HumminGuru ultrasonic RCM FTW! (The one from Kickstarter)

I was hoping someone would say that X)

2 Likes

I see the uk model is out of stock. Am I right in thinking I could just order a euro model and just use my own three pin iec lead?

I have the euro model and yes it is a IEC three pin lead that can be switched. In addition, see a few posts up and the replies to this:

1 Like

Got it at last. Wouldnā€™t deliver to Jersey so had it shipped to uk and picked it up from there. Will start using on weekend. Any tips?

1 Like

Brew a cup of tea, read the manual, and have fun. Everything else I can think of is already in the thread. Ask otherwise.

2 Likes

I always use luke warm distilled water when cleaning. I get better result this way. I also use a portable waterfilter to filter the distilled water between cleans. The water filters bag also makes it easy to warm the water before cleaning. I use one of these: Sawyer mini-water-filtration-system.
For best result with a dirty record I first clean them with a brush and distilled water + Lā€™art du Son. Then I rinse the record with distilled water in my Knosti and then I use Humminguru.
I never use anything else than distilled water in my Humminguru but I know of people who claim they get good result with Groovewasher G-SONIC. I have never tried it.

Good luck and have fun.

1 Like

1 week in.
Really easy to use. Often resultant less surface noise and more music retrieval.
But ā€¦ Static. All these records have previously been cleaned in a Pro-ject VCS with a resultant lack of static. After cleaning in the HG static has returned - enough to lift the mat off a Linn. Why??

It removes static just fine for me. Did you use a wetting agent with the other RCM and not now with the HumminGuru? If I recall correctly, wetting agents might have an effect on this, so you may want to try with one drop. (Several suggestions further up in the thread)

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine the mechanics of how it was cleaned, i.e. the device having an effect there. So the only explanation that comes to mind is the cleaning agent that was used. Previous one left some kind of film that has now been washed off?

1 Like

Was using the Pro-ject fluid or Right One fluid with the Project cleaner. Just distilled water with the HG. Been wary of using any additives. would either of the above be suitable?

I have cleaned 200 records since Christmas, never had static problems and I also used naked distilled water. Actually I am using the DW with one drop dishwasher cleaner and some drops of Isopropylalcohol. IMO this gives the best results for me so far.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about these fluids but I donā€™t believe they differ so much generally, in the end it always seems to be some kind of tensid.

I currently use a drop of Ilfotol (search previous posts) and @Bshah seems happy with G-Sonic, which comes with an explicit instruction for the HumminGuru (also search previous posts for G-Sonic or by @Bshah in this thread)

Dish washer rinsing agent as mentioned by @krautnaimie should also be fine, the cheaper ones have less useless content like perfume

1 Like

Thank you. I would be happy to use the G-Sonic but itā€™s hard to get to the UK, never mind to Jersey. Would there be a market to buy in bulk for several of us?

Iā€™m finding similar benefits @R.K . Initially, I was also getting problems with Static, but a drop of dishwasher rinse aid in the water and a lot of use seems to have eased it. It still doesnā€™t banish static as well as the ProJect VCS2 and the records donā€™t look anywhere near as visually clean either, but at least I can now easily clean old records and get a notable improvement. I ā€˜knowā€™ the best result would be to clean with both machines, but lifeā€™s too shortā€¦

1 Like

My HG should be shipped today. I wonder how long it will travel from China to France.

2 Likes

I received mine after only 2 days of shipping, good luck :+1::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

If it goes air freight its very fast from China. If its on a boat then about 4 weeks on the water plus customs and local delivery. For the cost of shipping my guess is airmail as they will send it on commercial flights.

1 Like

Delivered this morning, spinning 30 mn later. No problem. I am happy :smiley:

11 Likes

Welcome to the club! :wink:

1 Like

Congrats! How long did it have to dry (does it dry well?) before you could play that nice new RSD release?