How tu upgrade from Naim Supernait 2 + Hi-Cap

Don’t even think of fancy wires until you have a proper Naim 555PSDR. For a system like this you need a really good support. That support is not Blok. Quadraspire SVT, Isoblue and of course Naim’s own offerings all work well. With the NDS you really should be looking at full Fraim.

1 Like

Hi aristoweb,
Understood and agreed, especially given the highly capable speakers that you own.
I think you would be wise to pause for now at 282/Hicap/250DR, rather than go for the 282/Supercap DR/250DR, as I suspect that you will benefit more from spending the money on the NDS power supply than from a Supercap DR at this stage.

Best regards, BF

I would go for a second hand Fraimlite, 2X 4 shelves. The Blok Stax seems nice but not effective enough.

Yes currently I have two box PHN1.1 (Israel) pending future possible upgrade.

Yes, in fact, I had decided to use a large Blok Stax rack and a smaller one next to it of the same brand, in total I would have 11 possible compartments.

As a CD mechanic I have a Cambridge Audio CXC connected to NDS.

As a turntable I have an Audiotecnica with a dedicated turntable head.

Your advice to put the power supplies and the amplifier on the right and NAPSC on the floor were very appreciated, thank you!

I suspect the non naim power supply is changing the sound

It’s a different sound, but not the one you get with a real naim PSU

Nice phono stage! I would like to hear one of these one day.

If you have thew room, then I recommend 2 racks, one for brain and one for brawn. Depending on budget, Naim, Hutter, Quadraspire and Isoblue are all good makes.

Best regards, BF

I have already started to think to buy a 555 PS DR

Do you know if purchasing 282 / 250DR / Supercap / 555 DR I will need to purchase additional cables for connection to NDS?

In addition to the makes already named, you might like to look at Simrak, designed by Simon Price furniture. As we can’t fit Fraim into the available space, we are seriously considering Simrak as an upgrade to our Quadraspire Q4.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Yes, burndys for nds and 555 dr connecting. Around 1k.

Simrak in oak.

6 Likes

I have very recent experience that agrees with @Analogmusic. I went from a non Naim PS to an XPSDR, there was an immediate, noticable improvement.

1 Like

I already have a burndy cable now that I use to connect the Israeli power supply to my NDS.

Will I need to buy another identical burndy or is it a different cable?

Even if I buy 555 DR PS?

Isn’t there a cable supplied?

No Burndy supplied with 555PSDR

Probably but I am not sure. The burndy is a Naim one or israeli one?
@Richard.Dane should respond you.

Israeli one.

So I must to buy a normal addiotonal Naim Burndy for complete the connection to NDS with the new 555 DR ?

Thank you Svetty!

1 Like

I can’t respond to you because I don’t know. Perhaps it will work, but it will work safety ? I don’t know.

Aristoweb, please respect forum rules. Discussion of unauthorised modifications to Naim equipment (which includes non-Naim power supplies, fake SNAICs and Burndy cables) is not allowed. Do not use a non-Naim Burndy on a Naim power supply. Doing so will probably void any warranty and at best not give you the performance Naim intended, and at worst, may well damage the connected equipment.

I’m just asking what types of Burndy cables should I use between Naim NDS and Naim 555PS.

I have seen in the NDS manual that two types of cables “Burndy 555A” and “Burndy 555D” are written and I want to understand which cables I need to buy.

You got it wrong: I don’t want to buy any fake or other brand Burndy or Snaic cables.

1 Like