Hypothetically...ND555 or NAC552?

With 252DR, 250DR, NDX2/555PSDR & Tab 10 Sigs presently. Maybe, possibly etc etc I might consider an upgrade this year.

Any thoughts re source (my only one) or pre?

Cheers

G

As you have a full Naim chain apart from speakers, I would seriously consider ND555 to replace your NDX2. You already have the 555PS. I suspect you are not getting the best from your 252DR with the NDX2, good though it is.

3 Likes

@GraemeH nice problem to have. @NigelB had the same dilemma, sort of, perhaps he will be along soon.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

I went for the nd555 first and then the 552 later, but @NigelB went for the 552, then nd555. I guess best listen to both if you can.

3 Likes

I use a ND555 into a 252 system but have had both the NDX2 and NDS in my system when I have had problems with my ND555 both the NDS and NDX2 are excellent the NDX2 surprised me at how good it was however the system really comes into it’s own with the ND555 in place.

Different systems, different rooms etc but over the years I have always ended up adopting the source first route.

2 Likes

Yep, I had almost exactly the same dilemma, except I had a NDS (powered ny a PS555DR) at the time. Fortunately my dealer was able to (almost) replicate my source and amplification so I could compare the 552 vs ND555 at the dealers.

Although this was not an ideal environment, I preferred what the 552 brought when comparing the two at the dealer, so I took that pre-loved 552 to try at home in my system. Needless to say the 552 never made it back to the dealer and I traded in my 252/SuperCapDR.

I guess part of the motivation for going for the 552 first was that it was a mint pre loved example that I was able to demo at home. The ND555 was new at the time, so no ex-demo/pre-loved examples available.

I later added a ND555 but have kept my lovely 250DR, as you seem to be planning to do. One day I may be fortunate enough to get that 500DR, who knows.

The slightly frustrating thing for me was that, until the 552 and ND555 came together, I was not hearing the best from the 552 (nor would I from the ND555, if that came first). If you are planning to get both a 552 and ND555 in time, I would wait and see which comes up first, either exdem or pre-loved. As you know, 552s are rare, particularly pre-loved ones. So if one of those comes up first, I’d grab it.

The truth is either a 552 or ND555 will be a wonderful addition, so it really comes down to ‘pragmatic purchasing’.

6 Likes

Thanks folks & Nigel. Most helpful thus far.

G

I would go for a 552

I always believe in source first myself

But still 552 in your case

1 Like

I believe @NigelB summarised it very well, you’ll most probably end buying both ND555 and NAC552DR. So I would buy the one of the two that shows up first.

No need to say that, together, they form a marvellous music reproduction system.

4 Likes

Great summary.:+1:

2 Likes

Interesting question! I would have assumed that the 252 and ndx2 are well matched. Leading question might be are you intending to add any other source be it record player or cd player? If so, the benefit of the 552 would be shared across the platforms. If not, quite a puzzler! The nd555 has a clearly better sound output over the ndx2 and would provide an instant improvement. The impact of the 552 may be less apparent on first audition but provides you with a quality platform in spades. Financially, the 552 will almost certainly hold its value better in terms of depreciation, assuming digital continues to be developed (look at what happened to nds values!).

After going round in circles my choice would be 552.

Peter

3 Likes

I went I for the 552 .it’s awesome,
Now ordered ND555 to replace NDX2 and XPS Dr. My 13 year old lad let slip to mum , “did you know
Dad’s ordered a new streamer “. Ouch

6 Likes

I went 552 first but mainly because my dealer offered me an unbelievable deal on a new one. 12 months later I’ve upgraded my NDS to an ND555 and it’s given another big leap forward.

Both have given a big uplift so I’m sure you’ll be happy which ever one you choose and that the other one will follow not long after.

1 Like

If you get the 552 I don’t think you will stop thinking about a ND555. ND555 first possibly would end the urge for further black box upgrades…
I already had a 552 when getting in to streaming. I auditioned NDX2/555ps at home but was unsure vs. my cds3, and arranged an audition of nd555 vs. NDX2 in a 252 based system and immediately knew 555 is what I will lust after if I get an NDX2, so went directly for ND555 even if it was a bit more than I hoped to spend… So convinced a ND555 will be a fantastic (but expensive) upgrade to your system!

2 Likes

Or Graeme just stick with your current superb setup and be happy.

4 Likes

I had a NDX2 on order to replace my NDX/XPSdr but after a home demo of the ND555 realised that I would end up with one eventually so pushed the boat out and went for it.

I will start making enquires regarding a 552 shortly but have thoroughly enjoyed my ND555 for the last couple of years or so a superb source.

2 Likes

I find that my 552/500 has the ability to create such a wonderful soundstage that it gives an uplift to all sources. Until you hear true bass you don’t know what you have been missing. Even my Rega R10/Aphelion/Aria is so much better. The digital via nDAC/555 from the Innuos Zenith is even better than the vinyl. TV even via toslink is transformed.

I’d start with the 552.

Phil

2 Likes

Just my suggestion, how about speakers?

You have excellent source and amps already and changing one will quickly lead to the other and then the 250DR.

Speakers would make the biggest difference, you would then have a balanced system for years and could be the cheaper alternative?

Thanks Andy. I love my Tab 10 Sig. The gift that keeps on giving.

G

3 Likes

Ouch indeed…but you will not be disappointed.