282/250 or 252/300 - big price difference. Maybe an impossible question?

I had 112/150, 202/ 200, flatcap, hicap, 282/250, 252/250, ear 912/ 300dr, and ear 912/ 250 dr.
And my dealer is selling Naim and is located in the same town as me.
So yes.

1 Like

The sweet pot was for me 282/ hicap / 250/ cdx2/ xps2. I could have lived only with that. The best Naim for the price !

2 Likes

Aristoweb with the 282/250/NDS, naim inter connects and A5 speaker cable , you have and absolutely superb system. The only thing now for complete audio nirvana it to ensure each naim box is on a separate shelf. The naim Fraim is the gold standard but there are plenty of other HiFi shelf options. Well done on your choice.

2 Likes

For connect NDS to Supernait 2 I use Achtung Audio Din cable (green).

Could I have improvements by switching to Naim Hi-Line or Superlumina?

I’m with Mike here although I noticed you have decided on the 282 and 250DR. Good choice. However, do look at the speaker cables in the near future if you have the urge of replacing something in the system, or if you aren’t entirely happy with the sound quality. In my experience the standard Naim cables can be improved, and the result can be quite rewarding. Superlumina is a good place to start but there are alternatives as well.

1 Like

Did you use one or two HiCaps to power the 282?

If you search this forum, you will find a wide variety of opinions on this. You will never know who to believe unless you listen for yourself.

I know this question is not for me but one (1) Hicap DR is more than adequate with the 282.

1 Like

I will absolutely do it!

How do you see the Naim Frame lite?

The most balanced is one, even better balanced than with a supercap. But only opinion and taste…

1 Like

Many say that the 282 was born with two separate power supply lines and that it needs two HiCaps to work best.

However this is another matter … :slight_smile:

Not many Aristoweb, only some.