Humorous statements from musicians

Never a truer line snorted in jest…

Another gem from Keef :

On being asked why he very rarely uses effects pedals… “I need my feet to stand up.” … priceless!

4 Likes

On the CD The Wingless Angels, (a Jamaican Rastafarian drumming troupe who Keef accompanies on guitar)
The assembled Rasta brethren and Keef are obviously enjoying the local herb and getting increasingly red.
In the pauses much slurred chatter and giggling, “Its alright for you guys, your sitting down!” Keef mumbles, clearly stoned.
:grinning:

Steven Tyler, who was suffering memory loss at the time from years of drug use, heard the song “You See Me Crying” on the radio. He liked it so much, he suggested his group record a cover version, only to be told by his bandmate Perry, “It’s us , fuckhead.”

2 Likes

Bernard Edwards of chic was interviewed by a music magazine and asked about his Musicman Stingray bass. Questioned on what strings he used on the bass Bernard replied I don’t man what strings do the Musicman come with.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I can’t remember which jazz musician said it, but i loved his quote: “Avantgarde is fun to play but hell to listen to” :smile:

Just listening to George Harrison’s Concert for Bangladesh. Ravi Shankar opens the show with a short piece music followed by loud applause from Madison Square Garden only for Ravi to say thank you if you appreciate the tuning up so much I hope you will enjoy the music even more!

4 Likes

That reminds me of a quote from John Lennon: “Avant garde is French for bullshit”.

2 Likes

Humphrey Lyttelton used to say “Avant Garde a Clue”.

2 Likes

I was at a John Williams, John Etheridge concert and as Williams was tuning his guitar Etheridge said it reminded him of a definition he’d heard of a guitarist. “ Somebody who spends 90% of his time tuning and the other 10% playing out of tune”

3 Likes

Sounds similar to Charlie Watts asked at their 25th anniversary what it was like playing in the Rolling Stones he said it’s been 5 years playing and 20 years hanging around.

1 Like

John Etheridge - great guitar player!

1 Like

John Williams isn’t bad!

1 Like

If you are into classical music, this is a priceless one from Max Reger:

‘I am in the smallest room of the house. I have your review in front of me. Soon it will be behind me.’

4 Likes

I cannot verify the authenticity but I was told that it is always so chaotic and noisy backstage before a Rolling Stones concert that Keef is alleged to have said to Mick “Let’s get on stage for some peace and quiet”.

2 Likes

Not sure whether it was apocryphal but a conductor ( think it was Beecham), on asked whether he had ever conducted any Stockhausen, responded, with some thought in his voice: “No … But I once stepped in some”

4 Likes

Upon hearing John Cage’s infamous “silent piece” 4’:33", Igor Stravinsky said he hoped that the avant-garde composer’s next piece “would be a work of major length”.

4 Likes

“If voting could change anything, it would be illegal” Jello Biafra

2 Likes

Mark E Smith to Morrissey ‘Hello Stephen’ (knowing he hated it)
MES describing south side of Manchester as where ‘people sit around wearing deer stalkers and sipping sherry’
MES on bbc match of the day pundits ‘I bet they go shopping together”

Much missed…

4 Likes

Im not a politician, I just suffer the consequences" Peter Tosh

1 Like