HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

You are absolutely right :+1: I have no problems with it, It has been in use since Christmas and everything is fine. A friend of mine got his HG some weeks ago and he also has no problems with it. Before I owned the HG I had top pay 3 EUR per record at a dealer (GlƤss ultrasonic). I donĀ“t see any difference. I paid 500 EUR for the HG, so after washing about 180 records the whole thing has amortized.

2 Likes

Doh! Thinking about it Youā€™re right, both times were when I hit start without water, so I guess that explains it!
Having said that,Iā€™d expect the machine to just refuse to start rather than pop its circuit breakerā€¦
Working fine so far this morning :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Glad that helped! You are probably lucky that itā€™s fine and that it does have the breaker. It probably has no water sensor for cost reasons but does detect if the ultrasonic emitters heat up or something. The emitters generally have a tendency to break if run without water, normal US bath cleaners always come with the warning to never turn it on without water as well.

1 Like

Yes, I hope it trips before doing damage to the ultrasonic componentry. It seems fine and making the same noises as yesterday during normal cleaning. I will inspect the days first record in a few minsā€¦
Thanks for being thread moderator @Suedkiez ! Very helpful :pray:

3 Likes

Seconded. Really happy with my HG RCM, thanks for raising awareness of it @Suedkiez

3 Likes

No, really ? You didnā€™t put water or itā€™s a joke ?

No, really FR.
Quelle Idiot!
Itā€™s easily done if youā€™re not used to using it or trying to get things done too quickly. The machine is mostly so automated and easy to use that itā€™s easy to forget.

1 Like

And once more to @Bshah who had made me aware!

It happened to me once when juggling a bottle for the liquid with the wetting agent and another for the rinse water, but I hit stop within a second. So itā€™s good to know it has a breaker :slight_smile:

Another tip: It notices if you forget to insert the water tank and refuses to turn on. However, if you play with different liquids and leave a full tank in the machine, and then add another filling into the top slot, it happily pumps the additional water into the already-full tank after the cleaning cycle. Also obvious but another doh moment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, then thank you @Bshah too :slight_smile:

And in more reasonably priced ultrasonic record cleaner news, mine did another two new arrivals last night :slight_smile:

I still havenā€™t tried rinse aid, slightly wary of putting anything other than water through it, plus the affect of it on vinyl, anyone any advice if Iā€™m worrying over nothing?

1 Like

Thanks for the comments @gthack and @Suedkiez, and others, - all helpful, as was watching a different video. However, the beast is still not rotating the full 360, hence only partly damp.

The charming guys from HumminGuru has responded to say that a new unit is on its way.

4 Likes

On its way without me asking ā€¦ great service

2 Likes

Good news ! And I am reassured that the @KJC is in fact working.
Should join you soon.

1 Like

I cleaned 10 albums last night, all of which I had previously cleaned manually. Only two had some surface noise prior to the clean, virtually eliminated after the ultrasonic treatment.

Great product - very pleased.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think there is anything to worry, these things are typically just wetting agents and have been used for vinyl cleaning for ages. You also only add one drop. There are also special ones for vinyl cleaning (which ends up being just a wetting agent as well, anyway), all discussed in great detail further up :slight_smile:

I personally doubt it makes much difference for dust and the like, and could not reliably detect one, anyway (but itā€™s difficult as you canā€™t compare the same record being cleaned with and without). It most likely makes a difference if there are any fats involved - it definitely does for my glasses, which I clean with a US as well.

Nevertheless, I have settled on using two bottles, one with a drop of Ilfotol and one pure distilled water. I first clean and then do another, 2 minute, cycle with the pure water to rinse. I figure better doing it once and right.

2 Likes

No further problems today. Just need to keep it watered! :wink:
A goodly stack of albums cleaned today.

More importantly, I did these by just occasionally popping in and out of the room while I did a whole host of other stuff around the house. THE key advantage over a wet cleaner for me.

7 Likes

And ā€¦ what was the result?

1 Like

Dunno yet, tonight is for listening to a few of them. I sneaked a listen to Debussy prelude dā€™apres midiā€¦ sounded lovely. As others here have described, clearly lowered noise floor, richer, easier, more vivid and dimensional.

3 Likes

Totally agree with that sentiment! The only exception is cleaning whilst listening, I can hear the damn thing in the background :wink:

1 Like

Play louder!

2 Likes