HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

As always, plenty of opinions around. Kuzma:

Latest tips: 160928:
After extensive use of ultrasonic cleaners we concluded that specially designed washing additives provided by manufacturers are not good for cleaning records. Records sounded much more noisier and maybe even better, but only after wash with distilled water the noise floor was lowered again. So more testing should be done-but do last rinse with suggested liqud by us.

In the end, it’s entirely subjective what one believes to be best. Nobody has done anything resembling serious testing, and it’s a difficult thing to do (how would you even compare the same record washed differently …). So the less poison the better :slight_smile:

I agree

@JosquinDesPrez uses the Degritter. I wonder if he adds a cleaning fluid to it or not.

The Degritter comes with one, which according to the prescription is also made of anionic surfactants, like all the others. On the website they are not saying if it’s a poison bomb like Triton or the same as dishwasher rinse aid

I don’t yet if I will use a fluid, but think more not using one.

It’s easy to try whether it makes a difference, and as long as it’s not environmentally bad, why not. I’ll probably also be too curious and try at least with a bit of alcohol and dishwasher rinse aid, but I’d prefer if it makes no significant difference :slight_smile:

Old review of surfactants

I think it’s important to add the Paul Rigby’s subsequent comments re Triton X-100 with regard to this video:

I was recently alerted (10/3/21) by a kindly contributor in the Comments section of my Website that Triton X-100 has now been banned for use in Europe. Hence I now do not recommend Triton X-100 for use in vinyl cleaning. There is talk of a replacement being tagged as a safe alternative. Something called Nereid, which is a cousin of Triton X-100 but without the bad stuff, basically. I’ll keep an eye on this contender because it’s still in the testing stage, so I hear. When I can, I’ll give it a test. You can find more information here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triton_X-100 Here’s a précis of the Triton X-100 issue: “A Triton X-100 degradation product has indeed turned out to be ecotoxic as it possesses hormone-like (estrogeno-mimetic) activity that may act on wildlife.[12] The ECHA finally included the substance group in the Authorisation List (Annex XIV),[13] mandating the pharmaceutical and other industries to replace this detergent by the “sunset date” January 4, 2021, thereby affecting EU manufacturers, importers, and downstream users, as well as non-European manufacturers exporting their products into the EU.”

2 Likes

I don’t use a Degritter and never have. I use an Audio Desk for day-to-day routine cleaning, and I have a Kirmuss for records that need deeper cleanings. In both cases I use the recommended fluids, although I am almost out of the Kirmuss surfactant and bought a tube of TergiKleen (a Tergitol-based surfactant) to try out.

2 Likes

Ok, not accurate memory :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. But the Audio Desk is an ultrasonic machine. So like the Degritter or Humming guru. So you use a cleaning fluid with the ultrasonic, my question.

Yes, I use the recommended cleaning fluids with both. In both cases the cleaning fluids also have an anti-static surfactant basis. For the Kirmuss, one also mixes in 40ml of 70% isopropyl alchohol (as a degreaser) with two gallons of distilled water. The surfactant is brushed directly onto the record.

I still have my old Okki-Nokki RCM. For that I had a three-step cleaning solution, followed by water rinse.

1 Like

Tried the Degritter cleaning fluid with Humminguru. I should have used 0.7ml but accidentally used 1ml. Plan to use the same water for about 5 record cleans. Compared to the previous Triton x100 surfactant clean, the Degritter solution also improved mid range and higher frequency information retrieval.

Some news @Suedkiez ? Still working well? Did you tried some additional fluids?
In 1 month I will order mine.
Since today, November 18, everybody can order on the site.

Interesting, Do you run it through another clean cycle with pure water or does it not matter!

Not yet, have been occupied with the speakers. I did order Ilfotol though, this thread made me do it :joy:

And I did receive a letter from FedEx with customs payment. It was 67 euros per unit. It’s still a bargain though

1 Like

All my records have been cleaned already with a wet cleaning method but Humminguru provides a deeper clean, which impresses me. I would recommend a first clean using wet clean if the LP is very dirty before using the Humminguru.

£56 for the UK for shipping and customs

1 Like

Shipping was included in the Kickstarter pledge, at least it was for me. The 67 euros was just import duties/taxes

There’s a review of the Degritter, in Hifi Advice site.
The reviewer writes on the Degritter fluid:

“ Every Degritter machine comes with a bottle of 40ml cleaning fluid concentrate. It’s not mandatory to use it, but it does have certain benefits. The concentrate is made out of anionic surfactants which help remove the dirt. It’s safe to use and won’t harm the vinyl. The recommended dosage is 1 to 2 ml of concentrate per water tank. This creates a solution where the surface tension is lowered enough to allow ultrasonic energy to break the water more easily while anionic molecules are delicately extracting the dirt from adjacent surfaces.

Here’s what the cleaning fluid can do:

• Further improves the cleaning effect
  • Shortens the drying time
  • Creates an antistatic layer”

My point was that if your using chemicals in the HumninGuru then this will leave residue on the record, so was just checking if you run it through a second cycle with pure water? Also off course it will void the warranty as they are not recommending any.

Looking forward to mine when it eventually arrives…

Sorry misunderstood. I used to clean in pure distilled water for wet cleaning but had not considered it for Humminguru. To be honest at £270 without shipping I’m not to bothered about the warranty :slight_smile: backing a kickstarter is a risk in any case.