HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

Just heard my HummingGuru has shipped. Exciting.

1 Like

Can you share some instances where the Kirmuss improved on a 5 beep AD cleaning? I have been considering using them together as well, but worry Iā€™ll get to ADD about a clean goat hair brush;). The AD took that away and performance has been stellar save 2 failures in 12 years.

just ordered mine.
In someways itā€™s a gamble but I donā€™t have anything at the moment and seems to be a very good price.

I got mine last week and was washing the first 20 records. I am absolutely content with it. Good value for the money.

Thanks @Suedkiez for all your help!

2 Likes

I have now experimented with fluids. It is difficult to compare because I donā€™t have the same records twice. So I had to play one, then clean it (which I canā€™t do twice with different fluids either) and then try to compare. But for what itā€™s worth I did my best with several records.

They were all in good condition, more or less new and played once or twice, and had already been cleaned with my previous ultrasonic bath (using distilled water, some isopropyl alcohol, and a drop of dishwasher agent).

Now I listened and cleaned each as follows:

1. Listened to record.
  2. Cleaned with HumminGuru and only distilled water
  3. Listened to record
  4. Cleaned with HumminGuru using a liquid from 400 ml distilled water, 10 ml isopropyl alcohol, and 2 drops of Ilfotol. Then another quick clean to rinse with distilled water
  5. Listened again

I thought that the difference was on the small side and with the work and time passing between runs it is difficult to be sure. Nevertheless, it seemed to me that after the second cleaning cycle the background noise was indeed further reduced and the sound simply better & more immediate & more natural.

Given the limited means of comparison I cannot tell you whether this was simply caused by having more cleaning cycles, by the liquid, or by expectation bias (the work must be worth something!). However, using the liquid was not a very annoying process* and I think I will stick with using the liquid with alcohol & Ilfotol for the time being.

* I purchased a pipette for mixing the liquid, and a funnel and two bottles to store it (one bottle liquid, one bottle rinsing water) if I just wash a record or two. Thatā€™s quite handy

2 Likes

A few tips Iā€™ve picked up which do seem to work

• warm distilled water to 25 degrees centigrade before use
  • degas with the 2 minute cleaning option
  • use the G-Sonic fluid as the cleaning and wetting agent
1 Like

Spare parts now available at the Humminguru online shop.

All Humminguru accessories now in stock but order before 20th January to avoid Chinese New Year break

To not close the thread, as no new post since January, I post a new information and a question.
Humming guru is launching a new product, with a pre-order, a product that cleans the stylus.
Are you tempted @Suedkiez ? Have you seen it ?

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Itā€™s a smart thing with the built-in gauge (though the visible gauge pad and the weight may indicate that itā€™s essentially the 5 euro gauge from Amazon that you also have). Ultrasonic stylus cleaning sounds interesting, but for me, personally, it is not as much of a game changer as the RCM was. I already have the (expensive) Rega Atlas gauge and the DS Audio ST-50 cleaner, which seems to work well. Iā€™ll keep an eye on this but waiting for more info.

2 Likes

I have a Zomba gel for the stylus and a Lyra stylus clean fluid too. So I think itā€™s also enough for me.
But ultra sonic cleaner for the stylus seems interesting.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious as to what the price will be.

The Kickstarter has begun, 70 EUR or so
@frenchrooster

1 Like

I wanted first to buy the Humming guru. But have to wait next or second next month. I invested in a high end e cigarette box from Pipeline Pro, as the one I had canā€™t work anymore because the batteries are not made anymore.
I like to vape when listening to music.

1 Like

Paid up front. Now the wait until the end of the yearā€¦
My RCM from them should be dispatched next week.

1 Like

Arrived today ā€¦ any consensus on distilled water and surfactants yet?

1 Like

Consensus I donā€™t know, Iā€™ve stuck with this

and it works, but I canā€™t tell you if itā€™s better with the Ilfotol

1 Like

Yes I read that ā€¦ Iā€™ll try first with distilled. Thanks for reminding me of that post.

I should clarify that what I do now for new or not very dirty records is 5 minutes with distilled water + a drop of Ilfotol, then 2 minutes rinse with just distilled water. As mentioned, I bought two half-liter bottles and reuse the liquids until I spot dirt in them. Itā€™s working very well, but probably it would work well without the Ilfotol :slight_smile: May depend on the kind of dirt, I guess fats or similar are solved better with a wetting agent. (At least thatā€™s true for my eye glasses in the ultrasonic bath).

Enjoy!

1 Like

I use tap water, albeit we have a water softener and a dash of dishwasher rince aid. Done about 250 records in the 10 days or so ive had mine. Nice clean, shiny records.

1 Like